Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what the f#@$ just happened?!? 24hrs daytona

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2015, 07:41 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default what the f#@$ just happened?!? 24hrs daytona

Would someone explain what just happened? I'm in the stands and don't have commentary but that is some bull! The viper stalled and the BMW was in the Pitts. The 1st place corvette pitted and then was allowed to catch the safety car. The second vette got caught behind safety car. The 1st caught the field putting him a lap ahead. Then they just let the rest of the field Pitt on their own time and then left another 2 laps to catch up. OK I can see that but then the BMW got a second Pitt and it was a super long pit too and was able to catch the field again.

Seemed to me the vette made a good choice when to pit and the BMW had been on bald tires for a while then finally had to come in. But not one but two Pitt stops and gets to make up that entire lap.

This seems like something more is going on here. Seems like NASCAR where pitstops play more a part in the race than driving and machine ability.

At least they are both leading now. Still think it is some bull$#!+
Old 01-25-2015, 03:10 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Pretty much too complex an issue to go into here. The TV commentary ran "sorta" like this:
If a yellow flag incident (wreck) happens during the last 30 minutes of the race, then it will be called a 'SHORT YELLOW', and the Hot PITS will remain CLOSED.
During this closed pit period, the lead Prototype pitted for a driver change, therefore incuring a penalty which caused him to NOT win (4th I think). IF the driver had stayed in that car, (my understanding) the car would have finished in 1st position, but either the car or driver would have been disqualified for a rule infraction (too much seat time for a driver).
How this impacted the BMW (2nd) and the #3 Corvette (1st) I don't know. We will all read about it tomorrow.

Quick Reply: what the f#@$ just happened?!? 24hrs daytona