Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel spacers for c5 race car

Old 02-23-2015, 07:52 PM
Sebring27
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel spacers for c5 race car

Can anyone advise where to purchase 1/4" hub centric wheel spacers?
Many thanks in advance !
Old 02-23-2015, 08:48 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Sebring27
Can anyone advise where to purchase 1/4" hub centric wheel spacers?
Many thanks in advance !
Got mine from baer.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:09 AM
Fulton 1
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

I'd contact Anthony at LG Motorsports. Pretty sure they will custom build you spacers to your spec. You can also try Motorsport Tech. I haven't used them myself, but have heard good feedback over the years about their adapters and spacers. I think H&R still makes wheel spacers as well, but haven't checked recently. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2015, 08:32 PM
Sebring27
Instructor

Originally Posted by crimlwC6
Got mine from baer.
Thanks appreciated
Old 02-24-2015, 08:34 PM
Sebring27
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
I'd contact Anthony at LG Motorsports. Pretty sure they will custom build you spacers to your spec. You can also try Motorsport Tech. I haven't used them myself, but have heard good feedback over the years about their adapters and spacers. I think H&R still makes wheel spacers as well, but haven't checked recently. Good luck.
Many thanks for the advice
Old 02-28-2015, 10:52 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

1/4 spacer does not have to be hub centric as it will not extend past the wheel bearing. Not until you get to 1/2 do you need to worry about that.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:04 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Univer...Inch,3442.html

Make sure you have enough thread engagement.

I've used Southwest alum spacers for years.

Old 02-28-2015, 02:20 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I found a 1/4" set on ebay that was cheaper than any of the usual vendors.
Old 02-28-2015, 02:58 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by froggy47
Make sure you have enough thread engagement.

Personally I would do a better stud on a track car no matter, but anything in there they need to have a longer stud.

ARP makes a nice one that is fully threaded but not much longer than stock and gives you much more thread engagement even with 1/2" spacers in there.
Old 02-28-2015, 03:02 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Personally I would do a better stud on a track car no matter, but anything in there they need to have a longer stud.

ARP makes a nice one that is fully threaded but not much longer than stock and gives you much more thread engagement even with 1/2" spacers in there.
ARP

Old 02-28-2015, 09:02 PM
Xian
Racer

I haven't gone through the effort of measuring engagement (yet) but how much spacer can the stock studs take before I need to swap for ARP extended hardware? I've got some AS legal 18x9.5's on the way and will need at least 5mm of spacer to be legal but would prefer 1/4"...

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2015, 10:32 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Xian
I haven't gone through the effort of measuring engagement (yet) but how much spacer can the stock studs take before I need to swap for ARP extended hardware? I've got some AS legal 18x9.5's on the way and will need at least 5mm of spacer to be legal but would prefer 1/4"...

Thanks!
I "think" 1/4 is it, but I would throw out the stock lug nuts and replace with fully threaded OPEN ones.

You need to count the turns once you put the spacer on.

Don't ask me the min. # as that will also be debated. But it's different depending on the stud size.

Somebody will chime in.

For the life of me, I don't get why the stock ones are not fully threaded & also the studs?

So fumble fingers can get them started easier?

Old 03-01-2015, 02:08 AM
dhowdy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I was asking similar, so here's a post from my regional autocross forum regarding how many threads of engagement:

Rule of thumb from a mechanical engineer if you don't want to do the calculation:
The rules as i was taught.
In steel you want minimum 1x the bolt OD in depth.
In all soft materials you want a minimum 1.5x(id use 2x) bolt od in depth. (Soft = aluminium, cast iron, brass, etc.)
Fine thread is best in steel.
Coarse thread is best in everything else.
YMMV
Of course that doesn't take into account thread pitch, which I would assume has some effect, but he had also mentioned 5 full turns at the event as each one after that only bears like <1% of the load... seems reasonable enough.

Here's what mine looked like with ARP studs and an 18mm spacer
Name:  UaZ0TPFh.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  89.0 KB

I didn't run it like this. Need to go back and see how many threads of engagement I actually had there, it's more than it looks in the picture, but I'm still not sure it's adequate.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:00 AM
Xian
Racer

Thanks guys! Yeah, I fat fingered my prior post; it should have been 5mm min but would prefer ~1/2". Doesn't sound like there's any way that 1/2" will work with the factory studs. I'm not surprised 5-6mm would be ok since that is pretty mild... guess extended studs will be on the list for later this year. Thankfully it sounds/looks like they're a pretty easy install that can be done with the front hub on the car.
Old 03-01-2015, 06:20 PM
dhowdy
Racer

Originally Posted by Xian
Thanks guys! Yeah, I fat fingered my prior post; it should have been 5mm min but would prefer ~1/2". Doesn't sound like there's any way that 1/2" will work with the factory studs. I'm not surprised 5-6mm would be ok since that is pretty mild... guess extended studs will be on the list for later this year. Thankfully it sounds/looks like they're a pretty easy install that can be done with the front hub on the car.
One side that worked for me... the other it didn't... not sure why, froggy's best guess was that one of my hubs was aftermarket which seems pretty probable to me... so just hope that's not the case on yours and it's a pretty easy job
Old 03-02-2015, 10:06 AM
Xian
Racer

Originally Posted by dhowdy
One side that worked for me... the other it didn't... not sure why, froggy's best guess was that one of my hubs was aftermarket which seems pretty probable to me... so just hope that's not the case on yours and it's a pretty easy job
Good to know! I'll take a look and see. The prior owner put new hubs (LKQ, IIRC) all the way around. Hopefully I'll be able to do the job without having to pull them off the car.
Old 03-03-2015, 04:31 PM
dhowdy
Racer

Is there any issue running a 1/2" spacer that is not hub-centric and doesn't have the centering lip for the wheel? So the wheels are fully supported by the studs and not the hub... problem?

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel spacers for c5 race car

Old 03-03-2015, 05:05 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by dhowdy
Is there any issue running a 1/2" spacer that is not hub-centric and doesn't have the centering lip for the wheel? So the wheels are fully supported by the studs and not the hub... problem?
I have run that and more. Several years autox & no failure of wheel, hub, stud, nuts or anything else. I have tried to explain to others on the forum that the wheel & hub are STUD CENTRIC Not hub centric, but there is always someone who sees that lip & gets it into his head that that is what is centering the wheel, it's not.

In fact if you put the wheel up and are strong enough to jiggle it around a bit you can tell the hole is bigger than the lip by a little bit, but hey, I gave up on those long argument threads a few years ago.

Like putting a little lube on the threads & contact surface of the nut to wheel to prevent galling. And reduce the torque spec about 10%. People who swap wheels a couple of times a month get it.

If your tire shop does it every 3 - 5 years you are probably one of those guys who reads it somewhere "clean & dry" then goes on the forum to argue.

In a word, yep it'll be fine.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:11 PM
dhowdy
Racer

Thanks.

So these are right?
https://www.southwestspeed.com/?sec=view_part&id=2572

Or ebay specials which are even cheaper...

Originally Posted by froggy47
Like putting a little lube on the threads & contact surface of the nut to wheel to prevent galling. And reduce the torque spec about 10%. People who swap wheels a couple of times a month get it.
What is this? I change my wheels almost weekly and have never done this.
Old 03-03-2015, 05:25 PM
Xian
Racer

The only studs I've ever had issues with are the ones without anti-seize.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Wheel spacers for c5 race car