Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much weight comes off a rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 11:13 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default How much weight comes off a rotor?

I guessed about 1/4 to 1/2 pound. Any of you guys actually measure before/after?

Old 05-27-2015, 11:37 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Mine crack before they wear.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:57 AM
Ruby6spd
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting question.

Not for a corvette but I have a set of worn and brand new pfc rings from a bmw race car in my trailer. I'll try to remember to weigh them.

I bet it's not a lot of % change though
Old 05-28-2015, 12:40 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Thanks guys, any more comments?

Old 05-29-2015, 10:23 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That Centric is a C6 rotor, if you bought it as a C5 rotor they've probably just obsoleted the old C5 ones as they're interchangeable anyway. The added weight is likely due to the updated hat style which is intended to reduce cracking by allowing flex as the ring expands and contracts with changing temperature. The good news is that the added weight is close to the center so the effect will be minimal, and the added weight will slow you down less than a cracked rotor

As for weight change with wear, I punched up a simple ring model in 3D and pulled a weight off of it based on 2mm worth of wear. Believe it or not, 2mm (1mm per side) worth of wear shows to be just shy of 2 lbs.

Last edited by LateBreak; 05-29-2015 at 10:27 AM.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:01 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by LateBreak
That Centric is a C6 rotor, if you bought it as a C5 rotor they've probably just obsoleted the old C5 ones as they're interchangeable anyway. The added weight is likely due to the updated hat style which is intended to reduce cracking by allowing flex as the ring expands and contracts with changing temperature. The good news is that the added weight is close to the center so the effect will be minimal, and the added weight will slow you down less than a cracked rotor

As for weight change with wear, I punched up a simple ring model in 3D and pulled a weight off of it based on 2mm worth of wear. Believe it or not, 2mm (1mm per side) worth of wear shows to be just shy of 2 lbs.

Wow, I did not expect that!

Thanks for GOOD INFO on this thread!

That centric was 32.32mm new and out of service at 30.0 so that is about spot on, as you know, for regular wear.

Last edited by froggy47; 05-29-2015 at 02:04 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 07:19 PM
flink
Racer

I had a set of Wilwood GT48 rotors. A couple of seasons on them and the slots had basically disappeared. So I ordered a set of HD48's in the same size. The HD48's apparently have a racier metallurgy. When the HD48's arrived I weighed all 4 rotors.

2 x worn GT48's: 24.4 lbs
2 x new HD48's: 24.4 lbs

lol.

Maybe there's a difference in the castings, but they *look* the same.

After 3 hours on the HD48's they still weren't working right: just not enough stopping torque. So I said buggerit and put the old GT48's back on.

Anyone wanna buy a set of nearly-new 13" wilwood rotors?
http://www.wilwood.com/Rotors/RotorP...emno=160-12786
Old 05-29-2015, 07:48 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

The HD casting is simply the GT casting without slots. Both the newer Spec37 material. (derived from their military casting work)

If they were not "working" as well it would likely be due to lack of proper bedding and putting down the base transfer layer. Possibly not having cleaned the rotor before use of the oils to prevent rusting. Or may be a pad change from the previous use? Hard to say..but one won't make more torque vs the other - they're the same diameter.
Old 05-29-2015, 09:21 PM
flink
Racer

Originally Posted by Todd TCE
The HD casting is simply the GT casting without slots. Both the newer Spec37 material. (derived from their military casting work)

If they were not "working" as well it would likely be due to lack of proper bedding and putting down the base transfer layer. Possibly not having cleaned the rotor before use of the oils to prevent rusting. Or may be a pad change from the previous use? Hard to say..but one won't make more torque vs the other - they're the same diameter.
hm, OK, useful, thanks. I don't think I imagined it - I had to dial in more front bias to prevent rear lockups. I doubt if the absence of slots will affect this.

The rotors do take a long time to come in - for the first two sessions the GT rotors shed huge amounts of brake dust and didn't work well. After the surface grinding had been worn down they bedded and worked OK. The HD rotors (two years later...) didn't have as much (or any) grinding roughness and they didn't do this.

These HD rotors *look* OK: nice smooth and uniform surface. Shrug. I guess sometime I'll try them again.

Get notified of new replies

To How much weight comes off a rotor?

Quick Reply: How much weight comes off a rotor?