Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat to high

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 11:15 PM
Kelly.s
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Seat to high

I got a new roll bar installed in my 2001 convertible, now my seat is to high. I have stock sport seats. If I change to Corbeau A4's are they lower? I asked in the tech section and got no answers.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:43 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you have the Corbeau on a fixed rail it will sit a couple of inches lower than stock.
Old 12-09-2014, 05:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Or you could remove the stock seat from your current seat rails and fasten an aluminum racing seat to them. The front would be about equal in height to the stock seat but the rear would be a couple of inches lower as the seat height in the rear is only the thickness of the aluminum sheet the seat is built out of.

Bill
Old 12-09-2014, 09:47 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Or you could remove the stock seat from your current seat rails and fasten an aluminum racing seat to them. The front would be about equal in height to the stock seat but the rear would be a couple of inches lower as the seat height in the rear is only the thickness of the aluminum sheet the seat is built out of.

Bill
This is essentially what I am doing to solve the "seated-too-high" problem, except I'm taking it one step further and replacing the factory rails with a set of Sparco rails or similar mounted flat to the floor and mounting the seat on those. For a power-seat, this is really the only option that I can see.
Old 12-10-2014, 01:13 AM
Kelly.s
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for the helpful hints. These are good clues.
Old 12-10-2014, 06:49 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Kelly,
I am in the process (a long winter project process :o)) of installing seats. I am 6'1". My car does not have a roll bar. I went with
Sparco EVO II US seats
MTI C5 seat rails

I've driven my car with the seat installed. I felt a little lower in the car. I haven't tried putting on a helmet yet.
Old 12-10-2014, 11:51 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

The low roof height of these cars makes it a real chore to get everything located properly for a 6'+ driver to be fully protected in a rollover. I went so far as to section the stock roof halo for cage fitment as I felt anything lower would be unsafe. My current fiberglass seat is in contact with the carpetless floor, and I'm switching to an Ultrashield aluminum seat to see if I can improve on that.

Bottom line, get the seat as low as you can, you'll need all the room you can get.
Old 12-12-2014, 10:53 AM
Kristobias
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6'2", used MTI seat rails and a Sparco bucket to get low enough to wear a helmet and not hit he roof

Get notified of new replies

To Seat to high

Quick Reply: Seat to high