Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What color should I paint my roll cage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 11:13 AM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default What color should I paint my roll cage?

Title says it all. I'd like the cage to be nice looking. And I'd really like to do something besides black. I really like the idea of colored cages. BUT, I also don't want the tubing to be a distraction.

Does the cage and interior color have any bearing on heat absorption? Want to keep it cool in the summer.

Lastly, what about one of the ceramic heat insulated paints like lizard skin?

Thanks!

JFO

Last edited by ratt_finkel; 12-23-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:33 PM
FuriousDonuts
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My black cage in the UT desert sun is hotter to the touch than my friends' white cages. But the difference is negligible compared to our various 3-layer suits, helmets, cooling systems, and trans tunnel liners. Out of the sun I haven't noticed a difference.

This may be dissenting opinion, but I think you will not be distracted by color. The human brain is amazing at disregarding consistently irrelevant data. For example, I can't think of a time I noticed my a-pillars while racing. I don't think that would change whether it were black, white, blue, or pink.

Last edited by FuriousDonuts; 12-23-2014 at 12:41 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:55 PM
hklvette
Racer

Clear Coat?
Old 12-23-2014, 02:20 PM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

LeFrog painted his green and it looks awesome! But I think that I will make mine either red or white - or both!
Attached Images  
Old 12-23-2014, 04:49 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

My cage is blue and i like it. Not distracting, now my plastidip green and blue exterior is a different story.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:14 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by ratt_finkel
Title says it all. I'd like the cage to be nice looking. And I'd really like to do something besides black. I really like the idea of colored cages. BUT, I also don't want the tubing to be a distraction.

Does the cage and interior color have any bearing on heat absorption? Want to keep it cool in the summer.

Lastly, what about one of the ceramic heat insulated paints like lizard skin?

Thanks!

JFO
I would go with any light color, if a weld started to come apart you would see the dark crack sooner, remote possibility but not unheard of for hand welded stuff.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:23 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,433 Likes on 2,797 Posts

Go with a pearlescent paint like mystichrome. Or maybe just go with chrome in general. you did want it as distracting as possible right? :P

I think I'd be tempted to plastidip it so I could change colors.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:28 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

St. Jude Donor '11-'12

This reminds me of the discussion with my cage guy:

Me: I'm thinking black so it blends in with the remaining interior
Him: Black is dull, and you won't be able to find those little things you drop. How about red, it will really pop on the silver car
Me: How about silver to match the outside of the car
Him: Even more dull, you must be an accountant or a lawyer, besides it gets dirty fast. How about red so it looks like a race car.
Me: What about red? It will pop with the silver car and look like a race car.

I love my torch red cage. Looks cool in pictures, and yes, I have a bottle of touch up paint

But in the end, do whatever makes you happy.
Old 12-25-2014, 01:31 AM
lefrog
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
I think I'd be tempted to plastidip it so I could change colors.
Don't forget that you will rub on the door bars when you enter/exit the car and if you have a window net, that will also scrape the paint where is attaches to the door bar.
The advantage of black is that it doesn't show as much the marks. Also you will need to put SFI padding on the cage and the color choices are pretty limited if you want something that matches your paint.
An atypical color makes it easier for people/spectator to identify the car.

Post some pics when it's painted!
Old 12-25-2014, 07:11 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Do it up like the sprint cars. Just sand it and put some WD 40 on it. Bare metal.

Richard
Old 12-25-2014, 11:30 AM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Dove gray. Goes with any color and shouldn't absorb heat.

Old 12-27-2014, 01:28 AM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I always heard the "light color so you see cracks" bit but I think it's unimportant. Who's making your cage such that the welds are going to crack?

My first cage was a cool grey with black flecks in it. It looks awesome but I am not buddies with the paint guy anymore so I would never pay for that

My current cage is blue to match the car. Looks great, that's the Phoenix way.

But for a budget paint job that is tough as nails and looks cool, too? I suggest that "hammer formed" look spray paint you can get at Home Depot. Grey with some black in it, you can't scratch it, and it's CHEAP! I know a couple people who have done this with great success.

To agree with other's points above, put some airplane "wing edge" tape across the areas you'll rub on, such as the top door bar. It will save the paint and you can't even see it's there.
Old 12-27-2014, 07:50 AM
tytek
Gasoline Addict
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ScaryFast
But for a budget paint job that is tough as nails and looks cool, too? I suggest that "hammer formed" look spray paint you can get at Home Depot. Grey with some black in it, you can't scratch it, and it's CHEAP! I know a couple people who have done this with great success.

To agree with other's points above, put some airplane "wing edge" tape across the areas you'll rub on, such as the top door bar. It will save the paint and you can't even see it's there.
I really like the suggestion for the forged hammered paint. Will look unique and it is pretty durable. Wing edge tape is a great idea too. Thanks!

Last edited by tytek; 12-27-2014 at 08:19 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 06:31 PM
ScaryFast
Safety Car

Originally Posted by tytek
I really like the suggestion for the forged hammered paint. Will look unique and it is pretty durable. Wing edge tape is a great idea too. Thanks!
You're welcome. I learned about the wing tape the first time I put my seat in the car and dragged the base across the top of the door bar and scratched it. It hurt my heart since the car and paintjob were brand new at the time...
Old 01-02-2015, 08:41 PM
LateBreak
Pro

A lot of professional cars are done in white or light gray. Both are clean and neutral so they don't clash if you do the body a different color in the future. Crack visibility is a valid point too, it has nothing to do with build quality and everything to do with the constant and unpredictable stresses on a racecar chassis, doubly-so if you crash.

Beyond all that, if you do the whole interior white it's much easier to see what you're doing when working inside the car.

Get notified of new replies

To What color should I paint my roll cage?

Quick Reply: What color should I paint my roll cage?