Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear brake rotors for C6 Z51 but with different ventilation

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 05:29 AM
Juhatee
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Rear brake rotors for C6 Z51 but with different ventilation

I've had C6 Z51 rear brake discs in my car (C5) but they were very hot on track when compared to front rotors. I had pad wearing issues with them too.

I noticed those rotors take ventilation air from the wheel side and not the drive shaft side as Z06 and base model do. I have Z06 air scoops with ducts pointing on the inside of the disc, the opposite side of where ventilation sucks the air from.

I try to get around that problem by using Z06 rotors but I had to machine those rotor's diameter 8 mm smaller for them to fit with my calipers. These rotors were not that hot and my brake pads lasted longer. However this leaded to another problem: Both discs cracked on the very first track day. This might be due to machining those smaller and outer holes being too close to the edge.

Now I would like to choose an easy way out. Is there a slotted (not drilled) Z51-sized rear brake rotor (with e-brake drum) designed so that it pulls air from the drive shaft side just as other C6 models do.
Old 11-24-2014, 09:44 AM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 164 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Juhatee
I've had C6 Z51 rear brake discs in my car (C5) but they were very hot on track when compared to front rotors. I had pad wearing issues with them too.

I noticed those rotors take ventilation air from the wheel side and not the drive shaft side as Z06 and base model do. I have Z06 air scoops with ducts pointing on the inside of the disc, the opposite side of where ventilation sucks the air from.

I try to get around that problem by using Z06 rotors but I had to machine those rotor's diameter 8 mm smaller for them to fit with my calipers. These rotors were not that hot and my brake pads lasted longer. However this leaded to another problem: Both discs cracked on the very first track day. This might be due to machining those smaller and outer holes being too close to the edge.

Now I would like to choose an easy way out. Is there a slotted (not drilled) Z51-sized rear brake rotor (with e-brake drum) designed so that it pulls air from the drive shaft side just as other C6 models do.
Get a set of centric slotted rotors from Rock Auto Parts. Price good and you'll be done with the drilled silliness. On my Z the slotted rotors outlasted the drilled (in front) 3 to 1.
Old 11-24-2014, 12:14 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know if they make regular centric discs for c6 z51.

I have dba t3 4000 series rotors on my car with c6 z51 brakes. They work well but are not cheap.
Old 11-25-2014, 10:00 AM
Juhatee
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I emailed yesterday to Centric tech support about part nr 12662096SL but haven't got a reply. I'd like to know whether that rotor ventilates oem way or the 'usual' way.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear brake rotors for C6 Z51 but with different ventilation

Quick Reply: Rear brake rotors for C6 Z51 but with different ventilation