Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 no TPMS

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2015, 11:06 PM
ShaWING66
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6 no TPMS

After a search I keep getting mixed results and I feel as if the people aren't specific enough when asking the question... So hopefully this is the thread to end all threads. I have 2007 with z51 to narrow it down.

I am looking to pick up some wheels and tires that do not have TPMS in them... I am only doing HPDEs but I drive with traction and active handling completely OFF. Do I need to install TPMS in the wheels (I will eventually in the next set of tires) if they are only being used in the track? Thanks!
Old 06-14-2015, 12:27 AM
db2xpert
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaWING66
After a search I keep getting mixed results and I feel as if the people aren't specific enough when asking the question... So hopefully this is the thread to end all threads. I have 2007 with z51 to narrow it down.

I am looking to pick up some wheels and tires that do not have TPMS in them... I am only doing HPDEs but I drive with traction and active handling completely OFF. Do I need to install TPMS in the wheels (I will eventually in the next set of tires) if they are only being used in the track? Thanks!
'07 Z06 you need them. when it detects no senders (pressure) it will screw you up. Before I had senders in my race wheels, I'd have the street tires next to car in the pits. It would give me about 20-25 mins before losing the information in memory. Turning the car off resets the timeout interval.

There are a few threads in the Z06 forum about this.
Check them out.
Old 06-15-2015, 01:52 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,928 Likes on 5,333 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaWING66

The system requires the sensors. If one or more are missing or dead the system will apply the front brakes to slow the car to 55 mph it chooses to do this in turns. If you get a low pressure indication (as sometimes happens when a sensor starts to die) it will apply the brakes. This can be a problem if you just pass somebody at 120 mph and pull in front of them coming out of a turn and the front brakes are applied hard.

One solution is to place your street wheels near the car so it can pick them up when you park. On my 08 I can get about a half hour mas of run time before the system starts applying the front brakes in turns to bring the speed down to 55 mph. This all depends on when in the once per hour update interval you start the car. Different year cars respond differently to some of the solutions. An 07 may be able to run for an hour while a 10 may only get 15 minutes. Carrying a pressurized pipe with sensors in the rear cubby works the same way so don't bother doing that. Once your time runs out the brakes are applied.

One solution that works is to disconnect the steering sensor which disables AH. The system uses AH to apply the front brakes so when you disable AH you stop the brake application. However, the connector to the steering sensor is on wires that are very tightly pulled to the sensor and they aren't exactly robust, the connector itself is a low cycle connector (the designer never expected it to be disconnected over 50 to 100 times in its life cycle) so it isn't robust either and can start failing after a few disconnects and insertions.

Disconnecting the steering sensor shuts down AH, leaves TC and ABS active so you still have to use the console button to shut off TC before leaving pit lane.

LG has a module that you can add to the system. It isn't cheap but you can eliminate the sensors.

If you only have one set of track wheels the easiest thing to do is to use sensors and buy a programming tool. Bob at House of Wheels has an excellent price on OEM TPMS sensors. Don't buy Dorman sensors as they tend to fail quickly and their one year warranty only allows one replacement and they don't cover the cost of breaking down the tire to remove and reinstall sensors (guess how I know that info).

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 06-15-2015 at 01:55 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 no TPMS

Quick Reply: C6 no TPMS