Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, the 200tw 2015 autox/track tire questions...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 02:16 PM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by 93Rubie
Hoosier Tire Company to SCCA, "Are we having fun yet kids?"

Don't get me wrong I "get" the street tire thing but dang. I didn't think it would be this bad. Time to go auto-x the Miata in C Street, cheap and cheery.
fwiw i advocated that the scca/nasa/pca/etc., all get together and sit down with hoosier/BFG/whoever else and say 'get us a tire in all these sizes, that will test out to 100+ good runs over 1 full year and still be competitive, under rigorous conditions, and we'll give you a spec tire contract.

no one seemed to like the idea but it sure would be nice from a competitors standpoint.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:26 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by theseal
fwiw i advocated that the scca/nasa/pca/etc., all get together and sit down with hoosier/BFG/whoever else and say 'get us a tire in all these sizes, that will test out to 100+ good runs over 1 full year and still be competitive, under rigorous conditions, and we'll give you a spec tire contract.

no one seemed to like the idea but it sure would be nice from a competitors standpoint.
Well the fact is those that made the decision really didn't want input from others. I know because I was on an advisory committee who's job was exactly that. And while I like my R's I saw the wave coming and I'm not a moron to ignore it. But.... you know how it is, sometimes folks fall in love with their own ideas.

What kills me is simply they picked 200 based on Optima, etc, even though those events draw far fewer people.

What should have happened was something like spec R6 (or some other tire that is available in most diameters). But see, the official tire of SCCA is BFG, and they don't have all the sizes so that was never going to work.
814-849-3450

More options than any other single company out there. More parts than any other single company I know: Brakes to Safety, Wheels to Exhaust. Suspension to Air Filters: Girodisc, Hawk, Raybestos, Essex Racing/AP, Ferodo, Wilwood, Penske, Koni, Borg Motorsport, Ridetech, Viking, After Dark Speed, Hotchkis, Bilstein, KW, Forgestar, BC Forged, Forgeline, MRR Wheels and on, and on, and on it goes.

Old 01-27-2015, 02:28 PM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by theseal

Interesting concept, but past spec tire tests/contracts have been subject to political pressures and $$ behind the scenes so not really practical it would seem. If I were a manufacturer I'm not sure I'd want to be subject to that and also loose market share because of it.
In the long run we as competitors might lose out.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:04 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

Has anyone ran the 305/19 on the gs/z06 rear wheel and had any success? That's the tires thats closest to the stock size rear that's 200tw unless you want to run the 345 Michelin
Old 01-27-2015, 03:22 PM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chetly
Has anyone ran the 305/19 on the gs/z06 rear wheel and had any success? That's the tires thats closest to the stock size rear that's 200tw unless you want to run the 345 Michelin
Mark Daddio won Nationals with that size tire on his C6Z.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:25 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

That's good to know... I was looking at the measurements on tire rack and they are pretty close to the re-11 that I'm running now.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:32 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Mark is on here, but it's also swamped... and might be digging out of a Blizzard too. So I'll chime in best I can since his car is basically a clone of mine but for tires.

Mark started with a set of PSS's, the Hankooks are faster. But Mark also complained (and not shockingly) that he couldn't use the throttle much with the Hankooks. Hard to believe a car with all that power wants more tire grip, isn't it? Ok, sarcasm off.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:43 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by greendot
Interesting concept, but past spec tire tests/contracts have been subject to political pressures and $$ behind the scenes so not really practical it would seem. If I were a manufacturer I'm not sure I'd want to be subject to that and also loose market share because of it.
In the long run we as competitors might lose out.
Nobody said it had to be a contract with a company. They could have just as easily said "Hoosier R6" or XYZ tire instead of 200 TW.

The issue here is simple. Things aren't simple, or as cheap as those pie in the sky dreamers had hoped. Worse for cars like ours as we have fewer choices in tires, they all cost more than some car on 17's, and there is no small investment in rims if you want to just try to change sizes by 1". And even then there isn't much in 18" or 19" for rears.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:53 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Well the fact is those that made the decision really didn't want input from others. I know because I was on an advisory committee who's job was exactly that. And while I like my R's I saw the wave coming and I'm not a moron to ignore it. But.... you know how it is, sometimes folks fall in love with their own ideas.

What kills me is simply they picked 200 based on Optima, etc, even though those events draw far fewer people.

What should have happened was something like spec R6 (or some other tire that is available in most diameters). But see, the official tire of SCCA is BFG, and they don't have all the sizes so that was never going to work.
That's the point I was trying to make in the other thread
Old 01-27-2015, 08:56 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nobody said it had to be a contract with a company. They could have just as easily said "Hoosier R6" or XYZ tire instead of 200 TW.

The issue here is simple. Things aren't simple, or as cheap as those pie in the sky dreamers had hoped. Worse for cars like ours as we have fewer choices in tires, they all cost more than some car on 17's, and there is no small investment in rims if you want to just try to change sizes by 1". And even then there isn't much in 18" or 19" for rears.
All they had to do was use 100UTQG or simply spec R888, 200 was/is stupid.

There is a good street-able tire that comes in tons of sizes and can take the heat of tracking, it's the R888. Available in sizes big and small, wide and narrow, and even has a contingency with SCCA no?
Old 01-27-2015, 10:02 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

MHO is 100 would have been even more dumb and here's why. It still keeps out things like Pilot Sport Cups and some others. All it really does it let in a few things like R888's but renders "street tires" just as useless as Hoosier's do.

TW is a joke to base anything on anyway. 140 should have stayed the number if they insisted on this crap, at least then a few more "street" tires would still be in play like the AD08R, AND then maybe the game wouldn't have been as obvious with tire companies magically changing numbers on their tires. Happened twice already, so far. I hope Yokohama does it too.

This plan has more holes in it than a block of Swiss cheese in a house full of mice.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:32 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That was why I said spec R888. It is the only street tire that comes in a reasonable range of sizes. Nothing else even comes close.

Using a number is stupid because the numbers are meaningless. Nothing is stopping Hoosier from making the A7 "200" UTQG.

Spec R888 would eliminate the Hoosier = trailer+$$ problem that "casual" competitors complain about and eliminate the Street = testing problem that "hardcore" competitors complain about. Done and done... but that would be too easy.
Old 01-27-2015, 11:19 PM
wtb-z
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Hopefully the AD08R appears in 200TW, I liked the AD08 quite a bit.

The R888 is a bad street tire but an even worse competition tire. At least for track events it would cost 3x or 4x as much to keep a competitive R888 on a car based on how fast they cycle out vs a ST* tire.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:13 AM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well SSR is there for those that want to run something other than 200TW tires. (yes you have to run Hoho's and not track day type tires but plenty of sizes and lots of performance) Seems like the Corvette crowd got a pretty good deal in that regard.
Old 01-30-2015, 04:17 PM
94boosted
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What options even exist for guys running a C6Z rear wheel? Michelin PSS, Nitto NT05 and Hankook Ventus V12, that's it isn't it?
Old 01-30-2015, 05:05 PM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 94boosted
What options even exist for guys running a C6Z rear wheel? Michelin PSS, Nitto NT05 and Hankook Ventus V12, that's it isn't it?
There's a 295/35/18 Rival that seems to come and go from the tirerack website

listed on the BFG site
http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire-...ails#techspecs
Old 01-30-2015, 06:09 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

he was asking about the 19's.. 305 Hankook's is what the few people trying this are running.

Get notified of new replies

To Ok, the 200tw 2015 autox/track tire questions...

Old 01-30-2015, 06:26 PM
greendot
Burning Brakes

he was asking about the 19's.. 305 Hankook's is what the few people trying this are running.
Of course he was. My eyes saw C5Z, not C6Z
Old 01-30-2015, 06:27 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

It's cool, you just need to change your avatar picture now.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:44 PM
greendot
Burning Brakes

It's cool, you just need to change your avatar picture now.
What are you saying?
I should take a pic of my Championship jackets?

Oops. That may not have sounded right. Certainly just poking fun at ya'

Quick Reply: Ok, the 200tw 2015 autox/track tire questions...