Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Katech Titanium 12x1.5mm 12pt lug nuts. Finally, an affordable, quality Ti lug nut!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 10:46 AM
Katech_Zach
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 966 Likes on 528 Posts
C7 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Originally Posted by tyho
Are the Ti nuts make in the US or overseas? I read somewhere they are from China?
In China. We torture tested these lug nuts with over 100 torques at full impact way over the torque spec until the stock stud broke. We're very happy with the quality and feel comfortable putting our name on them.

(e) zach@katechengines.com
Old 02-04-2019, 11:27 AM
MR Turco
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

For what it's worth. I've been running these for a little over a year with probably a dozen wheel changes (track to street wheels). Using ARP on my SKF hubs and stock bolts on my stockers and haven't had a single issue with the lugs. Just make sure you re-torque them after a couple laps. Very happy with the product, also they are disturbingly light.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:30 AM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Received 310 Likes on 213 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (track prepared)
C7 of Year Winner (track prepared) 2019

I'm at a season and a half with your lug nuts and they're fine. (knock on wood)

I need another set just to have on hand tho.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:43 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by lobsterroboto

I am the guy (when these originally came out) who asked how many seasons will they last. Well it was a dumb question for obvious reasons, a "season" for one guy is 4 events, for me it's closer to 40.

Anyway I'm on my 5th year with these and there are zero issues. My only "complaint" if you want to call it that, is that it's hard to find impact rated 12 point sockets. If I can pass a tip on to Jason (we talked a couple of times) is to offer ONE 1/2 inch drive impact socket with a set of 20 nuts. Charge a little or even make it free. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the response (sales).

Don't forget if you do this send me a couple (they get lost), I'm still using non impact.

Froggy.

Last edited by froggy47; 02-04-2019 at 11:46 AM.
Old 02-04-2019, 11:49 AM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Originally Posted by froggy47
I am the guy (when these originally came out) who asked how many seasons will they last. Well it was a dumb question for obvious reasons, a "season" for one guy is 4 events, for me it's closer to 40.

Anyway I'm on my 5th year with these and there are zero issues. My only "complaint" if you want to call it that, is that it's hard to find impact rated 12 point sockets. If I can pass a tip on to Jason (we talked a couple of times) is to offer ONE 1/2 inch drive impact socket with a set of 20 nuts. Charge a little or even make it free. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised at the response (sales).

Don't forget if you do this send me a couple (they get lost), I'm still using non impact.

Froggy.

lol yah a seaon for me is the entirity of the NASA Texas region, a ton of member days and HPDE's.

My stupid impact socket for these nuts is ridiculous, hardware stores don't carry it. I forgot it one event and ran cycled out **** tires for the weekend because I couldn't change wheels. (to far to drive home and not enough time to order a new socket, local stores had none and nobody not retarded uses 12 point at the track.

Old 02-04-2019, 12:07 PM
dclafleur
Le Mans Master

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

Hah, the socket issue is one of my big hangups too. I currently have splined nuts on my wheels and I want to get rid of them because I hate having a non-standard socket.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:15 PM
MR Turco
Pro

I just use a non-impact on my Milwaukee electric impact. Worst case, i ruin the socket and replace it. Not difficult or expensive to keep a couple sockets on hand. Again, I've used it hundreds of times without issue.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:47 PM
froggy47
Race Director

lol yah a seaon for me is the entirity of the NASA Texas region, a ton of member days and HPDE's.

My stupid impact socket for these nuts is ridiculous, hardware stores don't carry it. I forgot it one event and ran cycled out **** tires for the weekend because I couldn't change wheels. (to far to drive home and not enough time to order a new socket, local stores had none and nobody not retarded uses 12 point at the track.

There ya go, HELLO KATECH, it's about the SOCKET.

Old 02-05-2019, 12:49 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by MR Turco
I just use a non-impact on my Milwaukee electric impact. Worst case, i ruin the socket and replace it. Not difficult or expensive to keep a couple sockets on hand. Again, I've used it hundreds of times without issue.
Me too, but it just seems wrong. I'd like to just use the air impact I use on everything else, not worry if my battery impact has the juice to get through a day, just sayin.

Old 02-05-2019, 01:06 PM
Katech_Zach

Originally Posted by MR Turco
I just picked up something like this off Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-267217-2-Inch-12-Point-Impact/dp/B006L238FA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1549389893&sr=8-6&keywords=17mm+socket+1+2+drive https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-267217-2-Inch-12-Point-Impact/dp/B006L238FA/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1549389893&sr=8-6&keywords=17mm+socket+1+2+drive

I've been using it for a long time now.

Last edited by Katech_Zach; 02-05-2019 at 01:06 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Katech_Zach:
froggy47 (02-05-2019), MR Turco (02-05-2019)
Old 02-05-2019, 01:40 PM
MR Turco
Pro

Very cool, added to cart.
Old 03-12-2019, 02:47 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Well, I had two fail this last weekend. no big deal not mad at all will buy some more.

I took them off and when i went to put them on they were just all jammed up and wouldnt thread down. Studs were fine and accepted other lug nuts. v0v
Old 03-12-2019, 05:17 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Well, I had two fail this last weekend. no big deal not mad at all will buy some more.

I took them off and when i went to put them on they were just all jammed up and wouldnt thread down. Studs were fine and accepted other lug nuts. v0v
Picture?

Any chance they were gunned on & not hand started?

Just looking for info as I use these 4 seasons no issue, always hand started.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:08 PM
lobsterroboto
Drifting

Picture?

Any chance they were gunned on & not hand started?

Just looking for info as I use these 4 seasons no issue, always hand started.

I've had track support a handful of times or a friend help with wheel changes here and there, so "maybe" I generally hand start them and then gun them down.

im traveling for work so don't have them any but i kept them ill snap a pic when i get a chance.
Old 03-12-2019, 07:47 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I've had track support a handful of times or a friend help with wheel changes here and there, so "maybe" I generally hand start them and then gun them down.

im traveling for work so don't have them any but i kept them ill snap a pic when i get a chance.
Thank you.
WIKI INFO below

It is significantly stronger than the most commonly used grades of steel. As others have noted, the strongest known alloy steels in their strongest tempers are stronger than the strongest titanium
alloys in their hardest temper. ... As others have pointed out, Titanium is remarkable for its strength, given its weight.

My experience with most cheap lugs is that they fail before the stud. I imagine the Vette studs are a "good" grade steel but probably not as good as ARP's. It woud be interesting if KATECH could chime in to provide the actual hardness number (such as 200,000 psi tensile strength) if they have it. It had to have been specified to the company that made the lugs that KATECH sells.

Here are some for ARP studs made for NASCAR

ARP Wheel Studs - heat-treated 8740 chrome moly, tensile strength of 200,000 psi, sold in 4 or 5 packs, cadmium plated for extra durability, nuts not included

NASCAR Speed Studs - heat-treated 200,000 psi chrome moly steel, precision J-form threads (formed after heat-treat for improved fatigue strength), nut-starter and bullet shape radius, shot-peened, baked-on dry film lubricant, and double magnaflux inspection, fits the registers of all popular hubs without grinding

NASCAR Speed Nuts - profiled nut face for easy installation, quicker socket releases and resistance to jamming, heat-treated chrome moly, nominally rated at 200,000 psi tensile strength, shot-peened, double magnafluxed, coated with Alumotef III

Last edited by froggy47; 03-12-2019 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:32 AM
Katech_Zach

Thank you.
WIKI INFO below

It is significantly stronger than the most commonly used grades of steel. As others have noted, the strongest known alloy steels in their strongest tempers are stronger than the strongest titanium
alloys in their hardest temper. ... As others have pointed out, Titanium is remarkable for its strength, given its weight.

My experience with most cheap lugs is that they fail before the stud. I imagine the Vette studs are a "good" grade steel but probably not as good as ARP's. It woud be interesting if KATECH could chime in to provide the actual hardness number (such as 200,000 psi tensile strength) if they have it. It had to have been specified to the company that made the lugs that KATECH sells.

Here are some for ARP studs made for NASCAR

ARP Wheel Studs - heat-treated 8740 chrome moly, tensile strength of 200,000 psi, sold in 4 or 5 packs, cadmium plated for extra durability, nuts not included

NASCAR Speed Studs - heat-treated 200,000 psi chrome moly steel, precision J-form threads (formed after heat-treat for improved fatigue strength), nut-starter and bullet shape radius, shot-peened, baked-on dry film lubricant, and double magnaflux inspection, fits the registers of all popular hubs without grinding

NASCAR Speed Nuts - profiled nut face for easy installation, quicker socket releases and resistance to jamming, heat-treated chrome moly, nominally rated at 200,000 psi tensile strength, shot-peened, double magnafluxed, coated with Alumotef III
The lugs are made from Grade 5 6AL-4V titanium which has a tensile strength of about 170,000psi.

We torture tested the lug nuts with 100+ impact torques well above the torque spec until the OEM stud failed. There was no structural damage to the lug or threads. The conical seat had some expected wear and tear due to the harsh impacting.
Old 03-13-2019, 12:01 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
The lugs are made from Grade 5 6AL-4V titanium which has a tensile strength of about 170,000psi.

We torture tested the lug nuts with 100+ impact torques well above the torque spec until the OEM stud failed. There was no structural damage to the lug or threads. The conical seat had some expected wear and tear due to the harsh impacting.
Thanks Jason, you are an asset to the forum, no doubt. That info backs up my field experience (4 yr/2xmo=about 100 guns on/off) of NO VISIBLE WEAR. I lube the contact faces (cone face) so I also have zero galling. Would have spent 20x4=80 lugsx $2.50 avg cost=$200 on yearly lug replacement, not to mention lowering rotating mass. Guys this is a no brainer if you are a racer/competitor.

Quick Reply: Katech Titanium 12x1.5mm 12pt lug nuts. Finally, an affordable, quality Ti lug nut!