Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NCCC Snell approved helmets Where?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 07:08 PM
chiavet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Default NCCC Snell approved helmets Where?

I am trying to find out what helmet NCCC accepts for the 2015 competition season. I'm checking for a friend that will be racing his vette this year for the 1st time. I know it has to be Snell approved. I was given the website helmets.com for a place that had reasonable prices but doesn't exist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:31 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The current Snell rating for motorsports helmets is SA2010. Snell certifies helmets every 5 years so the prior certification value is SA05 or SA2005. Before that it's SA2000 or SA00.

This year Snell will be working on certification of the 2015 line of helmets but that certification usually doesn't appear until the Fall.

Some sanctioning bodies are still allowing SA2000 helmets and others require an SA2005. Check the rule book of the sanctioning organization to see what the rule is. Note that some organizations allow motorcycle helmets too. These helmets will have a Snell rating that begins with an "M".

You might tell your friend to stop at motorcycle shops to see if they have motorsports helmets to try on. Not all helmets fit the same even though they have the same size designation like, S,M, or L. He should know his hat size or the circumference of his head just above his eyes.

For autocross events an open face helmet is very common. For track days, a full-face helmet is much better.

Here's some good sites for buying online:
http://pyrotectstore.com/product-category/helmets/
http://www.saferacer.com/auto-racing-helmets
http://www.summitracing.com/search/part-type/helmets

Amazon is another good source for helmets.
Old 01-23-2015, 08:16 PM
dhowdy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I use an HJC full face helmet that's M2010 rated and was right around $100. Got it from a motorcycle shop. I don't know anywhere local that sells SA rated helmets, but either should be acceptable. I believe that full faced tend to be shorter, which may help if your friend is tall and headroom is tight.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:37 PM
Robert Thomas
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

If you're looking for an autocross helmet, Jafrum has a really nice M2010 HJC full face for around $50. I bought one and like it.

http://www.jafrum.com/Shop-By-Brand/...6-Helmet-Solid

Last edited by Robert Thomas; 01-23-2015 at 09:42 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 09:49 PM
dhowdy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Thomas
If you're looking for an autocross helmet, Jafrum has a really nice M2010 HJC full face for around $50. I bought one and like it.

http://www.jafrum.com/Shop-By-Brand/...6-Helmet-Solid
On closeout... so works if you're an XS or 2XL. I have either that one or CL-17, don't remember, but I like it.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:05 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

[QUOTE=chiavet;1588791529]I am trying to find out what helmet NCCC accepts for the 2015 competition season.

Below is the 2015 NCCC Competition rules for helmets:
A. HELMETS
1. Helmets are REQUIRED IN ALL CLASSES at ALL Speed and Drag Race Events.
2. Helmets must be SNELL Foundation certified, either “SA” (Special Application), “SAH” (Special Application Helmets Configured for use with frontal head restraints) or “M” (motorcycle). A SNELL foundation rating of “K” (karting) is not
allowed. A DOT approval is not sufficient without the SNELL certification.
3. SNELL ratings are updated every five (5) years (i.e., 2005, 2010, etc). The rating
dates for legal helmets must fall within the last two testing cycles.
4. A helmet from the second previous testing cycle is also allowed if it is SNELL certified and has a manufacture date less than ten (10) years old. e.g., in the year 2014, SNELL ratings of SA2005 or M2005 and SA2010 or M2010 will be legal. In
addition, a SA2000 or M2000 helmet would be legal until they exceed 10 years of age. (01/12)
5. The Chief Technical Inspector reserves the right to prohibit any helmet because of
excessive wear, damage, or improper fit.
6. It is the responsibility of the host club to ensure that all competitors use approved helmets.
7. When a competitor owns his/her helmet, it is suggested that the driver’s name,
birthdate, blood type, allergies, date of last tetanus, and any other essential medical
information be affixed to the back.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:43 PM
Robert Thomas
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Jafrum has many M2010 helmets at decent prices. SA2010 are needed if you want track time at most venues.

Amazon has a Zamp SA2020 open face for around $140 and Racequip for $170. I spent some time shopping a couple of months ago.
Old 01-25-2015, 12:16 AM
Deuce Man
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert Thomas
Jafrum has many M2010 helmets at decent prices. SA2010 are needed if you want track time at most venues.

Amazon has a Zamp SA2020 open face for around $140 and Racequip for $170. I spent some time shopping a couple of months ago.

Zamp and Racequipare both SA2010. Not a bad fit, for occasional user not a bad helmet. I have a Zamp and have no complaints.
Old 01-25-2015, 07:34 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

You probably shouldn't buy your helmet online. Fit is so critical you really need to try several of them on.

Here's an article I wrote last year on helmets. Keep in mind that spending more money doesn't get you a better helmet. It might get you a lighter one but not a better one.

Both the Snell and FIA tests are pass/fail. There are no gradations. Helmets either pass the tests or they don't. No manufacturer has proven that they exceed the tests.

Richard Newton
Old 01-26-2015, 07:13 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,918 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by chiavet
I am trying to find out what helmet NCCC accepts for the 2015 competition season. I'm checking for a friend that will be racing his vette this year for the 1st time. I know it has to be Snell approved. I was given the website helmets.com for a place that had reasonable prices but doesn't exist.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Originally Posted by rfn026
You probably shouldn't buy your helmet online. Fit is so critical you really need to try several of them on.

Here's an article I wrote last year on helmets. Keep in mind that spending more money doesn't get you a better helmet. It might get you a lighter one but not a better one.

Both the Snell and FIA tests are pass/fail. There are no gradations. Helmets either pass the tests or they don't. No manufacturer has proven that they exceed the tests.

Richard Newton
I agree. You need to find a shop that has a selection of helmets in different sizes so you can try them on. If the owner is any good he will know how to advise you on which one fits and which one doesn't. There is probably a strong dirt/asphalt short track community in your area and most buy their equipment from local shops. Hate to tell you this: Check the printed Yellow Pages. I know they almost don't exist but they are best place to find something when you don't know the name and the category. The internet and computers fail big time on those kinds of searches and most of the shops have no web presence.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To NCCC Snell approved helmets Where?

Quick Reply: NCCC Snell approved helmets Where?