Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Tube Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 11:32 AM
lbk16
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Torque Tube Rebuild

I am in the process of rebuilding my torque tube. The car is used solely for HPDE and not driven on the street. I am trying to decide whether to go with solid (aluminum) couplers or stick with the stock rubber variety. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-22-2015, 11:42 AM
cwikstro
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by lbk16
I am in the process of rebuilding my torque tube. The car is used solely for HPDE and not driven on the street. I am trying to decide whether to go with solid (aluminum) couplers or stick with the stock rubber variety. Thoughts? Thanks in advance!
I am doing mine soon also and after seeing my nephew go through a copuple sets in his FRC, he researeched and the german made stock ones are what will last the longest in track duty use. Most of the other types are best for drag use only. I hope this helps you! I also was told to avoid the knock off ones, get the german made that BMW's use too.
Old 01-22-2015, 01:09 PM
lbk16
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks. Makes sense to me.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:28 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

German parts for his Vette?? You just made lbk's day.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:29 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
The difference between a '97 - '00 TT and the '01 and newer is the size of the driveshaft and the couplers.
'97 - '00 - 53mm driveshaft and 10mm bolts in the couplers
'01 and newer - 63mm driveshaft and 12mm bolts in coupler
The newer couplers are also stronger.
Here's all the parts needed. The bearings and slinger ring are the same in both.

I rebuilt mine a few times over the years. I replaced all the bearings and both couplers. I used factory replacements but bought them from BMW because they were cheaper. You need a slinger ring, 3 bearings and 2 couplers. And one Big A$$ pair of C-Clip pliers.

Slinger Ring - GM part number is 12456208 cost $4.42 from http://www.gmpartshouse.com/.
Bearings -

SKF 6007 2RSJEM SINGLE ROW BALL BRGS 1 $25.64
SKF 6008 2RSJEM SINGLE ROW BALL BRGS 2 $29.33
These are the bearing numbers on the original bearings I took out.
NSK 6007 DU need 1
NSK 6008 DU need 2

Drive Shaft Flex Joint part# K1020-31191
Description: 12mm Bolt
110 mm diameter : Uses (6) 12 x 1.5 x 58 bolt.
Trans Type: 5-Speed Vehicle: 1998 BMW 318ti
Engine - Chassis: M44 : E36

Drive Shaft Flex Joint part# K1020-46069
Description: 10mm Bolt
96 mm diameter : Uses (6) 10 x 50 bolt.
Trans Type: Automatic Vehicle: 1998 BMW 318ti
Engine - Chassis: M44 : E36

You can get a FEBI coupler or the Lemforder which is the OEM.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:42 PM
C6RAPTOR
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by lbk16
Call RPM and they can supply, bearings and couplings as well as new bolt kit. I just did my TT . I used the poly coupling on one end, solid aluminum on the other. It all came out great.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:05 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I'm rebuilding mine now and using the aluminum.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:04 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I thought I read a thread by either LGM or Katech where they suggested using solid couplers on one end and flex on the other for cars which are basically street cars which are tracked but not full race cars, and solid on both ends for full race cars?
The following users liked this post:
Drift Vette (09-23-2021)
Old 01-26-2015, 12:25 PM
YYZ06
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Double post... Sorry
Old 01-26-2015, 12:25 PM
YYZ06
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
LOL! So true...

If one was to go with the solid/rubber combo, does it make any difference which one goes where? If I had to guess, I'd say having the rubber coupler up front would be better for driver noise & vibraton. Any other consideratons?

Will having the aluminum coupler cause the rubber coupler to wear faster (require more frequent inspection)?
Old 01-26-2015, 06:38 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

After having a guibo self destruct, then later a guibo bolt self destruct, separately due to a big bump on track (think full compression and rebound while at max acceleration in 4th gear on slicks), two things I learned:

1. I would never use anything but OEM quality (BMW or GM) Guibos. Top teams use more rigid ones but they also rebuild everything more frequently then the hobbyist. NOTE: Top teams drill inspection holes in their torque tubes right at the couplers just so they can see developing problems.

2. Replace all the bolts every time you are in there. Do not resuse any of them. If I could find ARP replacements I would use them.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:49 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
I thought I read a thread by either LGM or Katech where they suggested using solid couplers on one end and flex on the other for cars which are basically street cars which are tracked but not full race cars, and solid on both ends for full race cars?
The W.C. cars (99-07) used OEM rubber couplers at the front and our solid ones at the back along with a carbon shaft.

We went to solid couplers front and rear when we started using the sequential gear boxes in the car, because they shifted so fast it was harder on the rubber couplers.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:51 PM
ratt_finkel
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
The W.C. cars (99-07) used OEM rubber couplers at the front and our solid ones at the back along with a carbon shaft.

We went to solid couplers front and rear when we started using the sequential gear boxes in the car, because they shifted so fast it was harder on the rubber couplers.
Anthony, what do you recommend for my Pikes Peak setup? I have concerns about rubber couplers when I'm on big slicks and 800whp.
Old 04-06-2015, 08:39 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

I went to solid couplers on my street/track car which is slowly becoming a full track car and I definitely notice a lot more vibration throughout the car as I drive it on track. Took awhile to get used to. Almost feels as though something is wrong at times depending on how much throttle you give it. If I did it again I may have gotten one rubber and one solid.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:07 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryTX
2. Replace all the bolts every time you are in there. Do not resuse any of them. If I could find ARP replacements I would use them.
I know that in theory "you can never be too careful", but is that really necessary? Seems to me that the torque spec was pretty light and with the rubber couplers they aren't really subjected to much shock load even in a race environment. With solid couplers that's a different scenario, but I've never heard of one breaking before...
Old 04-08-2015, 06:15 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LateBreak
I know that in theory "you can never be too careful", but is that really necessary? Seems to me that the torque spec was pretty light and with the rubber couplers they aren't really subjected to much shock load even in a race environment. With solid couplers that's a different scenario, but I've never heard of one breaking before...
Personally I'm on a string of bad luck from stuff that shouldn't normally break and does. In my case of bad luck specifically with Guibos, I had one fail on a Saturday and it took two bolts with it. Rebuilt it that night scrounging parts at 3am to have it back together by noon and make a race Sunday. 4 months later one of the "good" reused bolts failed, taking out another coupler and ruining another race weekend, and more importantly requiring another drivetrain drop. The bolts are like $12 from GM. If you are swapping perfectly good looking couplers just because you are in there and being proactive (my new preferred method) than yes maybe you are fine and can get away with re-using the bolts. But if, on the other hand, you are replacing a weakened/damaged/fatigued coupler, I'd absolutely replace the bolts as well. My hard earned two cents.
Old 04-11-2015, 10:39 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Been running solid on both ends for 3 or 4 years now. Big cam, clutch pack, good amount of HP and sticky track tires with no problems. (C5Z) However, I am old enough to know that could change just any day.

Get notified of new replies

To Torque Tube Rebuild

Old 04-12-2015, 03:46 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default motor mounts

after 3 torque tube rebuilds, I learned this the hard way. check your engine mounts! bad or broken engine mounts will make you car eat the rubber quidos in the torque tube.

Yeah I know it doesn't make sense its all bolted together... believe me it does cause this!

In the toque tube I also run a solid in the back and a six shooter in the front, Very good combo, has lasted 3 seasons.. no vibrations

Along with new motor mounts
Old 04-28-2015, 02:32 AM
c6speedjon
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rustyguns
after 3 torque tube rebuilds, I learned this the hard way. check your engine mounts! bad or broken engine mounts will make you car eat the rubber quidos in the torque tube.

Yeah I know it doesn't make sense its all bolted together... believe me it does cause this!

In the toque tube I also run a solid in the back and a six shooter in the front, Very good combo, has lasted 3 seasons.. no vibrations

Along with new motor mounts
What motor mounts? Stock or the Hinson urethane ones? Was also thinking of going with their transmissions mount too
Old 04-28-2015, 03:03 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by c6speedjon
What motor mounts? Stock or the Hinson urethane ones? Was also thinking of going with their transmissions mount too
i just use stock motor mounts get em both for 80 bucks they work good when new first ones lasted 15 years LOL

Quick Reply: Torque Tube Rebuild