Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aero recommendations for C5Z

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 08:21 AM
555ss
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Aero recommendations for C5Z

I have a C5Z that is mostly HPDE driven and it is time to go for aero. Looking for any experience with different suppliers... wing, splitters, canards
Looking for a wing that does not extend past the body.
The car has full t1 kit with spherical bearings, 315 a7's square, ap brakes, and is driven hard well maybe too hard....
Thanks,
Bob
Old 06-09-2015, 08:50 AM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I built everything myself so I don't have experience with purchased stuff, but just wanted to to tell you to make sure you don't install a splitter before a wing for the track. I put my splitter on first and the car was awful on the track, very spooky to drive with the aero imbalance.
Old 06-09-2015, 09:05 AM
Hi Volts Z06
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Agreed. You need to do both wing and splitter at the same time. Wings can be purchased but I have always found that making your own splitters is the best way to go. You can use plywood or Aluma-light but since a splitter is ultimately an expendable items, you are going to find that you want something that is strong enough to support you rocking the car with your foot while still breaking away easily in a bad off. There are a lot of threads here regarding the topic. Try searching "DYI Splitter"
Old 06-09-2015, 09:39 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

I've installed 3 ACP front bumper/splitter assemblies and the fit has a lot to be desired of. The amount of extra time needed to sort things out isn't worth the cheaper pricing. If you just try to bolt the splitter to the fascia the splitter will be pointed the wrong way (uphill instead of downhill - front to back). On one car we were able to heat it and bend it down on another I had to make up my own spacers to get things to come out correctly.

I would highly recommend the Blackdog Racing fascia and splitter assembly IMO it's a much better design and there is minimal "extra work" needed to get it to fit, it's more expensive but worth it.

No matter what parts you go with you still need to come up with your own mounting solution, make sure that your mounting solution is adjustable - it will really help down the line to make sure the splitter is properly adjusted.

There are a lot of good wing set-ups out there some with frame mounts included. The Good Aero wing is the same one used by Danny Popp but it extends rearward past the bumper, but I would still check it out. Otherwise LG, Blackdog and ARP Performance all have decent options.
Old 06-09-2015, 02:43 PM
SunnydayDILYSI
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

For the guys with aero and Hoosiers, do you also have accusump or dry sump? Any oiling issues?
Old 06-09-2015, 06:23 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
For the guys with aero and Hoosiers, do you also have accusump or dry sump? Any oiling issues?
If you're still running a LS6 then I really don't think a dry sump is necessary - there are a lot of really fast cars that ran/run there C5's with big time aero without issues. However it's never a bad idea, an accusump is really nice for pre-oiling but I really don't think it adds that much safety for starvation, the dry sump is really the only way to prevent starvation issues.

If you put an LS2, 3 or 7 in your C5 then the dry sump would become a necessity IMO.
Old 06-10-2015, 07:44 AM
555ss
Instructor

Originally Posted by 96CollectorSport
If you're still running a LS6 then I really don't think a dry sump is necessary - there are a lot of really fast cars that ran/run there C5's with big time aero without issues. However it's never a bad idea, an accusump is really nice for pre-oiling but I really don't think it adds that much safety for starvation, the dry sump is really the only way to prevent starvation issues.

If you put an LS2, 3 or 7 in your C5 then the dry sump would become a necessity IMO.
I m running a 3 quart accusump for oil starvation stock LS6 with the t-1 package and a6's at NHMS and pocono huge oil pressure loss with out it. thanks guys for the info
Bob
Old 06-10-2015, 10:25 AM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 555ss
I m running a 3 quart accusump for oil starvation stock LS6 with the t-1 package and a6's at NHMS and pocono huge oil pressure loss with out it. thanks guys for the info
Bob
Good to know it works well for you, I know of T1 racers that took the accusumps off of there T1 cars to save weight. Most of the cars that I am familiar with are run Mid-west and Great Lakes tracks, not banked tracks like Pocono.
Check with RX-Ben to see what he's running in his C5 I believe he runs those tracks - he may be some help in the aero department as well.
Old 06-10-2015, 11:03 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by SunnydayDILYSI
Make your own splitter. For a Wong I chose kognition. You can make it any dimension you want. I kept mine at 70". I run slicks and a Ls3. No dry sump or accusump. It's a worked head/ motor car with drilled lifter trays. That's it.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:54 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check your PMs
Old 06-11-2015, 08:04 AM
555ss
Instructor

from their site.....???

Welcome to our site!

Kognition has discontinued wing production, and is in the process of new product developments this year. We will be updating the site shortly!
Old 06-11-2015, 12:47 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

from their site.....???

Welcome to our site!

Kognition has discontinued wing production, and is in the process of new product developments this year. We will be updating the site shortly!
Dang....that sucks. Quality is awesome. Didn't sell to many though I don't think
Old 06-12-2015, 05:22 PM
jwebsta32
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get ahold of this guy!

http://www.ajhartmanracing.com/c5/
Old 06-14-2015, 11:15 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

from their site.....???

Welcome to our site!

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Dang....that sucks. Quality is awesome. Didn't sell to many though I don't think
That's because the owner is a complete dick and couldn't run a hot dog stand much less a real world composites shop. Not surprised at all to see him out of the business.
Old 06-15-2015, 12:07 AM
mountainbiker2
Melting Slicks

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
That's because the owner is a complete dick and couldn't run a hot dog stand much less a real world composites shop. Not surprised at all to see him out of the business.
+1
Old 06-17-2015, 01:58 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Originally Posted by sperkins
Ouch....I never had issue. Had to wait a month to get the wing though. Was a custom build.
Old 06-17-2015, 09:40 PM
braknl8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Ouch....I never had issue. Had to wait a month to get the wing though. Was a custom build.
I've never heard anyone ask Scott why he sugar-coats everything.

Hard to believe no one has asked.....Why add aero for DE? It's going to cost a good deal of $ for a well designed wing, you'll either pay a good deal of $ or need to fab a splitter yourself, you're probably going to want to get adjustable shocks (and learn to adjust/tune them) for different tracks where you'll be adjusting aoa to take full advantage of the package. Plus, as others have mentioned, in your car now if you have an off you'll most-likely mow a little grass...pull through the pits for a quick check and be on your way. After Aero, you'll most likely be repairing something up front...more time and $ and probably a lost session or two while you at least clean up the mess of a front and pull the wing off so you can drive the rest of the day/weekend. It looks cool and its a little faster but unless your chasing the clock (TT) or someone else (w2w), why bother? Please don't take this as a knock on what you want to do, and if it's what you want by all means take what others have suggested and go for it. But at least ask your self twice if it will be worth it for what you are wanting to do.

If you do, certainly give AJ a call. Seems to be a hard-working, sincere guy that puts out quality products.

Last edited by braknl8; 06-17-2015 at 10:48 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:50 AM
555ss
Instructor

Originally Posted by braknl8
I've never heard anyone ask Scott why he sugar-coats everything.

Hard to believe no one has asked.....Why add aero for DE? It's going to cost a good deal of $ for a well designed wing, you'll either pay a good deal of $ or need to fab a splitter yourself, you're probably going to want to get adjustable shocks (and learn to adjust/tune them) for different tracks where you'll be adjusting aoa to take full advantage of the package. Plus, as others have mentioned, in your car now if you have an off you'll most-likely mow a little grass...pull through the pits for a quick check and be on your way. After Aero, you'll most likely be repairing something up front...more time and $ and probably a lost session or two while you at least clean up the mess of a front and pull the wing off so you can drive the rest of the day/weekend. It looks cool and its a little faster but unless your chasing the clock (TT) or someone else (w2w), why bother? Please don't take this as a knock on what you want to do, and if it's what you want by all means take what others have suggested and go for it. But at least ask your self twice if it will be worth it for what you are wanting to do.

If you do, certainly give AJ a call. Seems to be a hard-working, sincere guy that puts out quality products.
No worries I am TTing the car and it has been sub 2:08 at the glen long course the car is just needs more grip and have tuned the bars ect. it is running 315 A7's square
I have a few points left in the class and need to catch a GTR (about 1 second to 1.5 faster most tracks), and figure the only way is to be MUCH faster in the corners cause he has me totaly out motored..... I have to fix crap all the time so a bit of areo repair not a big deal and offs have until very latly been few...
Old 06-18-2015, 10:34 AM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '14-'15

No worries I am TTing the car and it has been sub 2:08 at the glen long course the car is just needs more grip and have tuned the bars ect. it is running 315 A7's square
I have a few points left in the class and need to catch a GTR (about 1 second to 1.5 faster most tracks), and figure the only way is to be MUCH faster in the corners cause he has me totaly out motored..... I have to fix crap all the time so a bit of areo repair not a big deal and offs have until very latly been few...
I've had the same splitter on for 4 years. I also drive it on the street. Pick your material wisely and it will take any beating. I used abs plastic 1/4".
Alumalite is light and strong...but one F up and its toast.

Get notified of new replies

To Aero recommendations for C5Z

Quick Reply: Aero recommendations for C5Z