Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you add color dye to brake fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 11:49 PM
rodhotter
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default me too

i am interested as well, 3 bikes fluids every 2 years + a car + truck. the varying color made it easy + sure. what a stupid law!! who got paid off!!!
The following users liked this post:
badhabit_wb (02-14-2020)
Old 06-19-2017, 01:40 PM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

Lately, I have been just bleeding a couple of pumps out of each caliper when I change pads before each track day. I am not sure the brake fluid recirculates as you use it, so why dump good fluid from mc to caliper out. As I am not one who is really hard on brakes, I can't say this is helping or hurting, but I have noticed no increased fade or wearing.

Thoughts or should this be another thread?
Old 06-19-2017, 01:57 PM
rodhotter
Intermediate

we all know brake fluids deteriorate + absorb moisture easily so i would think replacing the small amount of fluid with fresh would be best especially when tracking your car. if memory serves me right fluids that withstand higher temps deteriorate quicker
Old 06-19-2017, 01:59 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

IIWM I'd pump until I liked to color coming out. 2 pumps (a couple) might not be enough, maybe 4-5?

The fluid that has got really hot tends, I think, to stay near the caliper, not work it's way back to the MC.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:02 PM
spdislife
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
IIWM I'd pump until I liked to color coming out. 2 pumps (a couple) might not be enough, maybe 4-5?

The fluid that has got really hot tends, I think, to stay near the caliper, not work it's way back to the MC.
Between events I usually do 5 to 6 pumps per wheel, then after the winter I'll run a liter through the system before the season's first event. I'm sold on Castrol SRF after experimenting with other brands. Pricey but holds up real well.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:22 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by spdislife
Between events I usually do 5 to 6 pumps per wheel, then after the winter I'll run a liter through the system before the season's first event. I'm sold on Castrol SRF after experimenting with other brands. Pricey but holds up real well.
Sounds good.

Old 08-03-2019, 04:28 PM
Pat Harrington
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can use this stuff. It's specifically for oil, gas, hydraulic fluids, grease and lubricants. It's SUPER concentrated so use sparingly. Available in several colors. I use blue for brake fluid and red for clutch fluid.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rekhaoil-Bl...72.m2749.l2649
The following users liked this post:
Hardrvin (08-03-2019)
Old 08-04-2019, 11:01 AM
rodhotter
Intermediate

thanks! i used the different colored ATE fluids in the past with my motive power bleeder, easy + efficient. i know few non performance orientated drivers EVER change brake fluids or other drivetrain lubes, but i surely do believe in pay some now or more later. i have a sporty older audi TT roadster + would love an nice "regular" C2 roadster, having had a 64 coupe but $$$. that said changing fluids on older vehicles is important IMO, + changing -upgrading all fluids in a recently purchased 2011 28 thou mile nissan frontier SV to Redline netted me 3 mpg's + peace of mind. i will be giving that dye a go!!
Old 08-04-2019, 11:32 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Honestly, I don’t see any reason to fixate on getting out every last drop if you are using SRF. Old SRF is still better anything else out there so a little but left over isn’t really a big deal.
Old 08-04-2019, 03:42 PM
Pat Harrington
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah man give that stuff a try. But like I said, use a VERY small amount of that dye. I mean like a tiny fraction of a drop to make the fluid colored. Just a few PPM could probably turn a swimming pool full of brake fluid blue! Sounds like some nice vehicles you've got there. I don't own a Vette, but the Mrs drives a Trailblazer SS that we bought new. I recently rebuilt all the hydraulics in my '64 Jaguar which has three separate systems; 1 for the clutch and 2 for the braking system which has twin masters. While the dye does help with bleeding, I use it more for leak detection as vintage British cars are notorious leakers. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Can you add color dye to brake fluid?