Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMPP warranty for LS7?? issues anyone??

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 08:44 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

Default GMPP warranty for LS7?? issues anyone??

Hey Guys, I extended my GMPP warranty today for my 2011 Z. Now covered till 2019 52K.

For me it was time not mileage so I bought it being concerned about the valve issue.

So I read the book today and it states not covered for being "Raced or in competition"

I dont race or compete but have gone to an HPDE which the car is designed for.

Anyone lose an engine in the GMPP warranty not GM warranty and not be covered??
Anyone with experience in GMPP.

I have read of many guys being covered but most with the 5 year 100k GM warranty.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2015, 09:51 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Having been on one end of the warranty business for many years, I strongly suggest that you keep the track exploits between you and your Corvette and not bring this up at your dealer or with GMPP. Defining the fine line between "competition, racing and HPDE's" is not going to work out in your favor if the administrator knows the car has been used on a "racetrack" where "races and competitions" are normally held.

My advice, should something fail that is covered by GMPP during a HPDE. Cover your own tow to your house and make arrangements for a tow from there. I'd share the details of the failure and adjust the location.

Last edited by ZedO6; 06-12-2015 at 09:56 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 10:10 PM
seamus2154
Drifting

Received 125 Likes on 94 Posts

I can agree with that advice and that would be my intention. I would never flaunt it in their face looking for that fight. I am asking if guys have experienced GMPP with that situation and had them looking to deny the claim. Bill in the Zo6 section said their was a member here that did have his claim denied but he had advertised tracking and posted videos tracking?/

Thanks we agree!
Old 06-12-2015, 10:16 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Good plan. Another good reason to keep the license plate covered or removed during your track exploits, lest you star in someone's youtube track video!
Old 06-12-2015, 11:00 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

I had gmpp cover my balancer (which parted ways with my crank at an autox event) , they (gmpp) will almost always send a subcontractor/agent to inspect the work b4 they will pay.

The sub went over it with my (not a dealer) mechanic.

Some folks are mistakenly under the impression that they HAVE TO go to a dealer for the repair. YOU DON'T necessarily. There are details. Too much to go into here.

So long as the car is not obviously a track piece (don't ask me to specify what that means - it depends on the agent) you should be ok.

Of course this excludes damage that can be clearly related to an "off road" choice of race line.

Hope that helps, that's from the horses mouth, not second hand.

A lot of guys take some precautions to anonymize their car, couldn't hurt.

Last edited by froggy47; 06-12-2015 at 11:06 PM.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:11 AM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by ZedO6
My advice, should something fail that is covered by GMPP during a HPDE. Cover your own tow to your house and make arrangements for a tow from there. I'd share the details of the failure and adjust the location.
Second that. My dad's 2007 LS2 blew at The Glen and they through the book at him. $15,000 for a new engine.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:11 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by ZedO6
Good plan. Another good reason to keep the license plate covered or removed during your track exploits, lest you star in someone's youtube track video!
I remember back in the late 60's and early 70's when muscle cars were popular for drag racing. The dealers would send staff out to the events and record license plate numbers of their models of new cars. They would then keep a posted list of those plates in the dealer shops with a statement that said no engine or drivetrain work can be performed under the factory warranty. And the dealers would also share the lists with other dealers if somebody tried to "shop" warranty work.

A lot of people will remove their plates now more because of insurance concerns. Some insurance companies will simply cancal a policy if they get a claim for damages that happen at a track and come companies will cancel a policy if the car is even seen parked at a track.
Old 06-13-2015, 09:22 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

they are sneaky bastards they scanned the internet for days til they found a video of my vette on a drag race video on my youtube and denied motor claim due to that although it was from several years before thatt. beware they will try to deny anything they have a chance especially a big $ claim
Old 06-13-2015, 11:20 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

The repair shop dealer or independent has a part in accepting or rejecting claims. As a writer I want claims covered warranty companies have plenty of money vs owners. As a tech maybe not. Because factory labor time is considerably lower than "Chilton" time. Best not to share exploits and ask others too keep you off the radar as well.

Get notified of new replies

To GMPP warranty for LS7?? issues anyone??

Quick Reply: GMPP warranty for LS7?? issues anyone??