Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tall harness bar?

Old 10-16-2014, 03:19 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Tall harness bar?

Any vendors out there building harness bar for tall guys? ( I am 5'18"), ones I have looked at have too much downward pull.
I have 12 GS Coupe.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:55 PM
road pilot
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,253 Likes on 817 Posts
2023 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2016 C5 of Year Finalist

Do some research. Safety harness. You will find that you don't
want staps too high or they won't work properly.
Old 10-16-2014, 04:27 PM
C2Racer
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by road pilot
Do some research. Safety harness. You will find that you don't
want staps too high or they won't work properly.
I think it's a 12 degree angle below your HANS device? Go to their site.

Steve
Old 10-16-2014, 05:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,911 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by C2Racer
I think it's a 12 degree angle below your HANS device? Go to their site.

Steve
The angle is 20 degrees. Here are the installation instructions for Schroth Competition belts. They are some of the finest on the market and their instructions are the most detailed.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/docs/Co...structions.pdf

Page 12 and 13 are the ones to look at for shoulder harness and HANS usage.

Bill
Old 10-16-2014, 05:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,911 Likes on 5,325 Posts

Originally Posted by speedwaywhite
Any vendors out there building harness bar for tall guys? ( I am 5'18"), ones I have looked at have too much downward pull.
I have 12 GS Coupe.
5'18" in other words 6'6"???? If you are truly 6'6" you may have trouble finding seats that will get your butt low enough that you don't have to open a hole in the roof. The HANS fitment might the least of your worries. Shoulder belt pass throughs will have to be measured against your shoulder height to make sure they don't interfere in the path the belts must follow to their mounting point on a bar. You don't want any part of the pass through touching the belt.

I am 5'10" and had first had a Hardbar mounted in my C6Z. The bar was too high (ran from OEM shoulder belt mount to shoulder belt mount). The bar was extremely close to the seat back so the belt came through the pass throughs and down the front of my shoulders. It did almost nothing to hold the HANS in place. Without the HANS the belt routing was terrible. I had to raise my Ultrashield seat so the belt wouldn't hit the top of the pass through and that made it difficult to mount the seat in the car as the seat back was hitting the headliner. I subsequenty went with a Shark Bar which lowered the bar about 3 inches and moved it backwards a couple of inches. That allowed me to lower my seat and the shoulder belts are some downward as they pass over my HANS and back to their mounting point on the bar. Much better fit.

Bill
Old 10-17-2014, 11:19 AM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Many thanks to all for the helpful info and advice.
Your are correct Bill, 6'6" tall, (5'18" was my feeble attempt at humor). The seats I have tried with belt pass thru holes installed are too low (my shoulders cover the hole. Can I go over the top of OE seats and still have effective belts? Not running HANS device, just running HPDE's currently but would like to be more stable in the seat.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:41 AM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
The angle is 20 degrees. Here are the installation instructions for Schroth Competition belts. They are some of the finest on the market and their instructions are the most detailed.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/docs/Co...structions.pdf

Page 12 and 13 are the ones to look at for shoulder harness and HANS usage.

Bill
Thanks for this link, very good information indeed.
Old 10-17-2014, 11:57 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

If you are not running a HANs, it is ill advised to run a harness...

If you are staying stock seats, then perhaps stay stock belts, and if you are a skinny guy, try angel wings to stabilize you in the seat better.

I'm 6'5-6'6 depending on which 7-11 I rob, and have debated the same. It seems that unless you are going full tilt (race seat, harness, AND HANs) your safety factor is better in stock seat/seatbelts than harnessing yourself in....and making you head/neck the stretch/break point
Old 10-17-2014, 02:32 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight
If you are not running a HANs, it is ill advised to run a harness...

If you are staying stock seats, then perhaps stay stock belts, and if you are a skinny guy, try angel wings to stabilize you in the seat better.

I'm 6'5-6'6 depending on which 7-11 I rob, and have debated the same. It seems that unless you are going full tilt (race seat, harness, AND HANs) your safety factor is better in stock seat/seatbelts than harnessing yourself in....and making you head/neck the stretch/break point
Your points are well taken and I am inclined to agree, much custom (expensive) fab work would need to be done to come up with an effective restraint system. The GS is a dual purpose ride for me that will also be used for road trips etc. Would like to have dedicated track car but budget won't allow (still waiting for C5 Z's to get cheaper, been waiting 5 years!) I will have to trust the air bag system and pray I never need it.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:38 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

I went through the same process with my 11 GS, and now 10 ZR1... I fell back on the if you aren't goign to do it right, its not worth doing... and ultimately, the neck snap of being harnessed without HAN's scares me a bit..

FYI, if you haven;t done it already, a clear top on the GS frees up much needed headroom (and a disconnected seat spring too!)
Old 10-17-2014, 02:47 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

I went through the same process with my 11 GS, and now 10 ZR1... I fell back on the if you aren't goign to do it right, its not worth doing... and ultimately, the neck snap of being harnessed without HAN's scares me a bit..

FYI, if you haven;t done it already, a clear top on the GS frees up much needed headroom (and a disconnected seat spring too!)
Been shopping for clear top, just missed one in Tampa last month, will keep looking. I had a clear top in 05 and moved it to 08 when I traded, should have moved it again. I have not looked into the seat spring yet, how many springs under there? Which one do you disconnect?
Old 10-17-2014, 02:55 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

there are 3 if memory serves across the bottom, i disconnected all 3, then used zip ties so that they still connected... you gain about an inch with that, plus the clear top is another 1.5"...
Old 10-17-2014, 03:36 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

there are 3 if memory serves across the bottom, i disconnected all 3, then used zip ties so that they still connected... you gain about an inch with that, plus the clear top is another 1.5"...
Sounds good, couple more inches of head room would be welcome!

Get notified of new replies

To Tall harness bar?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tall harness bar?