Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Noob ran AutoX this past weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 09:27 AM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Default Noob ran AutoX this past weekend

I ran what is technically my 3rd AutoX ever this past weekend and forgot how much fun they can be. I had a buddy who runs very competitve times in his STR Miata ride with me the first run. I took the first run mostly in 2nd gear but he had suggested if I wasn't hitting the limiter in 1st to try and use that, not thinking the power difference between the 2 cars I took his advice and ended up wrestling 1st around the course most of the day. Not the best thing for trying to be smooth/quick but still had a blast. My first run was a 39.140 and my best ended up being a 36.810. Fastest of the day was a 29.729. Watching the video after the fact I see a lot of room for improvement and I know using second gear would have given me more chances to be on the throttle earlier. Already looking forward to the next event!

Car is a 2008 A6 non Z51 with the Z51 2.73 rear gear option. I have added Z51 brakes, Z51 Sway bars, Z06 shocks, Stainless works 1 7/8" Longtubes, 3" X pipe, C6Z mufflers, Halltech MF103 intake & Dyno tune, put down 405rwhp/412rwtq on a DynoJet. Tires are Mickey Thompson Street Comp in factory sizes (Basically same tire as the Cooper RS3-S). Roof was off for every run.

This was a 36.8

Last edited by SK360; 05-06-2015 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:48 AM
JLZ06TR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im running the cooper rs3-s. they are ok, how do you feel about the mickeys.

also what are you using to track the lap and data? Is that an app? Ive been looking into harry's lap timer for iphone.

did you try 2nd gear at all? 1st seems a bit unruly for such a tight track. 2nd may be more manageable.
Old 05-06-2015, 01:04 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JLZ06TR
Im running the cooper rs3-s. they are ok, how do you feel about the mickeys.

also what are you using to track the lap and data? Is that an app? Ive been looking into harry's lap timer for iphone.

did you try 2nd gear at all? 1st seems a bit unruly for such a tight track. 2nd may be more manageable.
I love the mickeys for a daily summer tire, this is my second set of rears (got 2 seasons out of the first set) will probably have to replace the fronts next spring with 3 seasons on them. Mind you none of that really was AutoX/Track duty, just street hooning.

Front video, Track map and GForce are from TrackAddict on the iPhone. Rear video and audio is from my GoPro Hero 4 silver with ATR3350 external mic taped to rear bumper. RPM/speed/throttle overlays come from HPTuners datalogs. Everything was pulled together using RaceRender on the PC.

My first run was with second but I was still uneasy and making sure I didn't get lost on course and my buddy that rode with me suggested trying first if I wasn't maxing out the gear so that's what I went with pretty much every run after but watching the video now I see many opportunities where I was late on the gas because I knew it would only cause spin where I could have been heavy on the throttle in second. Oh well it was a learning experience and I will improve next time based on what I learned, wish I could get one more crack at that course!
Old 05-06-2015, 01:13 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

are you saying you had your laptop and hpt hooked up during?

Originally Posted by SK360
I love the mickeys for a daily summer tire, this is my second set of rears (got 2 seasons out of the first set) will probably have to replace the fronts next spring with 3 seasons on them. Mind you none of that really was AutoX/Track duty, just street hooning.

Front video, Track map and GForce are from TrackAddict on the iPhone. Rear video and audio is from my GoPro Hero 4 silver with ATR3350 external mic taped to rear bumper. RPM/speed/throttle overlays come from HPTuners datalogs. Everything was pulled together using RaceRender on the PC.

My first run was with second but I was still uneasy and making sure I didn't get lost on course and my buddy that rode with me suggested trying first if I wasn't maxing out the gear so that's what I went with pretty much every run after but watching the video now I see many opportunities where I was late on the gas because I knew it would only cause spin where I could have been heavy on the throttle in second. Oh well it was a learning experience and I will improve next time based on what I learned, wish I could get one more crack at that course!
Old 05-06-2015, 01:40 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by edge04
are you saying you had your laptop and hpt hooked up during?
Yep, HPTuners cable was run around the steering column with the box tucked between the seat and the center console and my laptop was in a bookbag in the pass seat which I had the seatbelt run through and pulled tight, worked very well.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:01 PM
klodkrawler05
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Doesn't look bad at all for only being your 3rd time out!
As you already mentioned there were several spots to get on the gas a bit earlier, being in 2nd might have helped that (I find it usually does!) If you were looking for spots to gain time :35-40 on your video there seems to be a whole lot of coasting, generally speaking where at all possible you want to be on the gas or on the brakes at all times. The video doesn't show braking so I'm speculating that you were coasting based on what I see/hear.

Otherwise the video really looked quite nice! more seat time is always the answer to getting faster so keep it up!
Old 05-06-2015, 02:31 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by klodkrawler05
Doesn't look bad at all for only being your 3rd time out!
As you already mentioned there were several spots to get on the gas a bit earlier, being in 2nd might have helped that (I find it usually does!) If you were looking for spots to gain time :35-40 on your video there seems to be a whole lot of coasting, generally speaking where at all possible you want to be on the gas or on the brakes at all times. The video doesn't show braking so I'm speculating that you were coasting based on what I see/hear.

Otherwise the video really looked quite nice! more seat time is always the answer to getting faster so keep it up!
Thanks for the feedback, I knew exactly where you were talking about without even looking and you're right I coasted out of that turn, the parking lot slopes downhill at that point into the slalom and bad things would have happened on the gas in 1st, there were a few spins at that section throughout the day. Being in second would have helped my confidence in gassing out of it. Next time

Get notified of new replies

To Noob ran AutoX this past weekend

Quick Reply: Noob ran AutoX this past weekend