Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accusump install on LS3...plumbing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 11:01 AM
jlwdvm
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accusump install on LS3...plumbing?

I am trying to figure out where to plumb in my 3qt Accusump with EPC valve in my 69 Firebird track/street car. It has a Texas Speed 570hp LS3 with T56 Magnum in it. It seems like I have been searching this forum for days now and can't seem to be able to find an answer to where to plumb in the sump line. My C&R radiator has oil and power steering coolers built into the drivers side tank. I am planning on using an Improved Racing thermostat bolted to the pan, and thought I could use a spin-on oil filter adapter with a 10AN hose fitting on it to plumb in the accusump. Any thoughts on which filter adapter to use (Cantons 22mm is the wrong shape)? Accusump says to T into the cooler return line, but it seems like oil will be able to flow backwards towards the cooler, but a check valve could be plumbed in? It seems like plumbing the sump into the filter area would be more straight forward with fewer fittings. Any advice? Thanks!
Old 02-22-2015, 11:14 AM
Webz
Burning Brakes

http://s31.photobucket.com/user/lenw...ml?sort=3&o=74
Old 02-22-2015, 12:46 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I would plumb it to the front oil galley just under the #1 plug area.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:02 PM
jlwdvm
7th Gear

Are you using a check valve? What is the "best" place to plumb it in as far as oil flow and travel is concerned? There seems to be a lot of debate about that.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:11 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jlwdvm
Are you using a check valve? What is the "best" place to plumb it in as far as oil flow and travel is concerned? There seems to be a lot of debate about that.
I'm plumbed to the front galley so no check valve is necessary. Flow and travel are a function of where you locate the sump. Mine is in front of the radiator so the front galley was the closest place to go. If you're mounting behind the driver's fender it's still only a few inches farther than the filter mount area so I think it would still work well. Your sump will be holding between 60 and 80 lbs of pressure so flow is going to happen.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:34 PM
jlwdvm
7th Gear

I have my sump under the passenger side dash near the toe board. If I go to the filter area I will have about a 3' length of 10AN hose.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:52 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Originally Posted by jlwdvm
I have my sump under the passenger side dash near the toe board. If I go to the filter area I will have about a 3' length of 10AN hose.
That ought to work.
Old 02-23-2015, 08:14 AM
jlwdvm
7th Gear

...but I cant seem to find a spin-on filter adapter with a single inlet for the sump line that will fit a stock (or Holley 302 in my case) oil pan. Most of the adapters have a kick out where the inlet is machined in that won't allow it to spin on like a filter. Anybody have a part number that will work?

Get notified of new replies

To Accusump install on LS3...plumbing?

Quick Reply: Accusump install on LS3...plumbing?