Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What will cause pressure build up on power steering reservoir?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 01:46 AM
V4kerker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What will cause pressure build up on power steering reservoir?

My 2007 Base C6 with 84K is having a problem with building up pressure at the power steering reservoir after DD. The lines on the reservoir are starting to leak and after DD when I remove the reservoir cap a good amount of pressure is released. The steering feels fine and no unusual noises.

Is this a pump problem or rotor valve problem or both? I've only filled and drained the reservoir 2 times. Never done a complete drain and fill of the whole system.
I'm thinking I might have melted something plastic in the rotor valve during my last couple HPDE's causing flow restrictions.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2015, 10:28 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Had similar problem on my 03 Z06 shortly before the pump decided to self destruct. The pump was puking fluid out around the cap when warm due to excess pressure in the reservoir. Check fluid closely for discoloration and contaminents. Ended up replacing mine with a Turn One pump - problem solved.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:33 AM
C6psi
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Had similar problem on my 03 Z06 shortly before the pump decided to self destruct. The pump was puking fluid out around the cap when warm due to excess pressure in the reservoir. Check fluid closely for discoloration and contaminents. Ended up replacing mine with a Turn One pump - problem solved.
Had the same problem on my C6 and the solution was the same. Also like the steering feel being more "weighted or heavier" do to the Turn One pump turning slower to manage heat better.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:34 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

It could be a pump problem. However, it could be a fluid fill issue as well. The fluid expands when it gets hot and on track it really gets hot. How full is your system? I found the only way to keep a good pump from puking fluid out of the reservoir is when checking the cold level to make sure the fluid is a shade below the fill cold line. Once I started doing that I stopped getting PS fluid running down the outside of the reservoir.

Bill
Old 01-04-2015, 02:01 PM
flash911
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree, check your pump first and while there make sure your return line has no kinks or is clogged.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:39 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Heat does it, probably from HPDE. I recommend Turn One pump also. It is a bitch to change.

Jim
Old 01-04-2015, 06:48 PM
V4kerker
Racer

Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like a power steering pump replacement.
I was looking in the engine bay today and it looks like that ABS unit is going to chew up my hands during replacement My pulley has holes in the face unlike the C5's so that should help a little. I've watched some of Froggy's videos for a little help also.
I really can't complain about this never did any oil changes on the system with 84K and about 20 track days. Only other part replaced has been the engine crank seal under warranty
Old 01-05-2015, 12:44 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

You may not have a problem at all. Just heat and a bit of pressure.

You will normally build a decent amount of pressure in the reservoir due to fluid and air expansion.

A bit of cap pressure is actually a good thing, it provides some head pressure to the pump helping prevent cavitation which causes even more heat and pressure. Try not to check fluid hot at the track as you actually want that bit of pressure.

Would lay odds your fluid resembles still the color of coco with only 2 fill and drain cycles in 84K? My previous C6 did the same thing but puked out cap all over till I cleaned it out ran Redline and barely touching stick.

Try running Redline power steering fluid. Drain with a turkey baster and refill multiple times till not so dark. Cold line on stick while hot on track barely touching cold. Run normal full line on street to get a larger flush.
Old 01-05-2015, 01:34 PM
Dirk Miller
Burning Brakes

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Default another possible consideration

Originally Posted by V4kerker
Thanks for the replies guys. Looks like a power steering pump replacement.
I was looking in the engine bay today and it looks like that ABS unit is going to chew up my hands during replacement My pulley has holes in the face unlike the C5's so that should help a little. I've watched some of Froggy's videos for a little help also.
I really can't complain about this never did any oil changes on the system with 84K and about 20 track days. Only other part replaced has been the engine crank seal under warranty
Turn One pumps are a great alternative, but Pain Race may have a point about being a pain to replace. I too had heard about the difficulty in this replacement but I needed to do something for all the power steering fluid I'd find after an HPDE event in my 2008 C6 engine compartment. First I tried Red Line fluid, but it did not help. I then chose to put in a Setrap cooler in the spot where GM had located their power steering coolers in their Z51 models. At first I was a bit reluctant to do this because I wasn't sure there would be sufficient outside cool air to circulate here. However, sure glad I went this route. It only took me a few hours to install on my driveway.

I've been reminded more than once that the race cars that stay the coolest stay out on the track the longest.

Good luck here
Old 01-05-2015, 07:18 PM
05C6GAC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would recommend if you have an older C6 with the short return hose to order the longer hose (same Part Number) (also part of a recall I believe) if will be much easier to reinstall and if your leak is actually the hose or you damage it, will keep you from having to go in a second time!!! Ask me how I know!!!
Old 01-05-2015, 10:08 PM
V4kerker
Racer

Do any of you know off the top of you head what the total fluid capacity is of the system and is there a filter on the C6 power steering system? I see some of the foreign cars have one on the reservoir supply going to pump.
Bought a 1/2 gallon jug at auto zone to do some more flushing. Too cold out in the driveway right now to be busting my knuckles up on a pump replacement Way don't they put drain plugs on the bottom of the steering rack it would make flushing the system so much easier I think
I'm not leaking out of the reservoir cap just at the hose connections on the reservoir and maybe the pump seal. I need to get some real hose clamps the factory clamps aren't tight enough the hoses can spin on the nipples. I'm hoping a good flush will freshen up the system and loosen up mostly some crude/varnish build up than drain and refill again.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:39 AM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

PSC re valves stock pumps for $100. They did on my Camaro anyway, been running it 2+ years.

http://www.pscmotorsports.com/
Old 10-27-2016, 06:01 AM
REDZED2
Melting Slicks

Received 206 Likes on 164 Posts

I know this is from last year.. I am about to put my Z away for the winter next week.... I brought this up a a couple months ago. In my 08 Z. I wonder what is causing a huge pressure build up in my ps system.. Is there a check valve that could be stuck in the pump? I have covered every single part of the ps system and the only leak which becomes a high speed fine spray comes out of the top of the reservoir return line behind the ps reservoir.

I have even put 2 screw hose clamps on the there and the pump still forces fluid out of there under high speed or rpm. What in the pump is causing this? It started not long after a real hard autocross. Which I will not do again. lol The engine hood mat is soaked with ps fluid and of course the mess on the underside of the car as it blows back... just on driver side only.. cant see any leaks from anywhere else. Checked them all and all dry!!

Thanks

Last edited by REDZED2; 10-27-2016 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:24 AM
kmagvette
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I had a similar problem this year. The root cause was the power steering cap. It looks like the leak is elsewhere, fluid leaks onto the belt and coats the underside of the hood as well as the front of the engine. A new cap change cured everything, then just for good measure I put a much better cooler that what came with my C5Z. I already have the TurnOne reduced output pump.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:04 PM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I just replaced my rack (rebuilt by Turn One) and PS pump (also turn one) and the PS reservoir still has pressure after a drive. After each drive I twist the cap off to vent but its always the same pressure release after each drive. Normal? I have no ill effects such as hard steering or noise so curious if i'm being overly cautious.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:21 PM
SocalC5Z
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

There is more at stake here than a simple pump replacement or rebuild if this continues. The fluid ends over heating and foaming which raises the level and cavitates the system with aerated fluid which damages the rack and pump. I did all the messing around with fluid levels and hi performance fluids and it continued.

I went the Turn One route. See my link below. I saw FFB's post about PSC before but could never get anyone on the other end of the phone to give me a real answer, so I went Turn One. Maybe FFB can offer suggestions on contacting them. Turn one cost $230...

My similar thread here
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-turn-one.html
Old 05-23-2017, 10:42 PM
Ludeaem
Racer

Originally Posted by DunlevysZ
There is more at stake here than a simple pump replacement or rebuild if this continues. The fluid ends over heating and foaming which raises the level and cavitates the system with aerated fluid which damages the rack and pump. I did all the messing around with fluid levels and hi performance fluids and it continued.

I went the Turn One route. See my link below. I saw FFB's post about PSC before but could never get anyone on the other end of the phone to give me a real answer, so I went Turn One. Maybe FFB can offer suggestions on contacting them. Turn one cost $230...

My similar thread here
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-turn-one.html
Are you taking to me or the OP?

Get notified of new replies

To What will cause pressure build up on power steering reservoir?

Old 05-23-2017, 10:46 PM
SocalC5Z
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludeaem
Are you taking to me or the OP?
Sorry...replied to the OP, I didn't realize when i replied this was an old thread...
Old 05-24-2017, 10:58 AM
0steering_experts1
Former Vendor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Ludeaem
I just replaced my rack (rebuilt by Turn One) and PS pump (also turn one) and the PS reservoir still has pressure after a drive. After each drive I twist the cap off to vent but its always the same pressure release after each drive. Normal? I have no ill effects such as hard steering or noise so curious if i'm being overly cautious.
Hello,

The pressure in the reservoir is normal. The pressure you are experiencing is created by fluid expansion. When the fluid heats up it expands. When the fluid expands it compresses the air volume in the reservoir creating the positive pressure. There is a relief valve in the cap. It is designed to hold 7.5 psi in the reservoir. The pressure in the reservoir helps to improve intake efficiency and reduce pump intake noise.

Thanks,
Jeff
President of Turn One
The following 2 users liked this post by steering_experts1:
Ludeaem (05-24-2017), naschmitz (05-24-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 12:16 PM
Ludeaem
Racer

Originally Posted by steering_experts1
Hello,

The pressure in the reservoir is normal. The pressure you are experiencing is created by fluid expansion. When the fluid heats up it expands. When the fluid expands it compresses the air volume in the reservoir creating the positive pressure. There is a relief valve in the cap. It is designed to hold 7.5 psi in the reservoir. The pressure in the reservoir helps to improve intake efficiency and reduce pump intake noise.

Thanks,
Jeff
President of Turn One
Thanks Jeff! So I should leave the cap alone in other words

Quick Reply: What will cause pressure build up on power steering reservoir?