Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outside rear view mirror needed

Old 02-08-2015, 06:43 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Outside rear view mirror needed

I searched & didn't find much, where do I buy one of these - just the glass?

They have some on Amazon that you stick on top of the damaged one for $20, but I'm not sure what the quality is.

Of course mine died at 55k so I guess oem and quality should not be words next to each other.

Old 02-08-2015, 08:39 PM
Xian
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
I searched & didn't find much, where do I buy one of these - just the glass?

They have some on Amazon that you stick on top of the damaged one for $20, but I'm not sure what the quality is.

Of course mine died at 55k so I guess oem and quality should not be words next to each other.

I'm guessing you mean the driver side, electrocromatic one? Mine's dead as well with 66k on the car. I've found the glass online but it's fairly spendy at ~$260 or so. There also appears to be a standard glass without auto-dimming that's just under $100. I'm a bit torn on whether to roll the dice with the "right" part or save a couple bucks and go without the auto-dimming...

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/Chevrolet/2001/Corvette/GLASS-InsideOutside-Rear-View-Rear-View-Mirror---Inside--Outside/2628391/12455610.html
Old 02-08-2015, 10:57 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Xian
I'm guessing you mean the driver side, electrocromatic one? Mine's dead as well with 66k on the car. I've found the glass online but it's fairly spendy at ~$260 or so. There also appears to be a standard glass without auto-dimming that's just under $100. I'm a bit torn on whether to roll the dice with the "right" part or save a couple bucks and go without the auto-dimming...

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/.../12455610.html

That's what I'm trying to avoid price wise.

Old 02-09-2015, 09:45 AM
Xian
Racer

Originally Posted by froggy47

That's what I'm trying to avoid price wise.

Agreed. I was a little shocked to see the price tag associated with the direct replacement. I found some cheaper options from car-part.com but I'm not sure that's a great option either as they're probably just closer to the (inevitable) failure point.

I suspect that the non-dimming mirror should be a direct replacement and is quite a bit cheaper:

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/.../12530715.html

I've seen the stick on solution from Amazon/eBay that you referenced. I suspect that it would work reasonably well but, between the mirror and adhesive, it seems like it wouldn't sit as flush as the stock mirror. I expect that the result would be something that would bug me every time I glance to the left.

Last edited by Xian; 02-09-2015 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:42 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Xian
Agreed. I was a little shocked to see the price tag associated with the direct replacement. I found some cheaper options from car-part.com but I'm not sure that's a great option either as they're probably just closer to the (inevitable) failure point.

I suspect that the non-dimming mirror should be a direct replacement and is quite a bit cheaper:

http://parts.nalleygmc.com/products/.../12530715.html

I've seen the stick on solution from Amazon/eBay that you referenced. I suspect that it would work reasonably well but, between the mirror and adhesive, it seems like it wouldn't sit as flush as the stock mirror. I expect that the result would be something that would bug me every time I glance to the left.
As far as the auto dimming, I was never impressed by that as I usually need to put my hand up to block the headlight glare when some suv pulls up close (say at a traffic light).

With the defrost, I'm in socal so that's not much of a problem either.

I may try the stick on for 20 bucks what's the harm. If it sucks I'll go more expensive.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:00 PM
Xian
Racer

I'd be interested in knowing how the cheapo solution works. If it's semi-acceptable then I'll pull the trigger on it also.

Get notified of new replies

To Outside rear view mirror needed

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Outside rear view mirror needed