Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CCW Classics and large caliper clearance

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2015, 05:20 PM
JakeL
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Default CCW Classics and large caliper clearance

Hoping folks have some empirical experience to share here.

Have any of you out there tried to fit a brake kit with large calipers (BBK) under CCW classics? I'm thinking Stoptech, AP, Wilwood, stuff like that.

I gather from talking to CCW and what I've read here that clearance on classics is not as good than it is with C10's, C14's, and similar.

To be clear, I'm referring to caliper-to-spoke clearance, not simply rotor diameter issues (which will be fine with 18" wheels)

However, I like the design and also the 3-piece construction, so I am hoping to stick with some 18" CCW's with the Stoptech kit I've snagged off of the forum here. To be specific, these are ST60's and ST40's, but I imagine the AP and Wilwood kits have similar clearance requirements as compared to the stock calipers.

Can anybody provide some ballparks as to how much spacer (if any) they required to fit over their large body calipers?

I called CCW and the fellow on the other end didn't have any info to share other than "measure and see" (which I will do). I don't mind running up to perhaps 15-20mm spacers if that's what is required for clearance...

Thanks guys.

-Jake

Last edited by JakeL; 02-04-2015 at 05:25 PM. Reason: Added Details
Old 02-04-2015, 07:22 PM
REVHARD
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

20mm is much to big of a spacer. There is a reason nobody runs st60 and st40's with Classics...they don't work.

I tried getting similair answers for the Essex Sprint kit but nobody was 100% sure. The best I could figure with the AP caliper was a 6-7mm spacer. The stoptech caliper is much bigger then the AP
Old 02-05-2015, 10:10 AM
MUKAK
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

i also wanna know what offset CCW classics would fit a C6 Z06
Old 02-05-2015, 10:39 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

We ran CCW classics for years on the front of our C5Z ST2 car with ST-60 front calipers with a 1/4" spacer. They were 18x11 with the C5 offsets, we liked using the 3 piece wheels for W2W races because if you did have contact with another car we could just replace the outer lip, however John at CCW does not recommend those wheels for cars running Hoosier A's and aero. FYI

If you want to know the offsets to run just call John at CCW he's a nice guy to talk to and you'll know your getting the right info.
Old 02-05-2015, 11:06 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

I have the CCW Classics and Wilwood Calipers

They need a 1/4 in spacer to fit and that's with a 12in wide wheel
Old 02-05-2015, 11:09 AM
JakeL
Drifting

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
We ran CCW classics for years on the front of our C5Z ST2 car with ST-60 front calipers with a 1/4" spacer. They were 18x11 with the C5 offsets, we liked using the 3 piece wheels for W2W races because if you did have contact with another car we could just replace the outer lip, however John at CCW does not recommend those wheels for cars running Hoosier A's and aero. FYI

If you want to know the offsets to run just call John at CCW he's a nice guy to talk to and you'll know your getting the right info.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I spoke with somebody at CCW yesterday and he didn't mention anything about not recommending them, perhaps I need to call back and talk to a different fellow.

Can you elaborate on what/why?

I'm all checked out on offsets and such, just trying to nail down the caliper-to-spoke clearance issues...

I'm with you on the 3-piece wheels. Have run them for years on the F1000, and it's nice not having to replace a $500 wheel to replace a $125 bent shell.

-Jake
Old 02-05-2015, 11:33 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JakeL
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I spoke with somebody at CCW yesterday and he didn't mention anything about not recommending them, perhaps I need to call back and talk to a different fellow.

Can you elaborate on what/why?

I'm all checked out on offsets and such, just trying to nail down the caliper-to-spoke clearance issues...

I'm with you on the 3-piece wheels. Have run them for years on the F1000, and it's nice not having to replace a $500 wheel to replace a $125 bent shell.

-Jake
We were running the Classics with LG drop spindles and the rear rims would deflect enough that the lower A-arms were rubbing on the inner barrel of the wheels. Static there was at least 1/2" of space between the rim barrel and the A-arm, but the marks don't lie.
I mentioned that to John when I was ordering some new front C14's and he said that we should stop using the Classics - not designed for those kinds of loads - he also recommended taking a look at the centers and the spokes for cracks.
I didn't find any cracks but we started using the C14's more after that.
Now this is with a Nationally competitive NASA ST2 car with drop spindles, stiff springs, bars, fresh A6's every weekend and a lot of aero - not your average everyday HPDE car.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:22 PM
REVHARD
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport

there you have it...I've seen classics on a red corvette on this forum with wider fenders with a 6 piston kit up front maybe that's your car. Very rare and very interesting on the wheel flex under extreme conditions
Old 02-05-2015, 11:21 PM
JakeL
Drifting

Called up CCW again today to get the, uh, skinny.

More or less confirmed what folks are saying here, that it's rare for the Classics to be able to clear large calipers, especially the Stoptechs which are among the hardest calipers to clear.

One of the variables is what he referred to as the register depth on the wheel, basically how much of the mounting face they machine off or don't. Most of the classics have a fairly small measurement, which makes clearance tough. Doing the calculations, we figured I'd need around an inch spacer, so...dang.

96CollectorSport, your CCW's must have had a register measurement on the larger side from CCW to be able to run the relatively small spacer. that's *wild* about how much flex you were experiencing!

CCW said the Classics from 8+ years ago should be inspected for cracks etc, in fact the set on my car have new centers 3-4 years old since the old ones were developing cracks.

So, I'll keep hunting for a different solution...

Thanks guys,

-Jake
Old 02-06-2015, 10:06 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

One thing to remember is that our car was running drop spindles so that basically raises the positioning of the wheel bearing 1" higher, bringing the wheel closer to the lower A-arm. So cars with factory knuckles won't be as close to the A-arm as our car was - but it was pretty telling about how much flex there was from the 3 piece Classics to the 1 piece C14's

Also our wheels definitely stuck out past the front fenders, but we were sprung stiff enough that they didn't hit.

No red car here that thing was Blue.

Get notified of new replies

To CCW Classics and large caliper clearance

Quick Reply: CCW Classics and large caliper clearance