Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strano Performance Parts is now a sponsor. A little about us in here.

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 09:15 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Default Strano Performance Parts is now a sponsor. A little about us in here.

I'll try not to bore you all with a long drawn out tale.

I own and run the business, and we've been in business since 1969. I currently own two Corvettes myself. A 2000 FRC which is starting to be done as an STU autocross car along with some track days, and a 2007 Z06. I have a few other cars, like an A-sedan Road-race 1984 Mustang. I've had 2007 and 2011 Mustang GT's, Focus ST, GTI, FR-S, etc. I'm a car guy. Oh yeah, and I have a truck and some trailers to pull them around with too.

I am a competitor, a racer. I also teach for Evolution Performance Driving School. And I run a shop that sells parts. But because I'm a racer, and I teach driving, I am not the typical "parts guy". I own the place, I don't work on commission and have a quota. I want my customers to get what they need, to get what works for their needs. I do not subscribe to the "I heard on the internet that..." thinking. I try and take time to talk to people, and discuss, not dictate to them what they need.

We're small. Two people work here, sometimes a 3rd when I need a hand. And I will often spend 30 minute or more on the phone with folks trying to help. Because of that, we do not have a killer website, I can't even get all the parts I can supply to you guys on the website. Only so much time in a day. But I can get most everything, most of the time. See something @ Summit or Jegs that interests you? Call me, all I ask is for the chance to help.

I think it's better to have a fewer, if necessary, happy customers who will come back knowing I'm not out to sell them everything they heard they need than just try and sell a lot of crap to you. I operate under that assumption, and it's usually appreciated, sometimes it's not and I get hung up on for trying to help... but I can't be everything to everyone.

I will hang out primarily here, not in other sections because this is where my interests lie, in driving, in turning, in stopping. But I have headers, and clutches and seats too.

Here's a few video's showing some antics in my Corvettes. There are more on my website too (and more on youtube beyond those as well).

Both are kind of time trials on road courses. The first two have a few more autocross elements in it (which is what I primarily do as I like the challenge of it, and it takes away a lot of the power factor and associated bragging about how fast the car went, when it has more power to be used). The clip here was from early this year in my Z06 on Hoosier's run on the infield road course @ Pocono Raceway. The other clip is a thing @ PittRace called TrackCross. Basically a standing start time trial on the twisty part of the track. Power helps here too, but I was there in a stock LS1 FRC powered car on 540 TW Conti DWS's, just to see how the shocks I put on were working with the reast of the known setup (bar and alignment).

Clip 1:

Clip 2: same run, from inside:

Clip 3 Day 2 @ Pocono:

Clip 4 of TrackCross:

I'm one of you, a car guy. I'm not bad at setting cars up, or driving them. I have a total of 15 various SCCA National Championships between ProSolo, Solo Nationals (7 of each) and won the ProSolo Overall Championship in 2009. I was the 2012 Driver of Eminence for SCCA. This year I either setup or helped setup the fastest Corvettes in B-street, A-Street, and SSR/SSRL. Lane Borg and Mark Daddio are both on here and they won B-Street and A-street in those cars. I was 2nd in SSR to a GT3 Porsche (not much shame in that it was less than .5). And Shelly Monfort won her 8th National Championship this year in my Z06. And last year in my Grand Sport, and the year before that in an black Z06 I owned (and before that she was playing with Lotuses and Toyota's and Datsun's).

Anyway, enough of that. Was just trying to hit the highlights and explain a little about me and what we're about. Hope you don't mind, and if you have any questions please feel free to call me.

Sam Strano
Strano Performance Parts
www.stranoparts.com
strano@stranoparts.com
814 849 3450
Old 10-24-2014, 02:44 AM
sd7ss
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Glad to have you aboard as a sponsor, Sam!

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I'll try not to bore you all with a long drawn out tale.

Sam Strano
Strano Performance Parts
www.stranoparts.com
strano@stranoparts.com
814 849 3450
And I'll not try to bore you with a long drawn out welcome. Your reputation precedes you, and that's a very good thing. You seem like a straight shooter, and that is rare and desirable for we amateurs. I really appreciate your style. Hope you find hanging out here interesting and rewarding. I've always found your take on things useful and to the point. I look forward to more posts from you.

Best Regards,
John Brady
Old 10-24-2014, 08:12 AM
JiminVirginia
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sd7ss
And I'll not try to bore you with a long drawn out welcome. Your reputation precedes you, and that's a very good thing. You seem like a straight shooter, and that is rare and desirable for we amateurs. I really appreciate your style. Hope you find hanging out here interesting and rewarding. I've always found your take on things useful and to the point. I look forward to more posts from you.

Best Regards,
John Brady
I can confirm all of that as a Stranoparts customer. Sam will make you faster and probably save you money!

Jim
Old 10-24-2014, 09:18 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Welcome to the Forum. The AX/RR section rocks. Not much drama in this section, just hardcore racers. As a previous Strano customer, I can vouch for his knowlege, pricing and customer service. When I first started doing track days, I had a 2002 WS6, that was equipped with the first sets of Strano coils, shocks, sways etc. Damn I miss that car.

Memories

Nice addition to this Forum
Old 10-24-2014, 09:36 AM
Gas Junkie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've met Sam at several SCCA National Tour AX Events. He's a good guy, runs his own parts, and is fast. Several of my friends have followed his advice and run his parts and they are fast. So if you want to go fast, call Sam.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:51 AM
briannutter1
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Nice to have you on-board Sam!
Old 10-24-2014, 01:37 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by waddisme
Welcome to the Forum. The AX/RR section rocks. Not much drama in this section, just hardcore racers. As a previous Strano customer, I can vouch for his knowlege, pricing and customer service. When I first started doing track days, I had a 2002 WS6, that was equipped with the first sets of Strano coils, shocks, sways etc. Damn I miss that car.

Memories

Nice addition to this Forum
Thanks guys...

Can I steal that picture for my website?
Old 10-24-2014, 02:37 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Welcome Sam, hope the forum sponser thing works out for you, I have no idea how that goes, except now you get to offer "group buys"!

We LOVE group buys!

You have as good street cred as any vendor here plus you have autox expertise which a lot of us focus on.

Sounds like a great matchup!

Old 10-24-2014, 03:04 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Well, I get to be flat out honest very early on. I don't do group buys. They are a nightmare, half the people flake out on them. It's a lot of juggling and haggling I don't have a lot of time for, not while actually being able to help folks on the phone, etc.

My thinking is this. Charge a fair price for good products and back it up with support you can know comes from some real world knowledge. I'm not a super store. I don't have 3 guys trolling the web at all times looking to push parts.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:09 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Well, I get to be flat out honest very early on. I don't do group buys. They are a nightmare, half the people flake out on them. It's a lot of juggling and haggling I don't have a lot of time for, not while actually being able to help folks on the phone, etc.

My thinking is this. Charge a fair price for good products and back it up with support you can know comes from some real world knowledge. I'm not a super store. I don't have 3 guys trolling the web at all times looking to push parts.
Well there ya go, "A" for being honest & up front.

Old 10-24-2014, 03:28 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

That's my thing... sometimes I shoot myself in the foot because of it. Being honest in sales is a tough thing to do and make a living!
Old 10-24-2014, 04:01 PM
klodkrawler05
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad to see you on the forums and nice to meet you in person at Pitts during the USCA event!

You're one of the few people on my short list to call for upgrades this winter as I usually feel its better to spend money on seat time vs mods but eventually I have to get the car performing a touch better as my driving begins to plateau.

- Brad Yonkers
Old 10-24-2014, 04:57 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Hey Brad, it was nice meeting you too. Good luck on your trip to Vegas. Looks like a lot to get done.

I've been seeing your upgrades lately and honestly it's part of what drove me to pony up the money to be a supporting vendor here, since I sell Wilwood and seats, etc. Course you didn't really know that, so here I am!

Don't know if the clip above in the FRC @ PittRace was interesting or not to you. Granted it was from a standing start, but once through 1, the rest is the same (just with less grip and HP than you have).
Old 10-24-2014, 06:43 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Welcome to our side of the track.

Sam has been helping me for several years in upgrading and sorting out my GT500, and it took a lot of work to get that nose heavy, solid axle pig to perform on a road course. He has also provided me good advice on my '13 Boss 302.

As Sam states, he is a straight to the point kind of guy. He won't just shove product at you just to make a sale. He will expect you to have a pretty good idea about how your car is behaving, and what you are trying to improve. This process can be challenging for inexperienced drivers, but it is because he has your best interest in mind.

Tom
Old 10-25-2014, 12:46 PM
The Bus
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've known Sam for about 15 years. Extremely honest and a great setup tech. Trust him to supply your autoX/racing needs.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:09 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Sam, glad to have you here.

I've bought a ton of parts of Sam. The parts themselves and the service especially has been excellent. He'll be getting a call when I order my STU parts.
Old 10-25-2014, 09:30 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Great to have you on as a sponsor Sam. You're always a wealth of information and always willing to help anyone who asks.

Get notified of new replies

To Strano Performance Parts is now a sponsor. A little about us in here.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:48 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Sam is a great guy who helped my a lot in the development of my Camaro over the years before I decided to turn it into a ball of tin foil....Welcome Sam!!!
Old 10-26-2014, 09:05 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks guys...

Can I steal that picture for my website?
Fine with me. Here is my favorite from Rd ATL with the springs, sways, pads etc:

Old 10-27-2014, 02:50 PM
klodkrawler05
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Hey Brad, it was nice meeting you too. Good luck on your trip to Vegas. Looks like a lot to get done.

I've been seeing your upgrades lately and honestly it's part of what drove me to pony up the money to be a supporting vendor here, since I sell Wilwood and seats, etc. Course you didn't really know that, so here I am!

Don't know if the clip above in the FRC @ PittRace was interesting or not to you. Granted it was from a standing start, but once through 1, the rest is the same (just with less grip and HP than you have).
It was quite interesting to see! I meant to do a side by side of that clip with my clip starting in corner 1 where our speeds should be pretty similar and see what the gap is for you ahead of me by the end of that section! I'll try to get it uploaded tonight/tomorrow AM now that OUSCI prep is completed.

Quick Reply: Strano Performance Parts is now a sponsor. A little about us in here.