Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passengers at HPDE's

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 07:00 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Default Passengers at HPDE's

How do you folks coordinate giving rides with people that ask for one at these events? As you know, sometimes the events of the day get to be sort of hectic and you can lose track (so to speak) of things. I am flattered when someone wants to ride with me but there have been times when I left the track at the end of the day and suddenly remembered someone had asked for a ride but I forgot or we just never hooked up. I certainly don't want to cause hard feelings with friends or new acquaintances (soon to be friends, hopefully).
Old 01-28-2015, 07:26 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually coordinate with them early in the day (or before the event) and agree on an on-track session that works for both of us. Then tell them to meet me at my car with their helmet/jeans/HANS/etc 15mins before the session. This way you put the responsibility in their hands.

I do this with buddies, students, etc
Old 01-28-2015, 08:59 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Hat_Trick_Hokie
I usually coordinate with them early in the day (or before the event) and agree on an on-track session that works for both of us. Then tell them to meet me at my car with their helmet/jeans/HANS/etc 15mins before the session. This way you put the responsibility in their hands.

I do this with buddies, students, etc
I modify that a little, but basically thats how I do it.

When they ask for a ride I look at the schedule, come up with a session that works, tell them to show up 10 min before ready to go. If they don't show up - not my problem.
Old 01-28-2015, 09:20 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,927 Likes on 5,332 Posts

Originally Posted by jaa1992

When they ask for a ride I look at the schedule, come up with a session that works, tell them to show up 10 min before ready to go. If they don't show up - not my problem.
There is just too much hassle unless you put the onus on them to be there before you are heading out.

Bill
Old 01-28-2015, 10:17 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

same here
Old 01-28-2015, 10:20 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Yep, it's their responsibility including (at our events) signing the waiver and getting a wrist band.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:34 AM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I had an HPDE student who didn't pass tech ( another long story) and the organizer (a national HPDE organization) asked if I would take him with me in the instructor sessions as an accommodation to him. (He admitted that he had not read any of the event documents).

I physically pointed across the paddock where my truck, trailer and car were parked (probably not 100 yds) and politely asked him to meet there in 10 mins. He told me I could just pick him up at his car on my out and he wouldn't have to walk!! I told him we needed to set his harnesses, get the mic/earpiece in, go a few thing before going out and that it would work better to meet at my car. I waited longer than I should have - he didn't show up.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:44 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by PaConehead
I had an HPDE student who didn't pass tech ( another long story) and the organizer (a national HPDE organization) asked if I would take him with me in the instructor sessions as an accommodation to him. (He admitted that he had not read any of the event documents).

I physically pointed across the paddock where my truck, trailer and car were parked (probably not 100 yds) and politely asked him to meet there in 10 mins. He told me I could just pick him up at his car on my out and he wouldn't have to walk!! I told him we needed to set his harnesses, get the mic/earpiece in, go a few thing before going out and that it would work better to meet at my car. I waited longer than I should have - he didn't show up.
Wow, that's the kind of "student" that you were probably grateful did not pass tech that day. Just because someone shows up with a helmet and car does not mean they belong on a track with other cars/drivers.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:51 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

I get asked to ride and have riders. I just do the best I can and almost never get everyone in. I do the best I can. If the track is open I go out when asked to drive. I don't take many people out in red or Instructor and never push the car with anyone in it.

At my age I don't always show up either! YIKES!

Jim
Old 01-28-2015, 10:41 PM
Nowanker
Melting Slicks
Pro Mechanic

Received 735 Likes on 545 Posts

I'm a little concerned about the liability... regardless of any so-called "release of liability", when bad things happen, lawsuits are sure to follow. it's a sad world.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:16 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

I like that, James; ten minutes before in order to prepare. Works for me.

Originally Posted by PaConehead

You explained it well enough. His loss.

Originally Posted by Nowanker
I'm a little concerned about the liability... regardless of any so-called "release of liability", when bad things happen, lawsuits are sure to follow. it's a sad world.
There is always that thought in the back of your mind. Another good reason to keep it down at less than 8/10ths with passengers.
Old 01-29-2015, 12:06 AM
smellya
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Idk I have had a few passengers and had one fish bowl on me. I am a little reserved on taking them. Even the last few felt a little sick. Maybe I am just a bad driver.
Old 01-29-2015, 10:53 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by smellya
Idk I have had a few passengers and had one fish bowl on me. I am a little reserved on taking them. Even the last few felt a little sick. Maybe I am just a bad driver.
I know what you mean. I have found that using the chatterbox with the passengers helps quite a bit. I always take the first couple of laps really slow to show them the line I will be following, explaining the position of the car on the track and stress looking far ahead to keep ahead of the car. I find this is not only reassuring to them but limits the nausea.
Old 01-29-2015, 01:14 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by smellya
When I was qualifying for instructor, the head instructor got sick while he was observing. Anyone can get a little sick while being a passenger, which means there is probably nothing wrong with your driving.

Now I make sure that I ratchet my driving down to seven tenths or less when I have a passenger and I keep checking in with them to see if they are feeling ok.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:42 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I do find it hard giving rides and instructing. I haven't yet but think once this year I will just do HPDE 4 without instructing to give the rides to friends.

I get sick in all wheel drive cars or cars that have a racing tire and new drivers. Don't get sick on experienced drivers with racing tires.
Old 01-30-2015, 12:58 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

One of my students had an encounter with the wall at the Glen 5 years ago. Nobody was injured but his insurance company (Progressive) made a nuisance of themselves. Right after the event I flew to the West Coast for a vacation and Progressive was constantly calling at 5:30 in the morning asking whether I had any issues. After 3 days of cheery wake ups from Progressive I finally told them to stop calling and I would call them if I decided I had something besides their phone calls to complain about.

One downside is people who get motion sick in a car that is pulling Gs. They think it is going to be like a ride down the highway and suddenly find out a highway trip isn't anywhere near close to a 60% effort on track.

One thing to think about is whether somebody has a health issue. I gave a ride to a guy who came to the track to take a ride with me. For 3 laps he was enjoying the ride and I was increasing the speed on each lap. On the third lap he told me this is fantastic and about 30 seconds later he said "I have to go in now." I thought he had nausea but it was much worse. He was having chest pains by the time I got him into the pits and they had to call the ambulance for him. After working on him for a half hour the ambulance took him to the hospital and didn't get back for two hours. Of course the track was shut down for the whole 2.5 hours due to the one and only ambulance being busy. I got the reputation of the instructor who gave riders heart attacks and all of a sudden I had people lining up to go for a ride.

Bill
Old 01-30-2015, 02:03 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
I got the reputation of the instructor who gave riders heart attacks and all of a sudden I had people lining up to go for a ride.

Bill

your just bad

Get notified of new replies

To Passengers at HPDE's

Old 01-31-2015, 02:46 PM
r1owner
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
. I got the reputation of the instructor who gave riders heart attacks and all of a sudden I had people lining up to go for a ride.

Bill
Are you going to be at VIR with NCM this year? If so, I call dibs on first ride!
Old 01-31-2015, 03:23 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by r1owner
Are you going to be at VIR with NCM this year? If so, I call dibs on first ride!
I may be. I will be there for the Tarheel Event in late April. Have been having some ICE MODE issues going into T1 so rides definitely can get exciting.

Bill
Old 01-31-2015, 09:18 PM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Originally Posted by Nowanker

I always thought those waivers protected the event sponsors. I've never really read one closely but I am not sure it necessarily works between drivers, and student/instructor. I would also not like not having the waiver in my possession. Plus, in my experience they tell you to sign it but you could just about scribble anything.

You can probably tell I'm not big on giving rides.

Quick Reply: Passengers at HPDE's