Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

3.25 lbs Lithium Ion Battery, 725 Amps!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 02:13 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Default 3.25 lbs Lithium Ion Battery, 725 Amps!

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/pr...paign=201502-1

My next battery when current one dies.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:37 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

What happens when you overcharge it?
Old 01-30-2015, 02:55 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

It would probably explode...that's why you can't use a normal charger on it.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:23 PM
gunluvS14
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Can they really deliver 720CCA? that's pretty impressive.

Consider PC680 was the go to drycell for many years and it is 15lb with less advertised cranking amp rating.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:38 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

You try it!

Jim
Old 01-30-2015, 04:44 PM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I have not heard a a lot of good reviews on the above battery
I leaning towards this one:
https://www.braillebattery.com/index...batteries/gu1r
Old 01-30-2015, 06:08 PM
mgarfias
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by bdanyluk
It would probably explode...that's why you can't use a normal charger on it.
My point is how to you run it in the car with the alternator constantly charging it.
Old 01-30-2015, 09:35 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mgarfias
My point is how to you run it in the car with the alternator constantly charging it.
I've been wondering the same thing. I was considering a Lithium battery for my Harley. Battery Tender sells one that is a fraction of the weight and size of the original. They also sell a special charger for them. They get pretty good reviews on Amazon.

http://www.batterytender.com/Batteries/

Reading more on them some of the motorcycle guys say they have to wake them up before they will deliver full cranking amps. Several guys said they would turn the key on and let the light draw for a few seconds before attempting to start the bike.

BUT the charging instructions say not to put more than 10 amps charge current to them so you have to wonder how they withstand the alternator current at constant running.

I don't want to be the first to have one blow up under my seat that's for sure.
Old 01-30-2015, 10:01 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

FWIW the "Shorai" 36 Ah LiFePO4 battery has been available for years now around $275 at ~5 lbs and according to many reviews is just fine being charged by a regular car alternator. This battery is probably fine too.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:15 AM
Gas Junkie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by troyguitar
FWIW the "Shorai" 36 Ah LiFePO4 battery has been available for years now around $275 at ~5 lbs and according to many reviews is just fine being charged by a regular car alternator. This battery is probably fine too.
+1 on the Shorai. I've been running one in my 96 for the last year. I keep it connected to a BatteryTender when it's parked. I've run it down a couple of times doing stupid stuff like leaving the console open and it recharged with no issue. It has enough juice to crank the car for a while. It does seem to be affected by cold. Things get a little draggy when the temp is in 30s.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:41 PM
Solid1
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been running a Shorai for the last two years during the summer without issue. I agree they do lose some power in cold weather. I pull mine out over the winter and maintain it with a standard Battery tender. Great batteries IMO.
Old 01-31-2015, 11:07 PM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

On the cheaper side I have been using these 11 lb lawn tractor batteries for a few years. Have one on my gate opener, one in my 99 Mustang GT, and one in my John Deere 855 Diesel tractor. They only cost $25 at walmart with exchange.

This one has been going strong for 4 years and I even have AC and a radio in the car. I used an aluminum heat sink off one of the old stereo amps for a spacer and replaced the cable ends with crimped and soldered eyelets.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:24 AM
avizandum
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Han Solo
On the cheaper side I have been using these 11 lb lawn tractor batteries for a few years. Have one on my gate opener, one in my 99 Mustang GT, and one in my John Deere 855 Diesel tractor. They only cost $25 at walmart with exchange.

This one has been going strong for 4 years and I even have AC and a radio in the car. I used an aluminum heat sink off one of the old stereo amps for a spacer and replaced the cable ends with crimped and soldered eyelets.
Looks to have more CCA than the Odyssey. Id this robust enough for DD in warm weather?
Old 02-01-2015, 12:44 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

I've bought some cheap atv batteries from autozone and used for a while. My current one is 14lbs. Going with a Shorai next though.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:05 AM
Han Solo
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by avizandum
Looks to have more CCA than the Odyssey. Id this robust enough for DD in warm weather?
Yes. I live in N FL and it has never failed to start even when left outside in 25 degrees and sometimes sitting for a couple of weeks. I didn't use the car for all of 2013 and left a solar charger on it that year. This use to just be a track car but I have put the AC back in it and use it for a DD when the weather is dry now.

I have the same battery in my 3cyl diesel John Deere tractor and even though it sits for months it still starts without having to be jumped off.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:08 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by troyguitar
Ive been using this battery setup for the last couple years and it works great. The only problem is if the temperature gets into the low 30s and the car sits around long enough. all the sudden the battery isnt not going to flow the 500 cca. You can warm the battery up using a cup of coffee or anything else hot (I use steamer bags of rice -$1.65 and then feed the food to the dog) and it takes a 5-10 min but its just one more thing to keep in mind.

Old 02-03-2015, 10:19 AM
Tech Contributor

Location: I tend to be leery of any guy who doesn't own a chainsaw or a handgun.
Received 767 Likes on 549 Posts

Originally Posted by Han Solo

I've been using the slightly bigger brother of that battery (360CA/300CCA, 16#, $29 at local Farm store) in my '69 for the last 4 years. Starts the car just fine at 40* temps (haven't tried at any lower temps). Recently put the same size battery in my C4 (although with a cutoff switch due to ECM/radio current drain during storage).
When the garden tractor needs a new battery I might get a smaller size and try it in the Corvette first.

Last edited by 69427; 02-03-2015 at 12:35 PM. Reason: Corrected (reduced) battery weight.

Get notified of new replies

To 3.25 lbs Lithium Ion Battery, 725 Amps!

Old 02-03-2015, 04:33 PM
vehicular
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lithium ion batteries can catch fire while being series charged like they are in a car, and they burn a lot like magnesium. That gives me the *******.

LiFePO4 batteries are a different chemistry, and won't burn like a lithium ion battery. I think the Ballistic LiFe is a much better battery.
Old 02-03-2015, 04:53 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Originally Posted by vehicular
Lithium ion batteries can catch fire while being series charged like they are in a car, and they burn a lot like magnesium. That gives me the *******.

LiFePO4 batteries are a different chemistry, and won't burn like a lithium ion battery. I think the Ballistic LiFe is a much better battery.
I haven't seen anyone selling a laptop-style lithium ion chemistry battery for cars.

The one in the first post (and every other that I've seen) is lithium iron phosphate just like ballistic and shorai.

A lot of people seem to confuse "Lithium Iron" with "Lithium Ion" - that "r" in there changes the meaning significantly as you noted.
Old 02-03-2015, 05:27 PM
vehicular
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After reading the page more carefully, you're right. I read "lithium ion" and jumped the gun.

Quick Reply: 3.25 lbs Lithium Ion Battery, 725 Amps!