Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stoptech ST60/ST40 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 01:28 PM
Mugen1516
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Stoptech ST60/ST40 Questions

Saving up for a big brake kit for my 2010 Grand Sport. Considering Stoptech's offerings currently. Just have a few questions for anyone currently running this setup. I would be looking at the 14" Front/Rear kits.

I've read that the front lower control arms have to be shaved/ground down to fit the Stoptech rotors. I thought I've also read that Stoptech updated the kit and this was no longer required. So, just wondering if this is still the case and if it still is what is the best way to do it? And if anyone has a copy of the installation instructions that they could share, I would greatly appreciate it. I just want to see what is all involved.

The ST60/ST40 kit ships with their Street Performance pads. How do these hold up for HPDE track days and daily driving? Just wondering if I would be able to just install the BBK's as is and have the Street Performance pads serve as dual purpose. I think they Street Performance pads are rated to 1300 F?

Last question...can anyone confirm/deny if the stock Grand Sport wheels work with the ST60/ST40 14" BBKs?
The following users liked this post:
ApexMONSTER (12-31-2020)
Old 05-13-2015, 03:38 PM
JakeL
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Just installed a set of ST60/40's on my C5. My $0.02:

1. I did not have to grind or clearance anything to fit the rotors, front or rear.

2. I can't imagine that street pads would hold up to any kind of track abuse. Highly suggest getting a set of race pads (I prefer Hawk DTC70/60), and brake ducts/spindle ducts. These cars make a lot of heat!

3. Can't speak to the C6 GS wheel fitment.

Have fun!

-Jake
Old 05-13-2015, 04:21 PM
Mugen1516
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JakeL
Just installed a set of ST60/40's on my C5. My $0.02:

1. I did not have to grind or clearance anything to fit the rotors, front or rear.

2. I can't imagine that street pads would hold up to any kind of track abuse. Highly suggest getting a set of race pads (I prefer Hawk DTC70/60), and brake ducts/spindle ducts. These cars make a lot of heat!

3. Can't speak to the C6 GS wheel fitment.

Have fun!

-Jake
Thanks for your input. I wonder if the C6 and C5 lower arms differ. I sent Stoptech an email as well. I'm not opposed to separate street and track pads. Just wondered if I could get away with it.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:30 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Take a look at this post that I did a couple of years ago when I put Stop tech's on my C6. It has before and after pictures of the suspension. It required quite a bit of grinding. I used 4" angle grinder for most of the trimming and then finished it off with a file. It isn't hard but it takes a while to do it right. You have to trim, then put the rotor back on, then move the steering through its full range of motion, mark where you need to trim, and then trim. Repeat that a bunch of times and you are done. The other thing I had to do was trim down my brake ducting at the wheel. This is necessary because the rotor plane is moved inboard to make room for those big calipers. I highly recommend the Stop Tech's they are definitely worth the effort.

Charley

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...installed.html

Old 05-13-2015, 06:36 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

The ST60/ST40 kit ships with their Street Performance pads. How do these hold up for HPDE track days and daily driving? Just wondering if I would be able to just install the BBK's as is and have the Street Performance pads serve as dual purpose. I think they Street Performance pads are rated to 1300 F?

Don't know about fitment for calipers but for pad's I would go to a recommended pad that can perform on the street and track such as the Carbotech XP10 with XP8 rear can be driven on street with no problem. Yes, you will have some brake noise but this all depends on tires you are using.

Carbotech™ XP10™

When Carbotech™ unleashed the XP10™ to the general public it immediately gathered multiple regional, divisional, and national championships. The XP10™ has a very strong initial bite with a coefficient of friction and rotor friendliness unmatched in the industry. Fade resistance is in excess of 1475°F (801°C). XP10™ still maintains the highly praised release, excellent modulation and rotor friendliness that have made all Carbotech™ compounds so successful. Carbotech™ XP10™ is not recommended as a daily-driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1250°F+ (93°C to 676°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 05-13-2015, 08:50 PM
Mugen1516
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com

Don't know about fitment for calipers but for pad's I would go to a recommended pad that can perform on the street and track such as the Carbotech XP10 with XP8 rear can be driven on street with no problem. Yes, you will have some brake noise but this all depends on tires you are using.

Carbotech™ XP10™

When Carbotech™ unleashed the XP10™ to the general public it immediately gathered multiple regional, divisional, and national championships. The XP10™ has a very strong initial bite with a coefficient of friction and rotor friendliness unmatched in the industry. Fade resistance is in excess of 1475°F (801°C). XP10™ still maintains the highly praised release, excellent modulation and rotor friendliness that have made all Carbotech™ compounds so successful. Carbotech™ XP10™ is not recommended as a daily-driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1250°F+ (93°C to 676°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.
I'm on Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The XP10/XP8 combo is definitely on my list if/when I end up going with the Stoptech setup. The pads are very affordable. What does swapping back and forth from the Bobcat 1521s look like? Can you just swap directly or does it require rebedding etc.?
Old 05-13-2015, 08:54 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by Mugen1516
I'm on Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The XP10/XP8 combo is definitely on my list if/when I end up going with the Stoptech setup. The pads are very affordable. What does swapping back and forth from the Bobcat 1521s look like? Can you just swap directly or does it require rebedding etc.?
No, all Carbotech compounds are compatible with each other just swap pads and go, no need to re-bed.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:07 PM
Mugen1516
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
No, all Carbotech compounds are compatible with each other just swap pads and go, no need to re-bed.
Awesome, that's good news.
Old 05-13-2015, 09:34 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Saving up for a big brake kit for my 2010 Grand Sport. Considering Stoptech's offerings currently. Just have a few questions for anyone currently running this setup. I would be looking at the 14" Front/Rear kits.

I've read that the front lower control arms have to be shaved/ground down to fit the Stoptech rotors. I thought I've also read that Stoptech updated the kit and this was no longer required. So, just wondering if this is still the case and if it still is what is the best way to do it? And if anyone has a copy of the installation instructions that they could share, I would greatly appreciate it. I just want to see what is all involved.

Last question...can anyone confirm/deny if the stock Grand Sport wheels work with the ST60/ST40 14" BBKs?
I have Stoptechs. They did require a little grinding of the casting flash.
Thet are great brakes. I run the Stoptech Street Performance pads on the street and for "light" track work like MSR Cresson and TWS, but I recommend full race pads (DTC 70/60) for tracks which are hard braking (like Road America and Eagles Canyon). They are supposedly good to 1300 degrees F. but I would use a race pad for that temperature, and remember the weight and performance of your car, i would expect to see that temperature or higher. I think the Street Pewrformance pad is an excellent pad for the street, and for average track drivers. If you are aggressive, or use a very aggressive track, then I would talk with Adam
Old 05-17-2015, 05:53 PM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm very impressed with stoptechs. The street pads will hold up much better than any race pad on the stock brakes, but of course a race pad is the way to go for 10/10 all day.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:46 PM
Vettechris996
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the ST60/40 setup on my C5Z and I did not have to grind anything on the lower control arms. Of course when my hubs decided they had had enough over 1G+ corners the rotors did a bit of self clearancing but it actually looks fairly even so I left it alone. The setup is worth every penny if you drive on the track! The pedal consistency and ability to modulate the brakes is really really nice as a driver. I have used Carbotech pads and they have been flawless. I swap in track pads and hit the track, then swap them out for street/autoX pads and go. No bedding necessary and with the removable bridges pad changes are super easy! If you plan on continuing to enjoy the car on track spend the money and don't look back! You'll be glad you did!
Old 05-17-2015, 09:10 PM
Mugen1516
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I'm not too worried about having to do the grinding. I just wanted to prepare myself if I go the Stoptech route.

The only thing holding me back (as dumb as it sounds) is the problems I've read about with the caliper paint fading and discoloring. Just makes me hesitant to throw down $3k on a BBK only to have that problem arise. Makes me just want to do the Stoptech Trophy Sport Kit instead just for the anodizing vs. the painted finish. Or go with the AP Racing Endurance Kit for the raw finish but then I worry about maintenance (with the having no dust boots and raw finish). Car is mainly street car and will probably do 10 or less track days per year.

How is everyone's ST-60/ST-40 caliper paint holding up?

I can swing the standard Stoptech ST-60 355mm Kit up front with Carbotech XP10 pads and also Stoptech slotted rotors for the OEM rear caliper with XP8 one-piece pads now or save a little more for a Trophy Sport Kit or AP Racing Endurance setup.

Thoughts?
Old 05-17-2015, 10:47 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah, I'm not too worried about having to do the grinding. I just wanted to prepare myself if I go the Stoptech route.

The only thing holding me back (as dumb as it sounds) is the problems I've read about with the caliper paint fading and discoloring. Just makes me hesitant to throw down $3k on a BBK only to have that problem arise. Makes me just want to do the Stoptech Trophy Sport Kit instead just for the anodizing vs. the painted finish. Or go with the AP Racing Endurance Kit for the raw finish but then I worry about maintenance (with the having no dust boots and raw finish). Car is mainly street car and will probably do 10 or less track days per year.

How is everyone's ST-60/ST-40 caliper paint holding up?

I can swing the standard Stoptech ST-60 355mm Kit up front with Carbotech XP10 pads and also Stoptech slotted rotors for the OEM rear caliper with XP8 one-piece pads now or save a little more for a Trophy Sport Kit or AP Racing Endurance setup.

Thoughts?

If you are concerned about the paint dis coloring you might want to get them in black,which is what Stoptech recommends for heavy track usage. Although, if you are tracking your car 10 times per year it is going to quickly get beat up enough that you likely won't be too worried about a little discoloration.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:34 AM
Vettechris996
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I bought mine I bought them used. They had seen heavy (good drivers on sticky tires and aggressive pads) track use on two Z06s before I owned them. The ST60 fronts were slightly darker red than the rears but once they were on the car you'd never notice. More obvious was missing paint from brake fluid that had been allowed to drip down the calipers and sit for a while. If you don't let brake fluid sit on them I'd think they would hold up quite well. Black is a good option too.
Old 05-18-2015, 09:58 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Before you make any final decisions, you may also want to check out our new AP Racing Pro5000R Radi-CAL's. We're test fitting them on a C6 Z06 today, and they'll be available for purchase very soon. More details in this thread.

More about the AP Radi-CAL design philosophy here.

In this pic are the CP5060 used in our current Endurance Kit, the CP9660 (18mm thick pad), and the CP9668 (25mm thick pad).

Old 05-18-2015, 11:01 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

One more note...I'm overstocked on our AP Racing Factory six piston kits. I can give you a crazy good deal on a set of these if you're interested. We have them in black and red paint. Shoot me a PM if you're interested. Thanks.

Old 05-18-2015, 12:05 PM
Mugen1516
Burning Brakes

Those radical calipers are beautiful but probably out of my price range.

PMed

Get notified of new replies

To Stoptech ST60/ST40 Questions

Old 05-18-2015, 02:04 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Those radical calipers are beautiful but probably out of my price range.

PMed
Thanks! The Radi-CAL kits will start at roughly $3899. That's slightly more expensive, but not too shabby for technology that up until now would have cost $10k minimum. Also, there isn't anything else remotely similar from competitors at any price point.
Old 05-19-2015, 02:04 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Is that pricing for radi-cal or pro5000R?
Will they be offered in piston sizes smaller than the 27, 31.8, 38.1? I prefer a smaller piston area with the factory hydraulics in the C5?
Old 05-19-2015, 08:41 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by trackboss
Is that pricing for radi-cal or pro5000R?
Will they be offered in piston sizes smaller than the 27, 31.8, 38.1? I prefer a smaller piston area with the factory hydraulics in the C5?
Radi-CAL is the overarching name of the design technology used for that type of AP Racing caliper. The Pro5000R is a new line of calipers, and they are Radi-CAL's. The pricing I showed is for a complete front big brake kit that includes the CP9660, which is a Pro5000R Radi-CAL. The kit would be exactly like this one, except it would have the CP9660 calipers instead of the CP5060 calipers shown in the kit (the CP9668, which accommodates a thicker pad, will also be available at a slightly higher price).

At present there is no smaller piston size option. With our planned setup, brake torque very closely mimic's the OEM brake torque on the front of the car (within a couple %), and mates up perfectly with both the OEM rears or our rear Endurance BBK.

Did you read the article to which I linked? The AP Racing Radi-CAL story It talks about the Radi-CAL design philosophy, and you can see various other types of Radi-CAL calipers. It has a lot of good info. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Stoptech ST60/ST40 Questions