Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shock bushing/upper mount experiences

Old 11-15-2014, 12:22 PM
RBbugBITme
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Shock bushing/upper mount experiences

Hey all,

I don't want factory rubber or poly and I don't want to lose the stroke from clevis style monoball mounts so I'm looking to make my own version of these. https://www.banskimotorsports.com/Pi...ck_Mounts.html which I believe are also similar to the old Pfadt stuff.

I am actually having trouble searching for experiences with this type of mount and was wondering if anyone could chime in before I start machining.

If this doesn't work out I'll probably start looking into a monoball style pin top mount.

Thanks

Last edited by RBbugBITme; 11-15-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:51 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

I run stock rubber upper and lower shock bushings with my coilovers and I can't think of a reason to change them. I've also run poly upper bushings with no problems. Just my experience.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:56 PM
RBbugBITme
Racer

Shock hysteresis is the reason. I have Penske shocks which are pointless with rubber.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:10 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RBbugBITme
Shock hysteresis is the reason. I have Penske shocks which are pointless with rubber.
A tight rubber bushing will not significantly affect shock hysteresis. At least not enough to affect real world grip on our corvettes. I have triple motons so I'm not sure penske's would make any difference.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:22 PM
RBbugBITme
Racer

The difference is that we both have expensive high quality shocks and I care to eliminate as much hysteresis as I can and you dont.

I'm not concerned about justifying why I want them, I'm looking for responses from those with delrin bushing experience.

Last edited by RBbugBITme; 11-17-2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:19 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

The weakest link, in the Pfadt bushing is the soft interface directly below the top metal flange shown, got slightly chewed up. I just purchase some poly rod with a 55 durometer rating, I will make some replacement spacer and see. But might end up making up with Delrin or UHMW.

Link you posted appears to have a washer in between the delrin. Wonder what material it is made of? Pretty expensive for what it is, way more simple than Pfadt's and very similar to Hardbar's as well!

Bottom line, I do like my Pin Top bushings.

Old 11-15-2014, 09:31 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Originally Posted by RBbugBITme
Hey all,

I don't want factory rubber or poly and I don't want to lose the stroke from clevis style monoball mounts so I'm looking to make my own version of these. https://www.banskimotorsports.com/Pi...ck_Mounts.html which I believe are also similar to the old Pfadt stuff.

I am actually having trouble searching for experiences with this type of mount and was wondering if anyone could chime in before I start machining.

If this doesn't work out I'll probably start looking into a monoball style pin top mount.

Thanks
I run the delrin bushings in the link. They are the same as Hardbar. You do notice the improved platform support and grip over bumps. I used them on Koni's and Penskes. There is more NVH if that matters to you on the street. Be careful how much you tighten them down. There needs to be some movement so you don't side load the shock when these are angled. This is because they aren't a true sphere. These will help on any shock.
Old 11-17-2014, 10:45 AM
RBbugBITme
Racer

Originally Posted by victorf
The weakest link, in the Pfadt bushing is the soft interface directly below the top metal flange shown, got slightly chewed up.
I read that the washer was rubber or similar material to add some preload to the nut.

Originally Posted by autoxer6
Be careful how much you tighten them down. There needs to be some movement so you don't side load the shock when these are angled. This is because they aren't a true sphere.
Thanks for your input, I think I'm going to stick with a true spherical design.

Last edited by RBbugBITme; 11-17-2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Rethought the Pfadt load scenario
Old 11-23-2014, 02:23 PM
RBbugBITme
Racer

Does anyone else make these right now? I'm not seeing great stuff on hardbar if theyre even still in business. Doesn't look like Banski is going to run a special this weekend.
Old 11-25-2014, 01:07 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

vansteel and banski both sell delrin upper mounts.

Cost is 300 for a set of 4

Get notified of new replies

To Shock bushing/upper mount experiences

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shock bushing/upper mount experiences