Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Re-usable Vinyl Numbers for HPDE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2015, 03:09 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
Default Re-usable Vinyl Numbers for HPDE?

Anyone have a recommendation on where to order some of these? I need a 12" set and a 4" set for an event coming up soon.

Also, if you have experience with something better..or otherwise a reason why I shouldn't go with re-usable vinyl numbers..please let me know.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:55 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Try any of these:

http://www.soloperformance.com/
http://www.squierdesign.com/packages.html
http://www.izoomgraphics.com/index.php?main_page=index

All have reuseable vinyl numbers and letters in a variety of sizes, fonts, and colors.

Just make sure that the body of the car where you are going to put the numbers is clean and dry.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:56 PM
boostcreep
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've ordered multiple sets from iZoomgraphics. Very high quality vinyl, stays put, but is still easy to remove. Quick shipping and excellent customer service too.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:58 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Make the color choice stand out f timing and scoring need to see them.

Black numbers on a dark blue car (for example) not so good.

Old 01-19-2015, 04:01 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

David Farmer. Hes on here all the time
https://www.facebook.com/DavidFarmerRacing
Old 01-19-2015, 04:14 PM
BigMonkey73
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Thanks guys!
Old 01-19-2015, 04:57 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser

Just make sure that the body of the car where you are going to put the numbers is clean and dry.
Another thing to make sure you do is have clean hands when you take the numbers off. If you get dirty fingerprints on the back side of the number it will not stick well after that. If you wash the car before removing them it helps.

Also when you apply the numbers make sure the edges are smoothed down and stuck to the body or dirt will get behind them.

Bill
Old 01-19-2015, 06:01 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Another thing to make sure you do is have clean hands when you take the numbers off. If you get dirty fingerprints on the back side of the number it will not stick well after that. If you wash the car before removing them it helps.

Also when you apply the numbers make sure the edges are smoothed down and stuck to the body or dirt will get behind them.

Bill
The vinyl numbers come on a plastic-coated backer sheet. When you pull the numbers off the car, place them back on the backer and make sure that backer is also clean and dry. Keep a plastic bag handy to store the number sets.

If you have to put numbers on the back of the car, expect them to get coated with exhaust grime and maybe an oil film. I would wash the back of the car where the numbers are placed using lots of car wash soap. Dry the area off so that water from the car won't run down onto the back of the numbers as you remove them.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:17 PM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

How fast can you go before the vinyl starts to peel off? i.e are these just good for AutoX or ok for Road Courses too ?
Old 01-19-2015, 10:28 PM
speedwaywhite
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Soloontario
How fast can you go before the vinyl starts to peel off? i.e are these just good for AutoX or ok for Road Courses too ?
I just got another set from solo performance, first set from them lasted 4 seasons of 4 or 5 HPDE's per season. I have a GS and place them as far forward on the door as possible, fender gills keep them out of the wind. Sebring is home track for me, top speeds of 125/135 (depending how well I get thru turn 16)!
Old 01-22-2015, 04:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Soloontario
The numbers I got from Solo Performance are well used and have often seen speeds over 150. They will come off if you get the backside dirty or don't make sure the leading edge is smoothed down and in contact with the body all the way along the edge. However, dirt is the biggest problem. That is why I would use some green painters tape to hold down an edge where I accidentally got my dirty finger prints on the adhesive. In 6 years I only lost one number.

Most event organizers provide their own numbers and have specific locations for their mounting. At the Glen NASA was the only group out of 5 that I ran with that didn't provide numbers.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 01-22-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 07:26 PM
Magister Ludi
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Petrolburner
I've used the ones from soloperformance 6 or 7 times. They're still useable. The backing sheet, which is basically just wax paper, has gotten wrinkled along with the vinyl number plates. I don't even bother trying to get all the bubbles out when I put them on now. I always clean the door prior to application and just leave them on for the weekend. I put them on at home and then drive to the track and back home where I clean the door and then take them off again. They've seen tons of miles that way and I've had no issues with them lifting up. I get lots of thumbs ups from other drivers when they see me roll by
Just curious. Is that number the static cling type or reuseable vinyl w/ low tack adhesive?
Old 01-22-2015, 07:46 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Petrolburner
I've used the ones from soloperformance 6 or 7 times. They're still useable. The backing sheet, which is basically just wax paper, has gotten wrinkled along with the vinyl number plates. I don't even bother trying to get all the bubbles out when I put them on now. I always clean the door prior to application and just leave them on for the weekend. I put them on at home and then drive to the track and back home where I clean the door and then take them off again. They've seen tons of miles that way and I've had no issues with them lifting up. I get lots of thumbs ups from other drivers when they see me roll by

You tow a camper behind the Vette? I used to know a guy who towed a 30 ft wood cabin cruiser behind his 1960 C1 but he used a dolly to carry the tongue weight. What kind of gas mileage do you get with that rig?

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Re-usable Vinyl Numbers for HPDE?

Quick Reply: Re-usable Vinyl Numbers for HPDE?