Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How did you cut your OEM brake ducts to install the DRM's

Old 02-02-2015, 05:50 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default How did you cut your OEM brake ducts to install the DRM's

How did you cut these? Better yet, how do you get them out? It looks like I need to cut them to even get them out of the car! Looks like the entire inner fender needs to come out, or the front nose needs to come off. Both of which I'm not excited about. Instead is this a sawzal job or coping saw? Could use some advice on this first step which the instructions don't instruct you on.

I have the bottom access panels out, along with all the intake components. These were removed for the tow hook install.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:01 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Remove the inner fender, it's not that hard. There are about 7-8 screws around the perimeter. It should not take you more than 15 minutes the first time. If you try to cut the factory duct off with a sawzall, you will only make a mess.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:04 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I just cut both and mated them together. It's been working fine for years now. I run 10.5 X 18 square with 315/30/18s.

As you can tell I actually ended up cutting the factory duct to the rear of where it exits the front fender well liner.

Last edited by Last C5; 02-02-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-02-2015, 07:40 PM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Dan, are you going to be running Speedline 18's up front?
Old 02-03-2015, 12:30 AM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah, not quite a bolt on...but it's not as bad as it looks initially. Hopefully the pics I took during my install will help someone else. This pic shows
what I removed from the OE ducts

I used a cutoff wheel to slot the OE ducts so they would fit inside the DRM ducting. There was no way they would have worked as is.

This pic shows them installed, I used black racers tape to tape up the seam.

This clears 285's on 18X10.5's, just be careful not to go full lock in the pits.

Last edited by ZedO6; 02-03-2015 at 12:37 AM.
Old 02-03-2015, 08:04 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Ludeaem
Dan, are you going to be running Speedline 18's up front?
I plan to run stock 17" on the front for street use. Track will be a mix of 18" fronts and 17" depending on budget. My goal is to have 18" fronts at some point this year.

Why do you ask? Will these not work with 17" speedlines?
Old 02-03-2015, 08:08 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Zed06,
Thank you for your response and pics. I have had several people (Tim your the man!) help with pics of their setup and it is greatly appreciated. My problem is getting the ducts out of the car and on the bench like your first photo. Instructions don't mention removing the inner fender, but that sounds like what I need to do. It didn't look like the job was just a couple bolts but I'll take another look.

Thank you gents!

Originally Posted by ZedO6
Yeah, not quite a bolt on...but it's not as bad as it looks initially. Hopefully the pics I took during my install will help someone else. This pic shows
what I removed from the OE ducts

I used a cutoff wheel to slot the OE ducts so they would fit inside the DRM ducting. There was no way they would have worked as is.

This pic shows them installed, I used black racers tape to tape up the seam.

This clears 285's on 18X10.5's, just be careful not to go full lock in the pits.
Old 02-03-2015, 09:25 AM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

We also removed the inner fender liner when we did mine. It's fast an easy to remove.
Old 02-03-2015, 10:15 AM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

The OE ducts WILL come out without removing the inner fender liner. Open the headlights to get clearance. With enough twisting, they come out.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:19 AM
Hat_Trick_Hokie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll definitely want to remove the fender liners off the car. I did mine without and it looks like junk. Good luck with the install.

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
If you try to cut the factory duct off with a sawzall, you will only make a mess.
Can confirm, this was a mess when I used a dremmel while installed on the car.

Originally Posted by ZedO6
The OE ducts WILL come out without removing the inner fender liner. Open the headlights to get clearance. With enough twisting, they come out.
I believe I used the bottom access panel to do the same.
Old 02-03-2015, 11:21 AM
Ludeaem
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H.
I plan to run stock 17" on the front for street use. Track will be a mix of 18" fronts and 17" depending on budget. My goal is to have 18" fronts at some point this year.

Why do you ask? Will these not work with 17" speedlines?
I was just curious because you seem to be on the same path I am with mods. I have been a lurker for about 6 months and just bought mine from a fellow forum member. Electron blue with Mod red.

I would imagine that 17's are fine but not positive. i eventually plan to go 18x10.5 speedlines with Pilot Super Sports. Maybe next year
Old 02-03-2015, 07:19 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

The ducts work fine with the stock 17" speedlines. I had to adjust my final location down a little bit to get proper clearance on one side. The tire rubbed at full lock. Ran the next size wider tire than stock without problem.
Old 02-04-2015, 10:37 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm installed mine without removing the inner fender liner. Just did the work through the access panel at the bottom. I used my band saw to cut the factory duct. I also had to notch the duct so they would mate together properly; sealed everything up with gorilla tape.

Get notified of new replies

To How did you cut your OEM brake ducts to install the DRM's

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How did you cut your OEM brake ducts to install the DRM's