Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Proper Raybestos ST-43 Bed in Procedure

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 09:16 AM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Proper Raybestos ST-43 Bed in Procedure

Hi all,

I'm going to install a set of new Raybestos ST-43 pads and new Centric rotors on my C5 Z06 today and was wondering if someone could tell me the proper bed-in procedure for these pads. I tried emailing Raybestos and got no response and didn't have time to call them before close of business. These pads and rotors will be my track only setup, other than a week or so of street driving before and after each event, and I want to make sure I get these bedded in correctly. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:37 AM
JRL
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

8-10 hard stops from 60 down to 20 mph, don't come to a complete stop. Then drive a round a few minutes to let them cool then park it.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm
Old 01-31-2015, 04:53 PM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Exactly ......and don't get nervous if you even see a puff of smoke after the last few hard stops.
Old 01-31-2015, 07:54 PM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

Thanks, guys. I got the pads and rotors on today. I'll try to find a road without much traffic tonight or tomorrow to bed them in.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:04 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Make sure you don't eat right before doing it, those pads will have your stomach trying to jump out of your throat when you stand on the pedal
Old 02-08-2015, 11:07 AM
miracle_whip4130
Instructor

So I tried bedding them in on my way home from work last week and did I think 7 or so stops from 60 down to 20 mph and then a couple from 80 down to 20 mph. I didn't see any smoke and the rotors didn't seem to have very much pad material on them. After a week of street driving, it looked like the pads had scraped a lot of the thin transfer layer off, so I decided to try again on my way to the track. I did 7 stops from 60 to 10 mph and then 2 stops from 80 down to 10 mph. This time the car and brakes were already warm from the 1.5 hr drive down to PBIR, so I was accelerating a lot faster up to speed between stops because I wasn't worried about babying the cold engine, like I was the first time I tried bedding them in. I think accelerating slowly back up to speed was the reason I didn't get them fully bedded last time. This time I did see some decent puffs of smoke during the last couple stops and the rotors had a nice transfer layer on them when I got to the track and the brakes felt great all day! By the way, FL-711 is perfect to bed-in brakes on the way into PBIR, because if you come from the north, you're on it for ~15 miles, it's almost all straight and flat and there is no traffic at all at 7 am on a Saturday morning.

Anyway, thanks for the tips! By the way, I decided to go up to 80 mph for my last couple stops because the link supplied in post 2 suggested that for track pads.

Last edited by miracle_whip4130; 02-08-2015 at 11:13 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Proper Raybestos ST-43 Bed in Procedure

Quick Reply: Proper Raybestos ST-43 Bed in Procedure