Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

old eyes

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 09:56 AM
woody6244
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default old eyes

So I am 56 and started autocross this year and my eye sight is still good last time I was checked only needed 1/2 a correction so I never bothered to get glasses. Wondering if there are any opinions as to if corrective lens would make any real difference.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:19 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I recommend that you talk with your optometrist. If you have good FAR vision, I would think you are good to go. I am mid 70s, and drive without correction, but I need reading glasses to read.
Old 10-17-2014, 12:54 PM
Lawdogg
Safety Car

Received 210 Likes on 91 Posts

Agree with Garrett. I use contacts for distance viewing and reading glasses for up close. On track, just the contacts.
Old 10-17-2014, 01:55 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by woody6244
So I am 56 and started autocross this year and my eye sight is still good last time I was checked only needed 1/2 a correction so I never bothered to get glasses. Wondering if there are any opinions as to if corrective lens would make any real difference.
Not sure what 1/2 a correction means? Do you have 20/15, 20/20, 20/30 uncorrected?

I have 20/15 corrected with contacts, and for autox (think about looking ahead at little orange cones) IMO whoever has sharper vision has a significant advantage in seeing the course.

I love competing against guys/gals who are squinting to try and see a single slalom cone that I am pointing out to them as we discuss the course.

Maybe not quite as critical for HPDE where you do multi laps on the same course.

For WTW (like autox) I think sharper vision again becomes an advantage.

As for asking the eye doc, I'm not sure that the average eye doc has any personal experience that would "translate" well to the demands of autox/track driving (unless you find one that does it).

IIWM I'd get correction, if needed, to get me at LEAST to 20/20 if not better. It makes a difference if you want to win, or just cruise the course & have a fun day.

Last edited by froggy47; 10-17-2014 at 02:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To old eyes

Quick Reply: old eyes