Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is my headgasket blown?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2015, 03:26 PM
steve J06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default is my headgasket blown?

'06 ls2 all stock - recently replaced the rad with a Dewitt's after cracking the factory job. Now I can't seem to get the thing to stay full, found a weeping hose and tightened the clamp, but never saw water drips and it's still using water. For others that have swapped radiators, How fast did your system purge the air? did a test drive this am and the coolant got to 240 in about 5 min or 2 miles of mild street driving. I'm thinking head gasket and will pull plugs tonight looking for the steam-cleaned one to confirm. Oil looked fine.
thanks,
Steve
Old 05-14-2015, 05:06 PM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by steve J06
'06 ls2 all stock - recently replaced the rad with a Dewitt's after cracking the factory job. Now I can't seem to get the thing to stay full, found a weeping hose and tightened the clamp, but never saw water drips and it's still using water. For others that have swapped radiators, How fast did your system purge the air? did a test drive this am and the coolant got to 240 in about 5 min or 2 miles of mild street driving. I'm thinking head gasket and will pull plugs tonight looking for the steam-cleaned one to confirm. Oil looked fine.
thanks,
Steve
On my LS6, I left open the coolant lines that hook up to throttle body when filling it to purge the air. Not sure if you have that option on the LS2.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:13 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

If head gasket is blown and it affects water either your cooling system will be very pressurized or white smoke(steam) will be coming out your exhaust.
Purging air is very easy. Pull upper hose from radiator, raise it up reasonably high and fill with water until it comes out radiator (leave surge tank cap off). Re-attach hose and top off at surge tank. Jack up right front corner of car and run motor to full operating temp for a few minutes. Add water as needed. The system itself is setup to be self-purging, but the above makes the process faster.
To me it sounds like you may have a steam pocket somewhere however if the above process does not work then you need to inspect further.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:55 AM
steve J06
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
If head gasket is blown and it affects water either your cooling system will be very pressurized or white smoke(steam) will be coming out your exhaust.
Purging air is very easy. Pull upper hose from radiator, raise it up reasonably high and fill with water until it comes out radiator (leave surge tank cap off). Re-attach hose and top off at surge tank. Jack up right front corner of car and run motor to full operating temp for a few minutes. Add water as needed. The system itself is setup to be self-purging, but the above makes the process faster.
To me it sounds like you may have a steam pocket somewhere however if the above process does not work then you need to inspect further.
Thanks for the suggestions.
The plugs all looked normal and I was hoping to get it wrapped up last night for a track weekend but I tore two wires getting them off to inspect. So now the urgency is over and I'll have all weekend to figure it out.

Get notified of new replies

To is my headgasket blown?

Quick Reply: is my headgasket blown?