Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which foot do you brake with on the track?
Right foot braking
66.32%
Left foot braking
33.68%
Voters: 95. You may not vote on this poll

Right foot or left foot braking?

Old 01-13-2015, 11:35 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Bill: awesome stuff! Thank you for your reply...that is FAST! There's a Formula 1000 that gets work done at the shop that support my GTA car...I always go over and check it out whenever it is there, it looks really sweet!
Old 01-13-2015, 12:56 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
Bill: awesome stuff! Thank you for your reply...that is FAST! There's a Formula 1000 that gets work done at the shop that support my GTA car...I always go over and check it out whenever it is there, it looks really sweet!
They're nice, sound like a F1 but the bike trans is not that great, designed for a 450 lb bike, pulling a 1200 lb car. And hard to take apart. I can pull the entire trans apart on these cars in a half hour.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:23 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill32
Something faster and even easier to work on?

Seriously though, once you start working on tube frame race cars, you can appreciate how much easier it is. Prepping street cars isn't that much fun.

I like working on GT/Stock type cars but even better are the cars where you can pick up a 16 inch slick with one hand to put it on the car.
Agreed!

Jim
Old 01-19-2015, 05:01 PM
Racer86
Safety Car

Received 376 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill32
We also add a left foot brake pedal on some cars, no sense moving your foot very far.
That looks like a crossle formula ford. My wife's had the same left foot brake added.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:29 AM
hemmerman
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default new C7Z owner / A8

I've owned C5vert,C5Z,C6Z and tracked all three. A few years expericenance now and concider my skill level a little above average. I run with the Expert drivers at most tracks only if I know the track pretty well.
my question is specific to The new ZO6 with the 8speed auto. first thing I did after my purchase was go thru the agony of that new stupid breakin period. Then off to Vegas for the Ron Fellows driving experance (very good class) now as first timers there its lead and follow. they taught us C7Z auto owners right foot braking. So after coming back home, I tried that at the track and could not master it very well. To finish my two day event at Putnam Park I did my runs in Drive mode not manual using the paddle. Less drama. best i could do was one second place event. (not worried about that it was practice anyway). If anyone out there has the new ZO6 with paddle shift can help me thru my learning this new car would be great. Ive heard some bad things about trying to trail brake this car. help will be appreciated.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:06 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by hemmerman
I've owned C5vert,C5Z,C6Z and tracked all three. A few years expericenance now and concider my skill level a little above average. I run with the Expert drivers at most tracks only if I know the track pretty well.
my question is specific to The new ZO6 with the 8speed auto. first thing I did after my purchase was go thru the agony of that new stupid breakin period. Then off to Vegas for the Ron Fellows driving experance (very good class) now as first timers there its lead and follow. they taught us C7Z auto owners right foot braking. So after coming back home, I tried that at the track and could not master it very well. To finish my two day event at Putnam Park I did my runs in Drive mode not manual using the paddle. Less drama. best i could do was one second place event. (not worried about that it was practice anyway). If anyone out there has the new ZO6 with paddle shift can help me thru my learning this new car would be great. Ive heard some bad things about trying to trail brake this car. help will be appreciated.
I don't know why RF taught you right foot braking, I learned left foot braking from the beginning of my hpde days. It's fast and effective. I use it on the road and especially in traffic all of the time as it has long since become automatic for me. I can cover the brake pedal with my left foot while in heavy traffic and it has worked well on numerous occasions. Also, trail braking is very easy to do left footed. I use it to gently trim my speed while in a turn and have used it all the way to track-out. I have a GS A-6, shouldn't be any different than the A8.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:55 AM
Primaris
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both. It is corner/situation dependent for me.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:16 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I find it very difficult to left foot brake without a harness. As soon as I apply more pressure, I end up sliding forward in my seat putting more pressure on the brake pedal. Usually I need the left foot on the dead pedal to keep me in place. OTOH, with a harness ...... totally different situation
Old 08-25-2017, 12:57 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Originally Posted by Soloontario
I find it very difficult to left foot brake without a harness. As soon as I apply more pressure, I end up sliding forward in my seat putting more pressure on the brake pedal. Usually I need the left foot on the dead pedal to keep me in place. OTOH, with a harness ...... totally different situation
Same here - I only left foot brake in the race cars - I'm harnessed in - going nowhere!
Old 08-26-2017, 11:52 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Here are some NASCAR guys doing no-clutch shifting and left foot braking on roadcourses.

Joey Logano at The Glen:

Kevin Harvick at Sonoma:

Old 08-26-2017, 02:00 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

wow they don't use the clutch at all. Is the top brace on the gas pedal just so their foot doesn't slip?
Old 08-26-2017, 03:07 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Dog ring boxes - no clutch needed other than stopping/starting - why I love ASA/GTA/TA2/Stock Cars!! Regarding the pedal, yes, that's my guess. I've got roller throttle pedals, they are interesting.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:28 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Dog ring boxes - no clutch needed other than stopping/starting - why I love ASA/GTA/TA2/Stock Cars!! Regarding the pedal, yes, that's my guess. I've got roller throttle pedals, they are interesting.
yeah thought about that after posting. Fun to drive.
Old 08-26-2017, 05:06 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Warning! Don't try clutchless shifting in your OEM cars, folks.
Old 08-26-2017, 10:46 PM
Moto One
Drifting

Received 164 Likes on 101 Posts

The top brace is safety feature incase the throttle spring fails they can lift up to shut down the throttle.

If you have ever race or driven a go-kart you can left foot brake.

Mark

Last edited by Moto One; 08-26-2017 at 10:46 PM.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:34 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

I'll admit I never tried it, at least not consciously, but why not clutchless downshift? This way you can utilize leftfoot braking. Brake. Stick it into neutral, blip the throttle. Bleed off the brakes. Squeeze the gas. Anyone do this?

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Warning! Don't try clutchless shifting in your OEM cars, folks.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:44 AM
mp4659
Instructor

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Unless the corner requires a downshift, left foot braking. Smoother, faster transition back to throttle. That being a said, an excellent right foot only braker is going to beat a mediocre left foot braker....as for trail braking, timing how and when you come off the brake pedal in conjunction with steering input is the art of driving in a nutshell.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Right foot or left foot braking?