Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Cells

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 11:06 AM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Fuel Cells

What is everyone doing for fuel cells here? Custom tanks in the stock location? Or are you plopping a big square tank in the trunk/hatch area?

Would prefer not to loose much if any capacity since we will be running E85.

Thanks!
Old 10-16-2014, 02:00 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Running stock tanks....allowed by SCCA since they are well within the frame rails.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:33 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
Running stock tanks....allowed by SCCA since they are well within the frame rails.
The organization I run with requires a fuel cell.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:35 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Originally Posted by rmackintosh
Good GM design from the get go.
Old 10-16-2014, 08:40 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps you can discuss the requirement with a tech inspector?
Old 10-16-2014, 10:20 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Originally Posted by hklvette
Perhaps you can discuss the requirement with a tech inspector?
I can discuss it all day long. But they aren't going to change the rules just for me LOL.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:58 AM
hklvette
Racer

Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
I can discuss it all day long. But they aren't going to change the rules just for me LOL.
Maybe you can if you can convince them that it would be safer to use the stock tanks instead of a rear-mount or passenger-compartment mounted tank. Doesn't hurt to ask. If you need a navigator, rear-mount is the only option.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:42 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

The organization I run with requires a fuel cell.
What organization requires it? Maybe they are trying to eliminate those pesky vettes against the other vehicles.
Old 10-17-2014, 10:25 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
What organization requires it? Maybe they are trying to eliminate those pesky vettes against the other vehicles.
Pikes Peak

http://www.ppihc.com/wp-content/uplo...C-Rulebook.pdf

Fuel Safe made the custom bladders for Pratt & Miller to use in the C5R. That would definitely be the best option, but also the most $$$.

If I were you, I'd save the stock tanks, and run a small bladder type cell in the original passenger side tank location. The stock tanks are 9 gallons each, I would bet that you can fit a 5-6 gallon universal cell in there which should be enough to make it 12 miles, but with 900hp that may or may not be sufficient
Old 10-17-2014, 10:50 AM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Originally Posted by LateBreak
Pikes Peak

http://www.ppihc.com/wp-content/uplo...C-Rulebook.pdf

Fuel Safe made the custom bladders for Pratt & Miller to use in the C5R. That would definitely be the best option, but also the most $$$.

If I were you, I'd save the stock tanks, and run a small bladder type cell in the original passenger side tank location. The stock tanks are 9 gallons each, I would bet that you can fit a 5-6 gallon universal cell in there which should be enough to make it 12 miles, but with 900hp that may or may not be sufficient
I stumbled upon the bladders you mentioned. But haven't shopped for a price yet. I do plan on running track events in the car as well. And on E85 at my power level, the more capacity I have the better. I fully expect at altitude to get about 1MPG on E85.

The whole fuel system is being re-plumbed for E85 and I have a guy in Houston who claims he can fab two stock location cells (as can my shop). I just don't want to reinvent the wheel if I don't have to.

Lets say that I was going to approach the rules makers about this. What exactly am I saying to convince them that after all these years there should be an asterisk in the rules for my car.

JFO
Old 10-17-2014, 11:03 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Lets say that I was going to approach the rules makers about this. What exactly am I saying to convince them that after all these years there should be an asterisk in the rules for my car.
Personally I feel like it would be a tough sell to get an exception, BUT, I don't know the officials, and these cars have the safest fuel tank arrangement that I've ever seen. They're plastic fuel tanks that are literally surrounded by steel. The front of the tanks is against the back of the steel interior seat panel, the outside of them is protected by the frame rails. The inside faces have structural panels covering them, and they're held up from beneath the car by steel pans that I think are about .080" steel, each bolted in place by a handful of 8mm bolts into the frame.

Because of where they are, the car would have to be absolutely shredded within the roll cage confines before they would incur damage. That said, the custom Fuel Safe bladders would be another step up in terms of safety if you can afford them.

If it were a matter of a universal cell mounted in the back of the car or stock tanks in stock location, I'd take the stockers every time, but the custom bladders would be better than either.
Old 10-19-2014, 05:38 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

If you MUST have fuel cells the Fuel Safe, and I thot ATL had some too, is your only option. They copied the GM tanks with a bladder and they want more than the flippin' car for them! ;-) I had a guy that had some and was going to sell them to me for a "discount" but I decided to keep stock.
Old 10-21-2014, 05:58 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Sounds like it's the forest service that is dictating legislation. And I expect their knowledge of race car safety is fairly limited. Despite that, it sounds like I am going to be forced to run a traditional cell.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:56 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

If you have to buy cells......better break out the check book as the only "drop in" cells they make, Pratt has the rights to and you have to buy from them.

The Riley version that was in our ALMS car, you might be able to get, but again you have to buy from Riley to get it.

You will have close to $20k in the fuel system if they make you run cells....unless they have dropped the prices on the cells in the last few years.
Old 10-21-2014, 06:56 PM
Beatnik
Intermediate

Or, you could go with an NA engine, skip the wing, and use the stock tank.
Old 10-21-2014, 09:56 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Thanks for the info Anthony. I have been approached by a builder in Houston who can make custom tanks.

Either way, I think we can stick a cell in the trunk area and still be ok. The car will do some sprint races too. And at the proposed power levels on E85. Capacity will be a premium.

Originally Posted by Beatnik
Or, you could go with an NA engine, skip the wing, and use the stock tank.
The car is already equipped with a TT kit. And the build plans are geared towards an all out build. Honestly, there are other platforms I would have chosen had I wanted to run TA2. The ironic point in your comment, is somehow, by adding power, aero and more grip. All of a sudden, the factory tanks are no longer viable for preventing fire, etc.

Last edited by ratt_finkel; 10-21-2014 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:47 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

I don't think half of these people are reading what you're posting. How much were your fabricators going to get for a set of custom fabbed cells? I imagine if you go to a regular track to screw around that you'd end up dropping your turbos down from kill (900hp) to something more usable. Or will you be using management that allows separate boost settings for each gear?

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Cells

Old 10-22-2014, 10:29 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Thanks for the info Anthony. I have been approached by a builder in Houston who can make custom tanks.

Either way, I think we can stick a cell in the trunk area and still be ok. The car will do some sprint races too. And at the proposed power levels on E85. Capacity will be a premium.

The reason I posted what I did.....because we were going to do pretty much the same thing. You have two choices on fuel cells. ATL and Fuel Safe...which now just happen to be the same company.

Now Pratt and Riley paid to have "exclusive" rights to a Corvette cell so to get either of their designs means you have to buy through them.

You could do the trunk cell....but that puts a lot of changing weight behind the rear wheels.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:54 AM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
I don't think half of these people are reading what you're posting. How much were your fabricators going to get for a set of custom fabbed cells? I imagine if you go to a regular track to screw around that you'd end up dropping your turbos down from kill (900hp) to something more usable. Or will you be using management that allows separate boost settings for each gear?
I plan on running around down here with 800whp yes. I do plan on having separate boost settings. But they will be engaged via a toggle switch. And not gear dependent. I'm not at liberty to discuss the prices on a public forum. Sorry.

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
The reason I posted what I did.....because we were going to do pretty much the same thing. You have two choices on fuel cells. ATL and Fuel Safe...which now just happen to be the same company.

Now Pratt and Riley paid to have "exclusive" rights to a Corvette cell so to get either of their designs means you have to buy through them.

You could do the trunk cell....but that puts a lot of changing weight behind the rear wheels.
Anthony, funny enough I spoke to Dave Albright yesterday. And he suggest I contact you guys

Of course, at that point I didn't realize they had the manufacturing rights. Sounds like it would be out of my budget anyway.

Agreed on the rear cell. It's not ideal. But I may not have a choice. I can handle the balance change. Just need it to be safe and meet our capacity demands (at least 15 gallons).

Once the cage goes in here shortly. We'll have a better idea of how creative we can get with fuel cell placement and design.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:22 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

I plan on running around down here with 800whp yes. I do plan on having separate boost settings. But they will be engaged via a toggle switch. And not gear dependent. I'm not at liberty to discuss the prices on a public forum. Sorry.

Anthony, funny enough I spoke to Dave Albright yesterday. And he suggest I contact you guys

Of course, at that point I didn't realize they had the manufacturing rights. Sounds like it would be out of my budget anyway.

Agreed on the rear cell. It's not ideal. But I may not have a choice. I can handle the balance change. Just need it to be safe and meet our capacity demands (at least 15 gallons).

Once the cage goes in here shortly. We'll have a better idea of how creative we can get with fuel cell placement and design.
I could probably get the Riley style cells. (shown above), which is probably cheaper than what Pratt wants for their cells.

Quick Reply: Fuel Cells