Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone try Vibrant Aluminum race mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 05:50 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Anyone try Vibrant Aluminum race mufflers?

Trying to mimic what you see in this thread here but at a much lower cost. I already have lightweight inconel 3" over the axle pipes but no cats and no mufflers. Well as you can image it is very loud. Anyone have any experience with the Vibrant Aluminum round race mufflers, good or bad? I am trying to make it quieter without killing much power and with as little weight as possible.

Vibrants on Summit:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...-race-mufflers
Old 01-17-2015, 09:02 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

Probably fine for a drag car where you're only running at high power for only a few seconds. If you tried to run that kind of thing at high power continuously it might not be too happy.

If it's packed with a ceramic wool material the case won't get hot so long as the thing is someplace where the air will flow over it and take the heat away. Motorcycles use carbon fiber muffler outer covers and they are fine so long as the packing is kept in good shape, if the packing goes bad the muffler will burn (don't ask how I know). Aluminum is better than carbon fiber for temperature resistance, but after 400 degrees F it turns into taffy. Bottom line is that it might work, but you'll need to make sure it gets airflow over it so that it can be kept cool and not cook.
Old 01-17-2015, 01:04 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

I don' know if I have seen a RR car with those.....seen them used in drag applications and even seen alum. exhaust on some turbo cars further back in the system.

For a road race car, I would say if you are going to do something like that, you need to have a muffler you can rebuild......like what we put on Mike's car.
Old 01-17-2015, 02:26 PM
victorf
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts

Not a Vette, but basic functionality similiar.

These been on my liter size pocket rocket since 1990. Straight through design, exhaust gas doesn't stay long within but exterior aluminum will kept your skin if touched after it gets up to running temperature.

The rest of the complete headers are titanium. Repacked once with ceramic wool to restore a system that is already loud to begin with.

Weight saving is great.

Considering your question, IMO, rebuiltable is better tho.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone try Vibrant Aluminum race mufflers?

Quick Reply: Anyone try Vibrant Aluminum race mufflers?