Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Autocross in my stock 2008

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 02:45 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,620 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Default First Autocross in my stock 2008

I just got the car a few weeks ago and decided to autocross it this weekend. The last time I autocrossed regularly was about 15 years ago, and it was with cars much less powerful than this so I was a bit worried initially.

I forgot to start my GoPro the first two laps and I wish I had video of those because I could not stop pushing the pedal to the floor and spent most of the laps sideways on the throttle! I did not hit any cones all day though, but the first two laps were pretty amusing from both inside and outside the car!

Anyway, once I got better at throttle control, I knocked several seconds off and narrowly missed a trophy by .291 seconds.

Here are two videos of my third and fourth runs. At the end of the fourth run you can see I still got sideways at the finish a bit.

Third Run:

Fourth Run:

My goal was to not break anything and stay on track, so I ended up having a good day.

Last edited by Marcho Polo; 10-20-2014 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:00 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Marcho Polo
I just got the car a few weeks ago and decided to autocross it this weekend. The last time I autocrossed regularly was about 15 years ago, and it was with cars much less powerful than this so I was a bit worried initially.

I forgot to start my GoPro the first two laps and I wish I had video of those because I could not stop pushing the pedal to the floor and spent most of the laps sideways on the throttle! I did not hit any cones all day though, but the first two laps were pretty amusing from both inside and outside the car!

Anyway, once I got better at throttle control, I knocked several seconds off and narrowly missed a trophy by .291 seconds.

Here are two videos of my third and fourth runs. At the end of the fourth run you can see I still got sideways at the finish a bit.

Third Run:

Fourth Run:

My goal was to not break anything and stay on track, so I ended up having a good day.
Nice, you did not forget much.

Old 10-20-2014, 03:18 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The bus lot is a tricky surface. Very inconsistent grip level across the site. And bumps in all the wrong places LOL

That being said, I like the site a lot. Next time say hi to Mark Wortham and Matt Lucas in the Red C5, they run XSSR. You can learn a lot from them.

Anyway, video looked good. Nice and smooth driving. Key to that surface and your car. I've backed away from autox this season. But I'll say hi next time I'm out.

Jeremy Foley
Old 10-20-2014, 04:12 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Glad to have you back. Hope you had a good time. If you get back into it more and need any help, advice, parts, etc. Give me yell.

I have my hands all over (and shocks and my swaybars on) most of the top Corvettes in AS, BS, and SSR.
814-849-3450

More options than any other single company out there. More parts than any other single company I know: Brakes to Safety, Wheels to Exhaust. Suspension to Air Filters: Girodisc, Hawk, Raybestos, Essex Racing/AP, Ferodo, Wilwood, Penske, Koni, Borg Motorsport, Ridetech, Viking, After Dark Speed, Hotchkis, Bilstein, KW, Forgestar, BC Forged, Forgeline, MRR Wheels and on, and on, and on it goes.

Last edited by strano@stranoparts.com; 10-20-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 07:25 PM
vette6500
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a nice course setup, good driving!
Old 10-20-2014, 11:33 PM
Robert Thomas
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I like how close to the cones you made the turns. I have to get better at that. The camera view from outside the driver window is excellent.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

That was a Corvette type of Autocross. I rarely saw parking lot courses that spread out with such gentle corners. The closest courses I saw to that were when we were running on Go Kart tracks.

Bill
Old 10-23-2014, 01:49 PM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,375 Likes on 830 Posts

Nice!
looks like a nice wide-open fast course for an auto-x.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:42 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
That was a Corvette type of Autocross. I rarely saw parking lot courses that spread out with such gentle corners. The closest courses I saw to that were when we were running on Go Kart tracks.

Bill
Funny thing, this is a small lot by most standards. Mineral Wells is our largest local lot and triple digit speeds are possible there with the right course and car.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:56 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,375 Likes on 830 Posts

Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
Funny thing, this is a small lot by most standards. Mineral Wells is our largest local lot and triple digit speeds are possible there with the right course and car.
Wow - I've been to Mineral Wells, your comment makes me feel slow I think I maxed out around 60mph, though that was in a car with about half the power to weight ratio of the C5

Get notified of new replies

To First Autocross in my stock 2008

Quick Reply: First Autocross in my stock 2008