Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension travel question. ..

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 06:19 PM
goatkeeper
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Suspension travel question. ..

Hello. Can someone tell me the actual loaded C5/C6 suspension travel? May not be describing correctly, but I need to know the actual amount of up and down movement of the suspension that occurs under driving conditions...not how much the shock allows the suspension to move, I can measure that. But what is the real travel I should see in a normal driving senereo. I am trying to be certain we have clearance on my C10 project.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Jimmy
Old 02-11-2015, 07:01 PM
flash911
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What I think you're referring to is wheel rate or motion ratio. Wheel rate is compressed travel which is a function of the shock travel and shock mounting angle (you probably already know this).

Are you using a Corvette roller to build your C10?
Old 02-12-2015, 03:11 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Track car or street car? They differ.........a lot.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:01 PM
goatkeeper
Advanced

Thanks gentlemen. I guess what I was hoping for was a simplified idea of the actual tire travel, in inches of movement, under normal operating conditions. In compression, does the tire see 1 inch or 2 inches at the the point where it contacts the road? I can move the suspension through the entire shock travel, but does the tire actually see this much "real" movement when the spring, sway bar and steering are connected and limiting actual movement? That, I can't tell at this point of the build. I was hoping someone might have an accurate measurement.
Sorry for sounding overly simplified...

flash911...it's C6 front and rear cradles adapted to the C10 frame w/extended torque tube. Basically it's a 67 C10 skin...over a C6 chassis.

Anthony...I figured there is considerable differences in street vs race, but though I might have better luck here, getting an answer. Although I plan to drive this truck daily, I hope the first real test for the truck is a Corvette weekend around VIR!
Old 02-13-2015, 04:20 PM
flash911
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Found this:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-geometry.html

Which may help. It states .745 (on a C5) motion ratio which, if I'm interpreting right, means for each .745" of shock compression your wheel will move one inch.

Now I'm still learning and could be completely wrong, so please take anything I say or post with a grain of salt. The ninja pro's on here will correct me if I've made a mistake.
Old 02-14-2015, 02:47 AM
RBbugBITme
Racer

Glad that could be of use. I'll update it with some rear info next week, the motion ratio is a little different but I can't remember exactly.

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension travel question. ..

Quick Reply: Suspension travel question. ..