Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake Temp Paint - now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 05:33 PM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Brake Temp Paint - now what?

I put some Genesis Brake temp paint on the rotors prior to the track event at Road Atlanta last weekend. According to the paint chart, the outer edge of the rotor got to the 1075 - 1326F range ( the color is very yellow and not green or brown which are the colors bordering yellow. Maybe that's middle of the temp range?).

What do I do with this data? Is this good? Just carry on and keep driving faster?

Backgound:
I'm on a C5Z, stock motor. Slotted DBA rotors front, blank on the rear. DRM brake ducts to the front spindle. I tried the Raybestos ST43 pads (very pleased their performance) this time. Have used Hawk DTC60 all around before. Toyo R888 295/18 all around.

Dropped 1.5 seconds off my best time to 1:40.38. The biggest brake zone is 155 to 55mph.

Thanks for any advice/knowledge!

Tim
Old 05-04-2015, 06:35 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Typically you use the paint to keep track of the car under different conditions or if you have experienced an issue. Poor braking, bad pad wear, poor rotor life...

Then you can see if you are running either not enough temp or to much temp into that area of the brakes.

Caliper temps are going to be different so if it is a pedal issue, or caliper problem then you need to check caliper temps.

From the temps you are seeing....your fine.

http://www.raceshopper.com/temperature_paint.shtml
Old 05-04-2015, 09:22 PM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Many thanks!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Brake Temp Paint - now what?

Quick Reply: Brake Temp Paint - now what?