Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailering a C7

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 02:30 PM
TBRDS
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Trailering a C7

I am interested in getting a trailer for my C7, but an enclosed trailer is probably too much for my van tow vehicle. To stay within recommended 80% of max recommended weight of trailer and car, I need the trailer to not be much over 1500 lbs. That limits me to an open trailer I think. I've looked on the web at Trailex, Featherlite and Aluma. Does anyone have real-life experiences to share with a C7 on one of these? I'd like to get the shortest trailer that works. There are some 16' bed tilt trailers, but shorter means a greater angle when loading, so I'm hoping to hear from people who have tried this. Also, I'd love to know experience with stone guards in the front. Do they do the job, or are open sides still a road damage issue. Finally, I know you generally can't cover a car on an open trailer (paint damage) but there are a few people and companies that have done soft rubber/canvas covers over a frame. Any experience there? Thanks, so much!!!
Old 03-01-2015, 04:09 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

It sounds like an open aluminum trailer would work the best given the towing limitations.

Even trailers without a tilt bed can be use with longer loading ramps. Race Ramps has some that are 7 feet; they are made of a high density foam and will work well with the ramps that come with a trailer.

One thing you need to make sure of is being able to open the driver's door once the car is up on the trailer. Most all open trailers will have removeable fenders. Open the car door so that the rear edge of the door is about 16 away from the body. Then measure the distance between the bottom of the door and the ground. That clearance dimension will determine if the door will open far enough for you to easily get out.

You may have to add a riser under the left side wheels to increase that distance. A 2x12 works great for that.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:13 PM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

First, a 16 ft is really too short. Not enough length to move the car around to get the proper tongue weight. 18' is better.

I have an RnR trailer and haul both a C5 and a C6GS on it and the spoiler just touches on the GS. The ramps mount up front and serve as a rock guard, though not as high as the guard on a Featherlite. Both my c5 and c6 scrape on my driveway, but a base and a Z51 will not, if that is a measure of scrape sensitivity.

What I like about it is you don't have to haul extra race ramps, the trailer-provided ramps are good for a Corvette.

I have pulled the trailer on several long trips, and have had no problem. The 18 ft model I have weighs 1240# according to the titled weight and has Dexter torsion axles. i paid $4400 for it 3 years ago. I did have to pick it up at the factory. Even though a long drive, worth it to me. I have posted photos in times past here, so you can do a little research and see my setup. The RnR site shows a C6Z on it and the door clears the fender without removing the fender.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:37 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

that a 16' trailer will be too short. An 18' will provide enough space on the deck to set the car for the proper tongue weight. And that extra 2' will help on a tilt-bed. Even trailers with a fixed deck will have a 2' dovetail that will lower the rear of the traielr. The longer trailers also provides extra room for a rack for tires and a tool box.

There are fiberglass "nose cones" that can be installed at the front of the trailer and that will help protect the nose of the car. Most flatbed trailers have enough space at the sides of the deck to keep a lot of road debris from hurting the car. Trailer fenders do a pretty good job of protecting the car.

After awhile, the paint at the lower part of the wheelwells will take enough of a beating that you may not worry too much about towing damage.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:48 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
that a 16' trailer will be too short.
X3. 16' is a little silly.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:22 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

$4400 for a new full bed aluminum trailer is a great deal! I'd drive to Michigan for that
Old 03-01-2015, 07:40 PM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

I bought a 18' open aluminum last summer with 7 foot ramps - I'm very happy w/it. It's a huge improvement on my previous 16' steel. Much easier to load and tie down

I was also considering a stone guard and the sales folks at another dealership talked me out of it - said not many stones would came up from pick up truck. My first trip was to NCM for their inaugural HPDE and on way home my wife (yes, she drives too for long trips) drove through wet line paint!!! Not a lot got the Z, but some did - what a mess on the trailer tongue, deck, and fenders
Old 03-01-2015, 08:04 PM
SharkBit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a kwik-load trailer. They are built in Texas. It's similar to a rollback wrecker but low to the ground. No ramps to deal with either. I can load a c5 with no rub and a c6z with minimal rub of the plastic air dam. I load by myself so not having to line up ramps is great. It's 18' with some small storage compartments in the front.

Sloan Car Trailer - Loading a Vette:

There is a good link to see how it works.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:13 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Nice setup. I guess you could replace the rock guard with a tire rack. If you did that would the weight on the front still allow it to tip?
Old 03-02-2015, 12:43 PM
SharkBit
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by k24556
Nice setup. I guess you could replace the rock guard with a tire rack. If you did that would the weight on the front still allow it to tip?
Yes it will. The way the 'rollback' portion of the trailer is made it will tilt with weight on the front. Its not really a 'tilt' trailer. The wheels are on a carriage and the deck rolls on it when the pins are removed. Works great!
Old 03-02-2015, 04:29 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

Im on my second Kwikload and love them... I use a pair of 18" boards for loading my lowered zr1 and have no issues with scraping. I also have the rock guard up front and have not had any issues, unless caught in a monsoon, then the car got dirty....
Old 03-03-2015, 03:02 PM
TBRDS
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks guys, for the good info. I didn't know about Kwik-load which looks interesting. I need to find out the weight with aluminum deck and fender options.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:17 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

I've had a Featherlite 3110, and (currently) have an Aluma 8218Tilt. BTW, I also am a Race Ramps dealer.... just sayin'.

I have a C6Z, either way with either trailer you need supplemental ramps. I prefer the Aluma a it's easier to tie the car down to without the little side rails getting in your way when putting the t-hooks in (I use those not wheel bonnets). Also the length of a 17'6" featherlite is much shorter than the 18' Aluma. The Aluma's deck that tilts (if you get a tilt) is 18' on it's own an there is just under 2' in front of that that doesn't tilt.

Anything you need I can help with. I carry really nice Mac's tie downs. I have a set of 8" straps in stock with t-hooks built on. Again I have race ramps too. The trick is the angle. When I changed trailers I needed to get taller and longer RaceRamps for the Aluma vs. the Featherlite.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:45 PM
c7jim
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by tbrds
i am interested in getting a trailer for my c7, but an enclosed trailer is probably too much for my van tow vehicle. To stay within recommended 80% of max recommended weight of trailer and car, i need the trailer to not be much over 1500 lbs. That limits me to an open trailer i think. I've looked on the web at trailex, featherlite and aluma. Does anyone have real-life experiences to share with a c7 on one of these? I'd like to get the shortest trailer that works. There are some 16' bed tilt trailers, but shorter means a greater angle when loading, so i'm hoping to hear from people who have tried this. Also, i'd love to know experience with stone guards in the front. Do they do the job, or are open sides still a road damage issue. Finally, i know you generally can't cover a car on an open trailer (paint damage) but there are a few people and companies that have done soft rubber/canvas covers over a frame. Any experience there? Thanks, so much!!!
atc 18 or 20 ft.
82 inches wide
Old 12-08-2015, 11:23 AM
Z06Tracker
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do a search. There is a Trailex for sale someone on this site that looks like a good deal to me. At least, it was still for sale a couple days ago.

Get notified of new replies

To Trailering a C7

Quick Reply: Trailering a C7