Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C5 Z06 on the Scales. Why you shouldn't adjust ride heights without scales.... PICS

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 10:13 PM
Phoenix64
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Default C5 Z06 on the Scales. Why you shouldn't adjust ride heights without scales.... PICS

When I got the car, the left front bolt was almost full down, right front 4 turns up. Rears were opposite, but the ride height measure from the the jacking pucks was within 1mm front and 2mm rear. With about a half inch of rake. Fender gaps were all about the same too.......BUT

Found a shop that would loan me scales for 40$.

Full of fuel, only mods a Momo steering wheel, and borla exhaust.

Zeroing all the bolts got it pretty close, 2-3 adjustments later.....

Seriously do you guys think this is close enough? I also got the car aligned, camber and toe were way off side to side.

After all this the car changes direction like a cracked out spider monkey. Its almost too responsive, and a little nervous feeling. Could be the 0 toe.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:44 PM
bdanyluk
Drifting

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Gained 200 lbs from 1st shot to second shot.

So you sat in the car then?

So then it's not an apples to apples comparison.

If you had the same Weight in both shots, i.e., you sat in the car in the drivers seat both times, then it would be a better comparison.

Sitting in the car dramatically affects the loading on the tires.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:04 PM
Phoenix64
Instructor

Here is your apple. Same number of threads on each bolt, me not in the car.
Old 02-25-2015, 11:35 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

IIWM I would not corner weight with a full tank, but that's just me.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:55 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

I'd corner with a full tank... because that's how I run my car.

Looks good "after". How different are the bolts now, just curious. My car is going back on scales next week (it's too cold to work in my shop right now). I'll be curious how yours compare.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:26 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

FYI:
Corner weight with 1/2 of predicted fuel load and driver weight properly distributed in car wearing all gear. Fill any cool suit tank too as raced. Tires with hot air pressures as raced.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:28 AM
Phoenix64
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sam Strano

Looks good "after". How different are the bolts now, just curious. My car is going back on scales next week (it's too cold to work in my shop right now). I'll be curious how yours compare.
They were within 1/2 - 1 turn in the front, and 2-3 turns different rear.
How close do you shoot for Sam? I figured less than 1% cross weight was good enough for a daily driven car that see's 2-3 track days a year.

While I was at it, I weighed my Formula with your Springs, Bars, and koni shocks. Needless to say I was pleasantly shocked with how close the corner weights were. Car is full of fuel, no driver, and about 50lbs of sound deadener in the back.
Thanks for making a great product.

Old 02-26-2015, 09:14 AM
Xian
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For a street/DE/autox car, I like to get within a tenth or 2 on cross with 1% variance being more like the initial starting point.

BTW, are you using slip plates or ramps when you get the car onto the scales?

Sidebar: curious about this ^^^. Mind sharing the reasoning? Is it a matter of reducing slosh/weight migration, front to rear weight split, or does the extra weight in the rear aid with rotation or putting down power? Thanks!
Old 02-26-2015, 12:06 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I tried that once, but the flaggers got mad at me stopping every lap to top the tank off.

Old 02-26-2015, 01:04 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Corner weight is very important! Ride height, not so much!

Jim
Old 02-26-2015, 03:49 PM
Xian
Racer

Originally Posted by Painrace
Corner weight is very important! Ride height, not so much!

Jim
Why is ride height not important? Too low and you're into the bumpstops, too high and you've raised the CG as well as missing out on some of the camber curve. That's without even look at the impact of rake on handling.

Or do you mean that ride height "for looks" isn't important?
Old 02-26-2015, 03:58 PM
dhowdy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Xian
That's without even look at the impact of rake on handling.
Which is? My front seems to sit right, but for some reason the back seems high despite lowering as much as I could... wondering if raising the front for less rake may help.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:22 PM
Xian
Racer

Originally Posted by dhowdy
Which is? My front seems to sit right, but for some reason the back seems high despite lowering as much as I could... wondering if raising the front for less rake may help.
May help "what"? Are you trying to get a certain "look" from the ride height or tune the car? I'm not trying to belabor the point or anything, just not sure I understand what you're trying to do.

The less front to rear rake you have, the tighter the car should drive (based on feedback from folks with way more seat time in these cars than me). My personal experience in other platforms has mirrored this though the Corvette may be more sensitive to rake than other cars that I've had.

IMO, all Corvette's look kinda like they've got a 4x4 ride height with the notable exception of some dedicated track cars and others that are at an impossibly low ride height. You can't get away with that sort of setup on a street car without being all over the bumpstops and scraping on everything (assuming stock spring rates & stock length dampers).
Old 02-26-2015, 04:36 PM
dhowdy
Racer

May help "what"? Are you trying to get a certain "look" from the ride height or tune the car? I'm not trying to belabor the point or anything, just not sure I understand what you're trying to do.
I don't know... I just like fiddling... I also have very little total seat time and this is only car I have competitive driving experience in, so mostly I just drive it for a while until someone else drives it and says something is wrong. It does look a bit silly though, haven't taken real measurements. I'll just leave it alone for now...
Old 02-26-2015, 04:43 PM
Xian
Racer

Originally Posted by dhowdy
I don't know... I just like fiddling... I also have very little total seat time and this is only car I have competitive driving experience in, so mostly I just drive it for a while until someone else drives it and says something is wrong. It does look a bit silly though, haven't taken real measurements. I'll just leave it alone for now...
No worries. If you need ride height measurements, I can take them and post them up.

FWIW, I think the ride height on mine "looks" higher than most cars that I've owned but it's (apparently) in the right place. I've got relatively little seat time in mine thus far but prior experience in club racing/autox.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:23 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Why is ride height not important? Too low and you're into the bumpstops, too high and you've raised the CG as well as missing out on some of the camber curve. That's without even look at the impact of rake on handling.

Or do you mean that ride height "for looks" isn't important?
You get the lowest CG you can with the proper corner weight and alignment and let the ride height be what it is, If you want to be fast!

Jim
Old 02-26-2015, 05:41 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Sidebar: curious about this ^^^. Mind sharing the reasoning? Is it a matter of reducing slosh/weight migration, front to rear weight split, or does the extra weight in the rear aid with rotation or putting down power? Thanks!
Because they car is faster and IMHO easier to drive with a full tank of fuel. And yes power down is no small part of that.

However, I know the 'internet' says I'm nuts for it. So, well I'm nuts.

I've full, dead empty, in the middle, etc. I tend to.... oh, do "ok" speed wise and I'm already the biggest heaviest guy in the class. Add fuel and the car is that much heavier, doesn't seem to hurt me much. If was faster with less fuel I'd do it. I'm not.

Cornering with 1/2 the predicted fuel load, why? With driver makes sense, you don't corner with 1/2 the driver's weight in the car do you?
814-849-3450

More options than any other single company out there. More parts than any other single company I know: Brakes to Safety, Wheels to Exhaust. Suspension to Air Filters: Girodisc, Hawk, Raybestos, Essex Racing/AP, Ferodo, Wilwood, Penske, Koni, Borg Motorsport, Ridetech, Viking, After Dark Speed, Hotchkis, Bilstein, KW, Forgestar, BC Forged, Forgeline, MRR Wheels and on, and on, and on it goes.

Get notified of new replies

To C5 Z06 on the Scales. Why you shouldn't adjust ride heights without scales.... PICS

Old 02-26-2015, 06:04 PM
Xian
Racer

Originally Posted by Painrace
You get the lowest CG you can with the proper corner weight and alignment and let the ride height be what it is, If you want to be fast!

Jim
If you mean visually how the car looks from corner to corner, yeah... that's not important. That doesn't mean that you can ignore ride height completely as you've got to make sure you're as low as you can without running out of travel.

Because they car is faster and IMHO easier to drive with a full tank of fuel. And yes power down is no small part of that.

I've full, dead empty, in the middle, etc. I tend to.... oh, do "ok" speed wise and I'm already the biggest heaviest guy in the class. Add fuel and the car is that much heavier, doesn't seem to hurt me much. If was faster with less fuel I'd do it. I'm not.

Cornering with 1/2 the predicted fuel load, why? With driver makes sense, you don't corner with 1/2 the driver's weight in the car do you?
Cool deal. I'd had someone at Dixie a couple weeks ago ask me if I was "running a full take like Sam"... and I obviously wasn't. I figured that you weren't the type to run the fuel if there wasn't an advantage but wondered what the advantage was.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:15 PM
dhowdy
Racer

Some of my fastest laps are with passengers. I'm willing to believe a full tank could lead to faster laps.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:58 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I think it depends on what you are using the car for, in your case - autocross you're done in less than 90 seconds.
When I set a car up for NASA races I like to set it up with around 1/2 tank so that the balance doesn't change too much through out the race. From dead empty to full I see around 1/4" difference in ride height, if I set up with 1/2 tank I'm only changing 1/8" lower at the start of the race to 1/8" higher by the end.
The way I see it the cars only going to full for the first 1/4 of the race - and you aren't going to be empty for very long. If I set it up with 1/2 tank I should be in the sweet spot longer.

If I were setting the car up just for TT it would be a different story, plus we always have to worry about those pesky scales after races and TT sessions.

Quick Reply: C5 Z06 on the Scales. Why you shouldn't adjust ride heights without scales.... PICS