Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Critique my driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 01:59 AM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Critique my driving

This was from my last race back on the 8th. I feel I did much better than my first event after the Evo School. All feedback is welcome.

Old 02-20-2015, 02:33 AM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by 808EB03Z06
This was from my last race back on the 8th. I feel I did much better than my first event after the Evo School. All feedback is welcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF7TCdk-vKY
Are you ready?

I see 4 things.

1. Set your Go Pro to a more narrow field of view and use spot metering to see outside better.

2. You have to get rid of that phone mount, it's in the middle of the windshield and makes it hard to look ahead right, because you have to look around it. Hell I tilt my rearview mirror up so I can see better.

3. Your hand position needs attention. It's tight but you move them in random ways, but worse when you unwind it's also random because you can't track where the wheel really is, and sometimes the car drives you. And you can't be aggressive because if it steps you can't correct it as quickly if you have your hands in an odd spot and don't know where the wheel is pointed exactly.

4. 2 and 3 are somewhat stemming from this and it's BIG, and I'm a stickler for it. Looking ahead is great, but it's about seeing what's up early enough to do something about it. You see your head move around, like you look at something but then you look back??? When when you look back you aren't looking ahead anymore. The car hasn't stopped and you didn't back up. Looking "back" to check is shortening the time you need to drive and decide what to do. You do a good job covering, but you can see some uncertainty. Here's the trick, you can actually look too far ahead at times, and I think you are trying so hard to look ahead it's hurting you a little. Here's the thing. If you aren't surprised by anything you look far enough ahead (and SEE what you need to). For instance I look at a corner when way back, as I come up to it I literally look INTO it, I have to see the shape and the path, and as I enter, I look THROUGH it. All this means about 2 seconds ahead of the car in slow stuff, about 3 in fast stuff. I cannot, CAN NOT look across a corner to the point where stuff between me and where I"m going drops away. You don't need to look at every cone, we see a lot around without staring, but you also can't skip the PATH. That's what you are "looking" for, nothing more.

MHO, take it for what it's worth. But I've been doing this a LONG time.

Car goes where you look. Look up and down and all around, or as I call it "eye pinball" and your inputs mimic that. I can see folks do it without even seeing their eyes because I see it in their inputs. They can cover and smooth the input but then they get really cautious because they are being careful.

Watch some video of me. You don't see my head move around like that. My eyes don't bounce. The car moves forward, so does what I'm looking for, smoothly, not in binary steps.

It works, ask Sox-Fan.
814-849-3450

More options than any other single company out there. More parts than any other single company I know: Brakes to Safety, Wheels to Exhaust. Suspension to Air Filters: Girodisc, Hawk, Raybestos, Essex Racing/AP, Ferodo, Wilwood, Penske, Koni, Borg Motorsport, Ridetech, Viking, After Dark Speed, Hotchkis, Bilstein, KW, Forgestar, BC Forged, Forgeline, MRR Wheels and on, and on, and on it goes.

Old 02-20-2015, 03:25 PM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Are you ready?

I see 4 things.

1. Set your Go Pro to a more narrow field of view and use spot metering to see outside better.

2. You have to get rid of that phone mount, it's in the middle of the windshield and makes it hard to look ahead right, because you have to look around it. Hell I tilt my rearview mirror up so I can see better.

3. Your hand position needs attention. It's tight but you move them in random ways, but worse when you unwind it's also random because you can't track where the wheel really is, and sometimes the car drives you. And you can't be aggressive because if it steps you can't correct it as quickly if you have your hands in an odd spot and don't know where the wheel is pointed exactly.

4. 2 and 3 are somewhat stemming from this and it's BIG, and I'm a stickler for it. Looking ahead is great, but it's about seeing what's up early enough to do something about it. You see your head move around, like you look at something but then you look back??? When when you look back you aren't looking ahead anymore. The car hasn't stopped and you didn't back up. Looking "back" to check is shortening the time you need to drive and decide what to do. You do a good job covering, but you can see some uncertainty. Here's the trick, you can actually look too far ahead at times, and I think you are trying so hard to look ahead it's hurting you a little. Here's the thing. If you aren't surprised by anything you look far enough ahead (and SEE what you need to). For instance I look at a corner when way back, as I come up to it I literally look INTO it, I have to see the shape and the path, and as I enter, I look THROUGH it. All this means about 2 seconds ahead of the car in slow stuff, about 3 in fast stuff. I cannot, CAN NOT look across a corner to the point where stuff between me and where I"m going drops away. You don't need to look at every cone, we see a lot around without staring, but you also can't skip the PATH. That's what you are "looking" for, nothing more.

MHO, take it for what it's worth. But I've been doing this a LONG time.

Car goes where you look. Look up and down and all around, or as I call it "eye pinball" and your inputs mimic that. I can see folks do it without even seeing their eyes because I see it in their inputs. They can cover and smooth the input but then they get really cautious because they are being careful.

Watch some video of me. You don't see my head move around like that. My eyes don't bounce. The car moves forward, so does what I'm looking for, smoothly, not in binary steps.

It works, ask Sox-Fan.
Hey I appreciate the feedback. the hand positioning and looking ahead are the points I was looking for focus on, so thank you. I realized after the fact that the camera was in a bad place, that I am going to fix this weekend.
Old 02-20-2015, 04:04 PM
Xian
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The camera angle makes it tough to see but are you close enough to the wheel to get a half-turn of input without re-positioning your hands? Just wondering if seating position is forcing you to move your hands around more and contributing to some of the bad habits.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:04 PM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Xian
The camera angle makes it tough to see but are you close enough to the wheel to get a half-turn of input without re-positioning your hands? Just wondering if seating position is forcing you to move your hands around more and contributing to some of the bad habits.
Yes I am close enough to get a half turn. It is bad habits mainly that I thought I had gotten rid of. I have a race on sunday so I will be working on it then.

Get notified of new replies

To Critique my driving

Quick Reply: Critique my driving