Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Data Recorder Systems

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2015, 01:09 PM
Sealbeams
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Track Data Recorder Systems

Have been doing 2-3 HPDEs for the last few years but the track has no capability for providing lap times, etc. Would like to equip the car with a camera and some sort of data recorder to be able to see where best I can improve (besides enjoy the videos during the winter!). I am technologically not very swift and, probably worse, do not want to spend a ton of money on this (up to $750 maybe). I can probably get a decent camera for under $200 (no, not a GoPro, an SJCAM SJ4000). Have heard of Race Render software and that sounds like it has a role to play, but I sure could use advice.

I tried a thread search, but didn't find anything particularly applicable for my approach. So, if anyone can guide me to some threads, that would be much appreciated. Also any suggestions as to equipment, configurations, etc. would be great. I do not intend to become a racer; I simply want to improve my driving.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:19 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Harrys lap timer. It works, unless you are a real race car driver fighting for tenths or hundreths its more than accurate enough, it costs $20ish (i bought it long ago) plus a mount assuming you have some sort of smart phone. You will need a charger for your phone as well so that's another $10-20 maybe. $100 to get your feet wet in the area of telemetry is awesome imo, and it is a functional tool to watch your progression on track. A year or 2 down the road buy a bluetooth obd2 interface and get rpm and better speed monitoring on decel for another $100, or less for android phones.

Most people use the ram mounting system its nice cause its decent, it stays on the window, and its sold in pieces so you can buy a new phone clip for $13(i just ordered mine yesterday) when you get a new phone. Imo its not perfect as it has 2 joints where 1 would work and I like the phone closer to the window so it wont try to focus on it. The joints cause some vibration in the video but the phone will mostly clear that up so its not detremental to seeing what you're doing but it doesn't allow for making a production quality video.

Last edited by Socko; 01-31-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:42 PM
Socko
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

This is what you get from harrys with obd2 from a iphone 4s recording in low res at 720p in a ram mount. The stuff in the bottom right is added by obd. i think if you buy the higher end pack you actually get some temp gauges too. You get speed without it but its calculated from gps so doesn't keep up on decel.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3y...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by Socko; 01-31-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:00 PM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Ill be using an Android nav($350~400ish) in the dash with Racecrono($10~20) and an external 10hz GPS($80~100) bluetooth OBD($20)
Im not setup yet but I have high hopes for it because of all the info the Racecrono records.
Ill post a thread once I get it all setup and running
Old 01-31-2015, 02:46 PM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

I've got a used Traqmate for sale if interested.
Old 02-01-2015, 08:51 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 383
Ill be using an Android nav($350~400ish) in the dash with Racecrono($10~20) and an external 10hz GPS($80~100) bluetooth OBD($20)
Im not setup yet but I have high hopes for it because of all the info the Racecrono records.
Ill post a thread once I get it all setup and running
Thats my setup basically. Might need to set the GPS down to 5 hz so you don't overload the phone. Just experiment with it.
Old 02-01-2015, 10:11 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Aim solo + gopro.
Old 02-01-2015, 11:09 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
Thats my setup basically. Might need to set the GPS down to 5 hz so you don't overload the phone. Just experiment with it.
I'm hoping the android nav can handle more than typical phones but I bet 5Hz would be fine
Old 02-01-2015, 12:57 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Agree with heavychevy
Old 02-01-2015, 01:33 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

When I first started taking videos with data I wanted to "do it on a budget".... Which in racing really means i am going to spend way more then if I just did it right the first time. I purchased a stand alone Race Chrono system to collect data combined with a Contour camera. This system had positives and negatives. On the positive side, it is very portable and I could easily move it to different cars. I also liked how it would flash colors showing how I did on each sector. The negatives were: 1) camera batteries had to be charged before race day and replaced during the race day (which messed up the camera alignment), the race Chrono also needed to be charged during the day. 2) you had to remember to turn on the camera, data lover, and antenna before each session. 3) adding the data to the video takes multiple steps which is kind of a PITA. 3) the data is never synced accurately to the video, so it is not very useful to evaluate your throttle and brake application timing (which is really important if you are trying to improve your performance).

I recently switched to an AIM SmartyCam that I use with an AIM Pista dash (it also works with the AIM solo). I wish I made this switch years ago. Hear are tho positives and negatives : positive 1) data is automatically integrated and accurately synced to the video, 2) the video and data automatically turns on and off for each session, 3) everything is powered by the vehicle and there are no batteries to change. On the negative side: 1) you have to pick the guage configuration prior to taking the video and it can't be changed after the video has been taken, 2) the system isn't easily portable.

In short, the fully integrated system is far superior if you intend to use the video as a learning tool and it is much easier to use and live with. If you just want to have basic data on your video (and the timing of the synchronization isn't important) so you can show your friends, the cheaper systems are fine... Just more of a PITA to use. Here are some examples:

1) Here is a video taken using the Race Chrono and Contour + camera.

2) Here is a video using Aim Data and Contour + joined. As you can see the data isn't synced well and the data isn't always working properly (Like the g meter moves in the wrong direction).

3) Here is the integrated data using a SmartyCam HDGP and Data from the Pista dash.

Last edited by Charley Hoyt; 02-01-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Old 02-01-2015, 02:05 PM
Drifting

What can I do to get brake data from my vette(C6)? They don't have it in OBD.
Is there a sensor I could add to the pedal itself to read braking?
Old 02-02-2015, 09:32 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Aim solo + gopro.

And once you figure out their software, it's a piece of cake to produce some pretty nice videos. I use Racerender software to easily combine the AIM data with the video.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:07 PM
Sealbeams
Advanced

As usual when I have asked for help, your comments have been invaluable - thanks much! And Mr Hoyt, those videos were not only informative but a welcome break from cabin fever here!

Quite a bit to think about. Will probably first look into the AIM Solo and a camera with RaceRender software and see if that would work (well, I know it would, the question is could I get it to work). The Harry's ap sounds good, too. My son uses it in Autox although he is looking for more precision as he gets faster.

Again, thanks!

Sealbams
Old 02-02-2015, 04:27 PM
VThokies
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Aim solo + gopro.
This is what I use as well. Plus Race Render software.

Get notified of new replies

To Track Data Recorder Systems

Quick Reply: Track Data Recorder Systems