Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suspension dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 03:25 PM
808EB03Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Suspension dilemma

Later this summer or early fall I will be getting new shocks, but I cannot decide if I want to go to coil overs or just go with a set of the Koni yellows. I know the Konis are far and away cheaper, but at the same time I would like the adjustability of the coil overs. What are the benefits of a coil over setup vice just doing the shocks, and what are some of the other things I would need to do if I went to a coil over setup?

Kerry
Old 05-10-2021, 09:52 PM
TexasDanny
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 808EB03Z06
Later this summer or early fall I will be getting new shocks, but I cannot decide if I want to go to coil overs or just go with a set of the Koni yellows. I know the Konis are far and away cheaper, but at the same time I would like the adjustability of the coil overs. What are the benefits of a coil over setup vice just doing the shocks, and what are some of the other things I would need to do if I went to a coil over setup?

Kerry
the coil overs give you more adjustability than a standard shock. It eliminates the leaf spring all together. The only issue is that coil overs on C3’s requires either getting TA’s that are setup for coil overs or building brackets and welding them to ur current TA’s. This is the route I’m going since I’m an engineer, welder etc...

im just trying to determine what length shock to get. I have found some QA1 coil overs with 400 lb spring for $450 free shipping.
Old 05-10-2021, 11:14 PM
theamxguy
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Coilovers allow easy height adjustability plus reasonably easy spring rate swaps. If you add aero later you can order new springs and step up the rates to match your new downforce. The car will not have the cross-talk that the transverse leaf springs cause. The car will feel more settled over curbing and rumble strips. All of this assumes you have correct spring rates for the shock valving and you have them adjusted correctly.
Old 05-12-2021, 07:35 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 710 Likes on 491 Posts

I've had great performing cars on both leafs and coil-overs. However, I personally prefer coilovers.
Old 05-16-2021, 11:15 AM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,028 Likes on 1,197 Posts

Coilovers to fine tune spring rates/ride heights.

Kepp in mind adjustment method on shocks. Koni yellow with the 1/4 window sweep gets annoying and not user friendly.

I suggest looking at Viking coilovers for cost effective option. Triple adjustable and very easy to adjust via external *****.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:43 PM
CraigStu
Drifting

Received 409 Likes on 297 Posts

I can't help you w/ specifics but will make a recommendation based on my previous car. Go to double adjustable if you can any way swing the $. In addition to tuning handling it is really nice to have a setting for street and another for race/AX. I'd much rather have DA shocks only than SA coil overs.
Smitty I see a huge empty place in the Viking application chart for 2014-2019 Corvette.
Old 05-22-2021, 06:15 PM
smitty2919
Safety Car

Received 2,028 Likes on 1,197 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigStu
I can't help you w/ specifics but will make a recommendation based on my previous car. Go to double adjustable if you can any way swing the $. In addition to tuning handling it is really nice to have a setting for street and another for race/AX. I'd much rather have DA shocks only than SA coil overs.
Smitty I see a huge empty place in the Viking application chart for 2014-2019 Corvette.
They either don't make them, or haven't updated the website. I'll admit the online website is not the best for "window shopping". Best bet it to call and speak to Mike Prolux in terms of applications and specific uses. GREAT guy to talk to.
The following users liked this post:
TexasDanny (05-22-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Suspension dilemma

Quick Reply: Suspension dilemma