Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dry sump – Internal or External pump for pressure?

Old 05-29-2015, 01:47 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Dry sump – Internal or External pump for pressure?

I am doing a LS6 engine build and am adding a dry sump. I have been doing a lot of research on dry sump systems and one issue that I can’t seem to get consensus on is whether or not to use an external pressure pump or internal stock (or aftermarket high volume Mellings) pump.

The dry sump manufacturers unanimously agree that an external pump is far superior for reasons outlined below. I’ve spoken with a few engine builders, fabricators and drivers who prefer internal pumps.

Below is a compilation of what I’ve found so far. I’d love any insight you have or whether my findings aren’t accurate. My current plan is to get a three scavenge line system and use an upgraded Mellings internal pump. The cost difference isn’t a big issue (as it’s not typically that much different depending on the vendor) as I want to do it “right”. Problem is that I can’t determine what “right” means.

Edit: This is for a dedicated race car. No need to retain A/C, etc.

Edit: Internal/External pressure systems are about the same price from both ARE and Aviaid

External Pump:
Pros:
No cavitation at high RPMs.
More control of pressure.

Cons:
If you lose the belt that drives the pump, oil flow stops and engine most likely is lost.
Can be more difficult to fabricate the install (depending on amount of scavenge lines) .

Internal pump:
Pros:
Since this pump runs off of the crank, it’s always spinning. If you lose a belt, you still have pressure.
Internal pumps rarely fail.
Easier to install.

Cons:
“less control” of pressure.
High RPM cavitation.

I’ll update my findings above with comments so hopefully someone else can use this thread in the future.

Last edited by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe; 05-31-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:14 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Well, I have a few years of using dry sumps systems. I would go with and external pump if I was not going to have air conditioning. If this is a race car, definitely external pump. What you are missing is the scavage with the internal pump is marginal at best even with a Katech internal pump. Katech even recommends and installs an ARE external additional scavage pump.

You are correct you can adjust the external pump pressure which is a great advantage. In in 56 years of racing I have never had and external dry sump pump belt come off. I have broken them when the engine failed but never come off. Most external belts are adjusted too tight. They should be adjusted so the belt can be twisted 1/2 turn.

I recommend you call Gary Armstrong at ARE, 916-652-5282, and talk with him. Tell him Jim Painter told you to call him. Follow his recommendations on line sizes and installation exactly. Line size is very important. Get one of his new tanks and I would also install a Spintric.

Good luck.

Jim
Old 05-29-2015, 02:29 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Originally Posted by Painrace
Well, I have a few years of using dry sumps systems. I would go with and external pump if I was not going to have air conditioning. If this is a race car, definitely external pump. What you are missing is the scavage with the internal pump is marginal at best even with a Katech internal pump. Katech even recommends and installs an ARE external additional scavage pump.

You are correct you can adjust the external pump pressure which is a great advantage. In in 56 years of racing I have never had and external dry sump pump belt come off. I have broken them when the engine failed but never come off. Most external belts are adjusted too tight. They should be adjusted so the belt can be twisted 1/2 turn.

I recommend you call Gary Armstrong at ARE, 916-652-5282, and talk with him. Tell him Jim Painter told you to call him. Follow his recommendations on line sizes and installation exactly. Line size is very important. Get one of his new tanks and I would also install a Spintric.

Good luck.

Jim
Thanks for the reply and insight Jim. And yes, this is a dedicated race car (original post modified to include this info).

What you are missing is the scavage with the internal pump is marginal at best even with a Katech internal pump.
I was under the impression that the scavenge pump (circled in red) is separate from the pressure pump (circled in blue) and is always external. From ARE's website:

I've talked to Gary at ARE and he was a great help.

Last edited by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe; 06-02-2015 at 12:43 AM.
Old 05-30-2015, 08:27 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

I think the key is what RPM you are turning the engine. If you are going to be under 7,200 RPM the internal pump is fine and cavitation shouldn't be an issue. However, since you are doing a build with the motor out of the car, other than the additional costs, there really is little downside of an external pump.
Old 05-30-2015, 09:50 AM
flash911
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hi Volts Z06
I think the key is what RPM you are turning the engine. If you are going to be under 7,200 RPM the internal pump is fine and cavitation shouldn't be an issue. However, since you are doing a build with the motor out of the car, other than the additional costs, there really is little downside of an external pump.
^ I would agree with this. Also, an external pump creates a little extra vacuum which is free HP. If I was starting over or doing a system from scratch (I am for a new project), I'd get a Daley pan and pump with a Spinton or other air / oil separator system.

http://www.daileyengineering.com/ls_engines.htm

ARE, Aviad, etc all have internal pump oil control solutions which include pan baffles, aftermarket tanks and blueprinted pumps which seem to work very well.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:55 AM
Bink
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Just a thought - Dailey Engineering http://daileyengineering.com/ls_prod...side_mount.htm

Old 05-30-2015, 11:22 AM
Screamin Z
Burning Brakes

The scavenge and pressure side of the pump are all in the same housing.
Old 05-31-2015, 05:14 AM
topmover
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I have used two different external brands, stock LS7 internal, and ARE/Katech internal system which is what I currently have.

I had a ton of issues with my first external set up including a broken pump shaft which resulted in a total loss of oil pressure. Once I switched to an Armstrong pump it worked awesome although I always worried about the belt coming off...........I'm told you can wire a shut off switch if you wish.

I like my current set up as I don't worry about the belt however I've kept the motor somewhat tame.............. the Armstrong seemed to keep the pressure much higher later in a race.

For me if my car were a purpose built tube car with plenty of clearance I'd probably go with the Armstrong external regardless of the engine.

On a production built race car I would likely only consider the external if I were going with a high rpm or high hp build(over 500-550 rwhp)

Just my opinion as I'm no expert but do have some varying experiances.
Old 05-31-2015, 11:08 AM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Not too fond of internal pumps

Old 05-31-2015, 11:59 AM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JVetthead
Not too fond of internal pumps

JVetteHead clued me in on the Dailey a couple of years ago. I had to have it. Great system and great support from Bill Dailey the owner Dailey dry sumps.

Here's JVetteheads awesome set up.

This is my setup on an LS3

I don't have motor mounts as fancy as his. I got these from Speed South to handle the clearance of the massive pump.

Finally getting finished up.

The Dailey is the best!
Old 05-31-2015, 03:16 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Thanks for the reply and insight Jim. And yes, this is a dedicated race car (original post modified to include this info).

I was under the impression that the scavenge pump (circled in red) is separate from the pressure pump (circled in blue) and is always external. From ARE's website:

I've talked to Gary at ARE and he was a great help. I've already ordered a tank from him (so I can get started on the tank fab work) but haven't decided on the pump yet.
It is one pump with 4 stages. One is oil pressure and three are oil scavage.

Follow Gary's information exactly. Vent each valve cover back to the top of the dry sump tank. Small diameter lines will do it.

Jim
Old 05-31-2015, 10:14 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Thanks for the replies everyone. I haven't talked to Dailey yet, I'll do that soon.

Updated original post to verify that going with an internal pump isn't less expensive than getting an external pump.

Last edited by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe; 06-02-2015 at 12:37 AM.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:13 AM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

The thing with the Daily pan is there are no external scavenge lines there are internal passages as the pump is attached to the pan.
So that means 6 less hose ends for potential leaks or failure
Old 06-02-2015, 12:39 AM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Originally Posted by JVetthead
The thing with the Daily pan is there are no external scavenge lines there are internal passages as the pump is attached to the pan.
So that means 6 less hose ends for potential leaks or failure
Talked to Dailey today. Very trick setup indeed. Unfortunately, the most expensive option that I have found.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:35 PM
JVetthead
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Talked to Dailey today. Very trick setup indeed. Unfortunately, the most expensive option that I have found.
They usually have used units for sale.
Old 06-02-2015, 01:00 PM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Screamin Z
The scavenge and pressure side of the pump are all in the same housing.
Anyone figure out a way to adjust pressure on this pump after installed in a C5? The adjustor is at the bottom left of the pressure inlet in the picture.

Had I known, I would have drilled a hole thru the bottom of the engine support bracket to allow access from the bottom for adjustment.
The jam nut can be reached from the side.

Normally the pressure would be set while running on an engine dyno.

Last edited by yooper; 06-02-2015 at 01:32 PM. Reason: tried attaching photo
Old 06-02-2015, 04:13 PM
jimtway
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by yooper
Anyone figure out a way to adjust pressure on this pump after installed in a C5? The adjustor is at the bottom left of the pressure inlet in the picture.

Had I known, I would have drilled a hole thru the bottom of the engine support bracket to allow access from the bottom for adjustment.
The jam nut can be reached from the side.

Normally the pressure would be set while running on an engine dyno.
I just reach in with a couple of wrenches from underneath the car. Its sucks, but its doable. FYI, I backed my regulator all the way to the minimum (lowest PSI) setting. We run 10-30w oil and are at 80 psi cold idle.

Get notified of new replies

To Dry sump – Internal or External pump for pressure?

Old 06-02-2015, 04:17 PM
jimtway
Racer

Kevin, I would add to the con list or note for the 4 stage that you need to fabricate your own passenger side engine bracket. You also need to find a smaller diameter motor mount or go solid mount. The aft pressure in port sits right over the OEM mount location.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:00 PM
yooper
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimtway
Kevin, I would add to the con list or note for the 4 stage that you need to fabricate your own passenger side engine bracket. You also need to find a smaller diameter motor mount or go solid mount. The aft pressure in port sits right over the OEM mount location.
Thanks for the info on the adjustment. Do you have coilovers or a leaf spring?

Here is a picture before installing in car.
Attached Images  

Last edited by yooper; 06-02-2015 at 05:14 PM. Reason: better picture and spelling
The following users liked this post:
GO_BLUE_VETTES (01-03-2016)
Old 06-02-2015, 05:03 PM
jimtway
Racer

Originally Posted by yooper
Thanks for the info on the adjustment. Do you have coilovers or a leaf spring?

Here is a picture before installing in car. Will to post a better picture
Coilovers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dry sump – Internal or External pump for pressure?