Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help w/ brake controller - Tahoe

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2015, 05:33 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Help w/ brake controller - Tahoe

May be a little off topic, but this is for my tow vehicle. I recently picked up 2014 Tahoe and have not been able to find the wiring harness under the dash to connect an after market brake controller. Shouldn't there be a wiring harness dedicated for a brake controller connections? Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 02-22-2015, 07:27 PM
wstaab
Drifting

Received 214 Likes on 129 Posts

If it has the trailer tow option from the factory with the receiver and 7 pin connector under the rear bumper there is a pigtail in the console or glove box which plugs in under the dash and splices to the electronic brake controller. If not them you have to do your own wiring and connector.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:28 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Chevy/GMC pickups, Tahoe's, and Suburbans used to have a wire harness that was connected to a box under the dash (upper left corner about above the parking brake) so you could connect the controller harness to the factory harness. If you were using a Prodigy controller, they made pre-terminated harnesses for specific vehicle applications. True plug-n-play!!

Now there is just a short harness with cut wires under the dash with no connector. You have to splice the wires from the controller harness to the truck's harness. Look for a tag that will have the wire color and use.

My 08 Silverado has the integral brake controller so I didn't have to deal with splicing wires. Unfortunately, the integral controller cannot be retro-fitted to a vehicle.

Also there should be a large red wire wrapped up below the master cylinder that needs to be connected to a stud at the front of the underhood fuse box. A 40A fuse needs to be installed in order to power the 12v Aux connector in the 7-pin plug at the back.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:32 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c4cruiser

Now there is just a short harness with cut wires under the dash with no connector. You have to splice the wires from the controller harness to the truck's harness. Look for a tag that will have the wire color and use.

Also there should be a large red wire wrapped up below the master cylinder that needs to be connected to a stud at the front of the underhood fuse box. A 40A fuse needs to be installed in order to power the 12v Aux connector in the 7-pin plug at the back.
Thanks that confirms what I thought should be there. Need a bit warmer day so I can recheck for the harness with butt cut wires.

Originally Posted by wstaab
If it has the trailer tow option from the factory with the receiver and 7 pin connector under the rear bumper there is a pigtail in the console or glove box which plugs in under the dash and splices to the electronic brake controller. If not them you have to do your own wiring and connector.
I have the 7 pin for the trailer wiring, but I think GM no longer includes a connector on the brake controller harness.
Thanks for the help guys - I'll check again when the daytime temps get into the teen!
Old 02-23-2015, 08:58 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

on my 2010 Tahoe the wires were there - no connector. I dd find info on a trailer site with instructions. On the 2010 there were 2 red wires that needed to be connected for the trailer connector to work. That info was also on the trailer site.

The trailer site was eTrailer!

Last edited by jaa1992; 02-24-2015 at 10:59 AM. Reason: I remembered the trailer site
Old 02-23-2015, 09:28 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by jaa1992
on my 2010 Tahoe the wires were there - no connector. I dd find info on a trailer site with instructions. On the 2010 there were 2 red wires that needed to be connected for the trailer connector to work. That info was also on the trailer site.
My 2007 Suburban was the same way.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:40 AM
bsalie99
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a 2002 tahoe with the std style brake controller. I traded it for a Jeep SRT and needed a controller that was not perm mounted to the dash. I found this
http://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Contro...sha/90250.html
this thing works great and there is NO install in the car. It manages the brakes on my Quikload trailer way better than my old one and is transportable to any vehicle
Old 03-29-2015, 07:30 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Finally got some decent weather (relatively speaking) and got the brake controller wired in the Tahoe. There was a wiring bundle, but no connector - just 4 butt cut wires that got spliced into the controller wiring. I also had to connect the power leads for the controller and the brake away battery charger in the fuse center (under hood).

Almost ready for track season now!! Thanks for the help!

Get notified of new replies

To Help w/ brake controller - Tahoe

Quick Reply: Help w/ brake controller - Tahoe