Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Palm Beach International Raceway Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2014, 02:05 PM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Palm Beach International Raceway Reviews

Hi all,

I recently acquired a bone stock C5 Z06 and want to do my first HPDE with it soon. Right now I'm just making sure the maintenance is all up to date, especially with the brakes. Anyway, I saw that Palm Beach International Raceway (http://www.racepbir.com/) is close to me (I'm on the east coast of Florida) and will be hosting a HPDE on 1/4/15 and was considering going. I was wondering if anyone else has attended an event here and has any feedback, as I haven't found much info on the track. I did find some scathing reviews of PBIR from some people in the kart community from a couple years ago, so I'm a bit weary. Also, the track looks a little weak, but I was hoping this might be a nice first event before I make the haul to Sebring or Homestead.

Last edited by miracle_whip4130; 11-11-2014 at 02:10 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:40 AM
andy3101
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Pm me and I can tell you about the track. I have driven it a handful of times over the past several years. (Hpde with a stock c5z, a c6z modded and my last time out was in a stock e90 m3)

It's a good starting track. One long back straight, not a lot of run off area so keeping your self in check is key there. Laps are around 90 seconds give or take depending on your car and tires. I would say it's s pretty enjoyable track (especially if you are conveniently located close to it)
Old 11-12-2014, 07:46 AM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Thank you, PM sent! Anyone else?
Old 11-12-2014, 03:53 PM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

The first time I drove PBIR was in 1968, at a time trial..

In the drivers meeting they gave a handout... At the very top in big bold letters was the statement...

THIS IS NOT A PARKING LOT GYMKHANA!!!! ANYONE LEAVING THE TRACK AT PBIR WILL BE IN SERIOUS DIFFICULTY!!!!

It's changed and improved a lot since when it was basically dredged out of the swamp,,, But some things never change....
Old 11-13-2014, 08:36 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Not my favorite. I really don't like pit exit. We have so many good choices here is Florida. I prefer Homestead or Sebring.

The pits at PBIR really suck. They're dirt. At Homestead we get a garage with water and air.

All that being said it isn't a terrible track it's just that we have better tracks in our area.

Richard Newton
Historic Racing Images
Old 11-14-2014, 09:38 AM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

It is an OK track. A lot of decreasing radius turns. So I find it tends to be hard on brakes and hard on tires. I have run there since they change to the new design track and the pits are paved!! I prefer Sebring or Homestead, but it is OK and close. JD
Old 11-17-2014, 09:24 AM
Iconic
Miller Time Wisconsin 🍺

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,440 Likes on 940 Posts
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2018 C7 of Year Winner
2017 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by miracle_whip4130
Hi all,

I recently acquired a bone stock C5 Z06 and want to do my first HPDE with it soon. Right now I'm just making sure the maintenance is all up to date, especially with the brakes. Anyway, I saw that Palm Beach International Raceway (http://www.racepbir.com/) is close to me (I'm on the east coast of Florida) and will be hosting a HPDE on 1/4/15 and was considering going. I was wondering if anyone else has attended an event here and has any feedback, as I haven't found much info on the track. I did find some scathing reviews of PBIR from some people in the kart community from a couple years ago, so I'm a bit weary. Also, the track looks a little weak, but I was hoping this might be a nice first event before I make the haul to Sebring or Homestead.
I drove PBIR this past April with Performance Driving Group and had a blast. I then drove Sebring a few days later, and reflecting back on driving both tracks, I think I had more fun at PBIR. I say go for it. Then do Daytona, Sebring and Homestead.

You Florida guys have it good down there, 4 tracks and 12 months to play. Up here in Wis we have one of the best in the country with Road America, but as I type this the track is currently snow covered lol.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:37 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

I agree with Jim, not a bad track, but there are better options in FL.

Plenty good to get some experience and have some high speed thrills. We use the same gearing as Sebring 12 hour course so the top speed for us is 150 plus in a LS powered GTA car or our LS6 tube frame Corvette.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:35 AM
sgsvette
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The road course was re-done a few years back and is not the same as the old Moroso track. It's 40' wide and still 2.25 miles long with 12 turns. The pits are on the skid pad, so no dirt and although there are no garages yet, it does have a nice huge tent with a/c where breakfast and lunch are served (at least with PDG). Every turn is different, so it tends to be good for learning. Can't go wrong by trying it out and making up your own mind as to liking it or not. We go there every month. Check it out at Performance Driving Group dot com.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:32 PM
JDIllon
Melting Slicks

Received 297 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by sgsvette
The road course was re-done a few years back and is not the same as the old Moroso track. It's 40' wide and still 2.25 miles long with 12 turns. The pits are on the skid pad, so no dirt and although there are no garages yet, it does have a nice huge tent with a/c where breakfast and lunch are served (at least with PDG). Every turn is different, so it tends to be good for learning. Can't go wrong by trying it out and making up your own mind as to liking it or not. We go there every month. Check it out at Performance Driving Group dot com.
Great group to run with, lots of fun and lots of track time and a great lunch. Give it a try. JD
Old 11-23-2014, 01:05 AM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,431 Likes on 2,796 Posts

PBIR is a fun track, if not the most technical or world class facility. It's a nice little circuit, and the back stretch is pretty long so if you want to go fast, it's a great track to get some serious speed - 140mph is easily attainable.

It's got some fun turns to it, and (as you would expect) absolutely zero elevation change. It's not a super technical track, so if you're a beginner to track driving you've got a great place to learn.

It's not a resort style track by any means. The food there is a little greasy grill (which is actually quite delicious when you've been on track all day). There are no shaded garages. Your staging/hang out area is a parking lot and a grassy area if you get there too late.

I think it's a great track, especially for learning. It's not as hard on you or your car as Sebring, and it's WAY cheaper than Daytona.
Old 11-24-2014, 06:41 PM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Thanks for the responses, guys. I have decided that I will go out to PBIR with performance driving group on 1/17, since everyone speaks highly of the group and that date fits my schedule a little better anyway.

Now I've just got to get the car prepped.....
Old 11-28-2014, 08:56 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

First thing you should do is flush your brake fluid. Totally flush it with some good fluids.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:07 AM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Originally Posted by FAUEE
First thing you should do is flush your brake fluid. Totally flush it with some good fluids.
Yup! Already ordered some Castrol SRF, braided brake lines, and speed bleeders. Probably ordering track pads this weekend.
Old 11-29-2014, 02:13 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

If it's your first track day, I wouldn't waste my time with any of that. Just get some new decent fluid in it. I (and many others) run Valvoline Synthetic DOT3/4 fluid - it works well, it's cheap, and readily available. If you get anywhere near getting the fluid to fail in your first HPDE, you're probably going to get thrown out.

Stainless steel brake lines aren't a bad idea, but certainly aren't going to really make any difference. If the car is in good shape, and around 10 years old now, I'd say the brake lines are probably fine. I upgraded all the lines on my '92 to stainless steel braided, but it had seen some age, and I had a brake fluid failure in it on my first day out with it (thought I had new fluid, very much did not).

As far as pads go, I think you're fine with the stock pads. You may wear them out faster than pads that are more focused on performance, but if you're trying out HPDE, I wouldn't worry about that. For all you know you may try it once and never do it again. It takes a certain kind of crazy to mess up and have one of those pucker moments and decide to go out and do it again. If you just need new pads, The Stoptech Street pads are a good mix, they work well as a street pad and will hold up to use on the track (though they're obviously not a full race pad), and they're fairly priced too.

The main things I would focus on are reliability and safety. make sure all the fluids are fresh and clean, and don't bother doing upgrades to things. Upgrading things like brakes, tires, etc. in a Corvette will get you used to just having that extra hand of god to save you. That's why I bought my C4, my C6GS just had so much performance that even when I messed up, it corrected and covered it for me. And when the car is covering for you, you're not learning. And that's the whole point of an HPDE, to learn car control and about your car.
Old 11-29-2014, 03:29 PM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Originally Posted by FAUEE
If it's your first track day, I wouldn't waste my time with any of that. Just get some new decent fluid in it. I (and many others) run Valvoline Synthetic DOT3/4 fluid - it works well, it's cheap, and readily available. If you get anywhere near getting the fluid to fail in your first HPDE, you're probably going to get thrown out.

Stainless steel brake lines aren't a bad idea, but certainly aren't going to really make any difference. If the car is in good shape, and around 10 years old now, I'd say the brake lines are probably fine. I upgraded all the lines on my '92 to stainless steel braided, but it had seen some age, and I had a brake fluid failure in it on my first day out with it (thought I had new fluid, very much did not).

As far as pads go, I think you're fine with the stock pads. You may wear them out faster than pads that are more focused on performance, but if you're trying out HPDE, I wouldn't worry about that. For all you know you may try it once and never do it again. It takes a certain kind of crazy to mess up and have one of those pucker moments and decide to go out and do it again. If you just need new pads, The Stoptech Street pads are a good mix, they work well as a street pad and will hold up to use on the track (though they're obviously not a full race pad), and they're fairly priced too.

The main things I would focus on are reliability and safety. make sure all the fluids are fresh and clean, and don't bother doing upgrades to things. Upgrading things like brakes, tires, etc. in a Corvette will get you used to just having that extra hand of god to save you. That's why I bought my C4, my C6GS just had so much performance that even when I messed up, it corrected and covered it for me. And when the car is covering for you, you're not learning. And that's the whole point of an HPDE, to learn car control and about your car.
Thanks for the advice. I'm aware that those parts are overkill for my first track day with the car. I decided to go with new brake lines and top of the line fluid just to (hopefully) rule out any potential issues with the brake hydraulics, given that they're ~13 years old. New pads are because the PO of my car had ceramic low dust pads installed and I don't trust those on the track. I decided that I'd rather just go with separate street and track set-ups for pads since they're easy to change out and this won't be my last track day with the car, and the car is also my DD. I'm also working on changing all the other fluids in the car before the track day. I definitely know where you're coming from though and know that the abilities of the car in stock form are greater than my own.
Old 11-29-2014, 10:46 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Thanks for the advice. I'm aware that those parts are overkill for my first track day with the car. I decided to go with new brake lines and top of the line fluid just to (hopefully) rule out any potential issues with the brake hydraulics, given that they're ~13 years old. New pads are because the PO of my car had ceramic low dust pads installed and I don't trust those on the track. I decided that I'd rather just go with separate street and track set-ups for pads since they're easy to change out and this won't be my last track day with the car, and the car is also my DD. I'm also working on changing all the other fluids in the car before the track day. I definitely know where you're coming from though and know that the abilities of the car in stock form are greater than my own.
Keep in mind, most track pads are not compatible with street pads. So it's not just swapping pads, you also have to swap rotors. Not a huge deal, but something to be aware of.

I agree on the ceramic pads, get those off before you try to hit the track, ceramic pads are known to flat out fail, rather than just degrade in performance when they get too hot.

The SRF fluid is great because it doesn't absorb moisture, so in theory it should last longer between flushes. I find it safer overall to just change out fluid more frequently.

The biggest things to remember about track days are to have fun, and check your ego at the door. Oh and that insurance doesn't cover anything that happens on track.

Get notified of new replies

To Palm Beach International Raceway Reviews

Old 11-30-2014, 07:37 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

you're falling into the big $ pit. Your stock Corvette is just fine for track days. Just get all of the routine maintenance items taken care of and drive it.

When it's all said and done at the end of the year you will have spent roughly $1,000 a day. If you start to modify your car that number goes up considerably.

Keep in mind that you're not racing. What the point of buying go fast parts? There's no one to beat. Spend you money on hotels, entry fees and food. Just run more track events.

Here's an article I did a while back about track days.

Richard Newton
Historic Race Cars
Old 12-01-2014, 01:07 PM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Originally Posted by rfn026
you're falling into the big $ pit. Your stock Corvette is just fine for track days. Just get all of the routine maintenance items taken care of and drive it.
That's the idea. I'm replacing all fluids. I'm also replacing the brake pads because the ceramic brake pads may fail during track use and I'm not taking that risk. If they were the stock pads that would be one thing, but they're not. I'm looking at replacing them with the Raybestos ST43 pads because I hear they last multiple track events. I'm also replacing the brake lines because they're old, which you even suggested in your link. Other than that the car is 100% stock down to the paper air filter, and I intend to keep it that way.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:21 PM
StKnoWhere
Tech Contributor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the responses, guys. I have decided that I will go out to PBIR with performance driving group on 1/17, since everyone speaks highly of the group and that date fits my schedule a little better anyway.

Now I've just got to get the car prepped.....
Henry and PDG will take good care of you, great group to track with

Quick Reply: Palm Beach International Raceway Reviews