Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire life question

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2014, 04:45 PM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tire life question

I am looking in to getting some dedicated race tires, but I would like something that will last more than 60-70 runs, if that is even possible. I guess I am looking for best bang for the buck. I would like to go with the Direzze ZII star specs due to our region possibly implementing CAM next year, but I don't want something I am going to regret. I know the R888 are probably my best price right now, but I haven't seen anything on the wear on them (yes I know, not the best autox tire).

A lot of this stems from the fact I will be doing the Evolution driving school in mid jauary for three days and I don't want to ruin my street tires I drive on, or get a set of A6's or V710's and burn them off in one weekend. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:22 AM
Gas Junkie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had pretty good luck with the Nitto NT01. They are decent although not as grippy as the A6. They do last longer than the A6 and are usable for not only autocross but track days as well. They are less expensive than the R888 but are a little limited in available sizes.

Nitto NT01 at Discount Tire Direct
Old 11-20-2014, 10:25 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

60-70 runs is a boatlaod of runs, and you should have killed off pretty much any tire out there if you are driving hard enough in that amount of time...I kill off a set of scrub a6's at about 50ish runs (fronts are done, rears still have some tread, but overall, they are heat cycled out), and they were likely done prior to the 50 run point....

Bang for the buck regardless is getting 18" rims and running scrubs or take offs, at $100-150/tire, unless you are competing for the national level events like Sam and the like, you will be plenty competitive amongst most groups on the scrubs.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:44 PM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight
60-70 runs is a boatlaod of runs, and you should have killed off pretty much any tire out there if you are driving hard enough in that amount of time...I kill off a set of scrub a6's at about 50ish runs (fronts are done, rears still have some tread, but overall, they are heat cycled out), and they were likely done prior to the 50 run point....

Bang for the buck regardless is getting 18" rims and running scrubs or take offs, at $100-150/tire, unless you are competing for the national level events like Sam and the like, you will be plenty competitive amongst most groups on the scrubs.
I would love to do something like that, but living in hawaii that really isn't much of an option. I have a set of rims, but they are all 9.5" wide and that really won't workout the best for me I think. I am going to have to get another set of rears either way and finding stock C5Z rims is like finding a unicorn out here. Plus the shipping cost is like adding a 5th tire to anything I order. Where would I be able to even look for scrubs at? Thanks.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:56 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Todd at GT racing tires and Joe at JFA pheonix racing, both vendors here, carry scrubs

Get notified of new replies

To Tire life question

Quick Reply: Tire life question