Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer Wheels ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 09:55 AM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Trailer Wheels ?

Not exactly a track question, but I know some you guys do a lot of trailering.

Do any of you balance your trailer wheels? I have a new 20 ft open aluminum trailer and on my recent trip to the NCM MSP I noticed some vibration at highway speeds. This only the second outing with this trailer - first was much shorter trip and at lower speeds generally. I tried different speeds and tried to watch different road surfaces, but can't isolate to either. The trailer tracks well and pulls fine, just get minor vibration through the track chassis. Is it worth balancing the trailer wheels?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2014, 09:59 AM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

You should always balance any tire that travels at highway speeds.

Something around the house to tow wood, tools, dirt, etc. of course not.

Anything above 50mph, I'd say it's a no brainer. Get it done.
Old 10-16-2014, 11:30 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

I balance my trailer tires. However, those white spoked trailer wheels that come on most lower cost trailers are easily subject to bending and your vibration could be due to a bent wheel.

Bill
Old 10-16-2014, 12:15 PM
brenb
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes...I had mine balanced as well.

Trailer issues suck, and I do everything reasonably possible to avoid them.
Old 10-16-2014, 12:24 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

I towed for a couple of years with open trailer and 15" unbalanced tires. I, then, had them balanced. Go balance your tires.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:04 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

After you get them balanced I would pull the hubs and check to be damn sure the bearings have good quality grease and that they are properly pre-loaded if it is a new trailer. I have had 3 new trailers and every one had bearing issues right off the jump brand new. Time well spent IMHO

If you start to get allot of vibration check the tires for busted belts, generally from running over curbs and jacking. I went through 5 new Goodyear trailer tires ... switched to Carlisle's and problem resolved. Spin the tire with it jacked up and watch the tread ... you will see it instantly if thee tire is damaged internally.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:28 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Good advice on checking bearings. Probably says China. Throw 'em away and get SKS from NAPA. Should be from Japan. That is about as good as it gets nowadays.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:23 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys, I'll pull the wheels and run them over to my tire shop for balancing and check the bearing and grease, ect. I havn't curbed or hit anything, but I guess I cant rule out a bend wheel - I had the dealer upgrade to the polished aluminum wheels. Better run this down while it still under warranty!

Thanks again
Old 10-17-2014, 02:59 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

I have a 20' enclosed aluminum trailer (built by a well recognized manufacturer) and was incredibly annoyed that they cheaped out and didn't balance any of the wheels. I first noticed it when I saw some odd wear in one of the tires and didn't see any weights on the wheel when I pulled it off to replace the tire. I then looked at the other three wheels and there wasn't a weight to be found on any of them either. I do my own tire swaps and balancing so I pulled the other three wheels and balanced them while I was replacing the worn out tire.
I don't understand the logic of some trailer manufacturers.
Old 10-17-2014, 03:52 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Unfortunately, it seems almost common practice for trailer manufacturers to not balance tires when they build a new trailer. Get them balanced like everyone said.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:21 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I recently replaced the tires on my 20' enclosed trailer with Load Range D rubber and had them balanced. The OEM tires had not been balanced and I really can't tell the difference. But balancing the trailer tires is an easy task for any tire shop and is definitely worth the money.

As far as hubs, my trailer has Dexter axles with their EZ-Lube hubs. They can be greased using a grease gun. Sure makes it easy to do compared to the old packing process.
Old 10-20-2014, 06:28 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Most, if not all trailer mfg's., do not balance wheels/tires and use garbage bearings. First thing I do on a new/used trailer is throw away all bearings and replace with good ones. Depending on the trailer I may even completely rebuild the corners with all new brakes, hubs, etc. Basically I throw away everything but the axles themselves if they are in good shape. Trailer parts are not expensive.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:48 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

I guess I just expected that when you buy a better grade trailer from an established reputable dealer that the wheels would be balanced - what was I thinking!!

I'll get the wheels balanced this week and then upgrade the bearing in the spring before the track season.

Thanks again for the help & suggestions
Old 10-21-2014, 12:38 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

While I have my tires balanced every time I change them it really is not a must. I wouldn't make yourself feel as though it is a must.
The bearings however, I've experienced a failure with a very common piece normally sold through trailer parts places while pulling a trailer and it was not good. I was very lucky so now I do everything in my power limit any possible problems. That includes carrying extra bearings, seals, even complete hubs while on the road.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:34 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by PaConehead
I have a new 20 ft open aluminum trailer
Thanks
Keep a close eye on those OEM tires, they are going to self destruct long before any wear shows on the tread. Trailer manufacturers are notorious for using the cheapest Bangledesh rejects they can find.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:32 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by trackboss
Most, if not all trailer mfg's., do not balance wheels/tires and use garbage bearings. First thing I do on a new/used trailer is throw away all bearings and replace with good ones. Depending on the trailer I may even completely rebuild the corners with all new brakes, hubs, etc. Basically I throw away everything but the axles themselves if they are in good shape. Trailer parts are not expensive.
Even featherlite uses dexter axles as delivered; complete with cheap bearings made in China, sorry tires made in Bejing. At least that is the way mine was. I found SKS bearings at NAPA to replace those on there (including an extra set for the road) and will get Carlisle tires when needed.
Old 10-28-2014, 09:26 PM
larryfs
Safety Car

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Most trailer wheels are not hub centric.

I remember years ago, I had a vibe, and I balanced my trailer tires. For $10 / wheel, who cares. It's worth the piece of mind.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailer Wheels ?

Old 10-31-2014, 03:33 PM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 768 Likes on 550 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Even featherlite uses dexter axles as delivered; complete with cheap bearings made in China, sorry tires made in Bejing. At least that is the way mine was. I found SKS bearings at NAPA to replace those on there (including an extra set for the road) and will get Carlisle tires when needed.
Chinese tires on my FL too.

Regarding the bearings, what info do ya need to provide to the counter guy to get the right ones? Is there some commonality between axle manufacturers, or are there several different part numbers to fit different brand axles?

Thanks.
Old 10-31-2014, 05:22 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 69427
Chinese tires on my FL too.

Regarding the bearings, what info do ya need to provide to the counter guy to get the right ones? Is there some commonality between axle manufacturers, or are there several different part numbers to fit different brand axles?

Thanks.
I simply removed the bearings and took the numbers off of them. That is all that the counter person really needs. Get the good grease seal for the inside. Be sure to replace the races, also. Not cheap but gives greater peace of mind.
Old 11-01-2014, 07:03 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Good advice. Always replace races and bearings together. I have taken measurements with mismatched bearings/races and the stack size is different. In some cases very different. They should never be installed otherwise unless it's an emergency(reason I carry a fully loaded hub as a spare in both my trailers). It is relatively easy to pop the old races out of a brake drum and place in new ones with the proper tool.

Quick Reply: Trailer Wheels ?