Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not good....NCM ordered to stop events

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 11:05 PM
fast jackson
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Not good....NCM ordered to stop events

Per the Bowling Green daily news. Read the story at www.bgdailynews.com
Old 06-29-2015, 11:24 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,103 Likes on 717 Posts

Hopefully just a minor glitch.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:20 AM
PaConehead
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

Man, I hope they can get this resolved without noise restrictions on cars, missing any events, or delaying construction; that is a great track and was developing into a first class facility
Old 06-30-2015, 07:10 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I swear there is always one. That "neighbors" should be "neighbor". I've been to peoples houses that are right beside a dirt track in the middle of the night. It isn't that bad. Way to take one person and say, " I know you guys spent millions of dollars, this boosts our economy, and is super Merica, but every weekend I can hear your engines while I'm outside.

I would love nothing more than for us to get together and make a noise campaign against them. Just take turns at all times of the day setting off fireworks, driving past their house revving engines, and just harassing them till they retract the complaint.
Old 06-30-2015, 08:39 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Too much money involved in the community with all the visitors (hotels, restaurants, NCM and other attractions while there). I am sure the NCM will have this solved shortly. Or, the 'city county planning commission' will need new members. It is all politics. I was supposed to be there in a couple of weeks but I guess that won't happen.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:00 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't have a dog in the fight but certainly have a different take on it than rithsleeper and vote to put a stink **** pig corral on both sides of his home.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:17 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Had to search the newspaper website but here it is.

Hopefully the residents and the NCM can come to some agreement so that the NCM will be able to continue on with the Park.

There are a number of tracks around the country where noise is becoming an issue. In some cases, tracks were built and in use for long periods of time and then people moved into developments that were built near tracks. They would start to complain about the noise. One would have thought they would have been told there was a race track in the area and to expect some amount of noise.

But the NCM facility is not like that so it's going to be up to everyone involved to find a workable solution.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:24 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Track is back open with business as usual. No details yet.

Get your laps in while it is back open. 10/10ths will be there on the 10th-12th.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:56 AM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Glad to see
Old 06-30-2015, 10:18 AM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
Had to search the newspaper website but here it is.

Hopefully the residents and the NCM can come to some agreement so that the NCM will be able to continue on with the Park.

There are a number of tracks around the country where noise is becoming an issue. In some cases, tracks were built and in use for long periods of time and then people moved into developments that were built near tracks. They would start to complain about the noise. One would have thought they would have been told there was a race track in the area and to expect some amount of noise.

But the NCM facility is not like that so it's going to be up to everyone involved to find a workable solution.
Maybe the workable solution, and only solution IMO, is to step up and fulfill the terms of the agreement that allowed the exception for the track to be built at that location with established residential subdivisions and perhaps use some of the $400,000 that the town gave them to do it???

It is almost impossible to believe that this was "sudden" and very believable that the complaints were ignored until they festered into a major issue.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:38 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rbl
It is almost impossible to believe that this was "sudden" and very believable that the complaints were ignored until they festered into a major issue.
Or it could be that the NCM was in compliance the whole time and you just have a few irate residents that don't know how to use a DB meter. The interstate (I65) is immediately adjacent the track and probably makes as much 'noise' as the track itself.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:19 PM
TAlli
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spoke with the track yesterday...they are still open and have NOT been shutdown.

This appears to be an inaccurate article written in the BG Daily News.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:40 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by fast jackson
Per the Bowling Green daily news. Read the story at www.bgdailynews.com
NCM Motorsports Park Addresses Noise Concerns

The NCM Motorsports Park has recently been fielding noise complaints from residents in an adjacent neighborhood. We have been working closely with residents and others and have hired an experienced sound mitigation company to address the noise issues.

On June 29th, at the close of a follow-up meeting with the neighborhood representatives, Planning Commission representative, local magistrate, NCM Motorsports Park representatives and the sound company, the NCM Motorsports Park was issued a Notice of Violation. The meeting participants had just agreed on a plan for data collection beginning mid-July, continuing for about two months to then be analyzed by the sound company who would make a recommendation of options to mitigate the sound levels. Everyone attending the meeting including the Planning Commission representative, the neighborhood committee and the local magistrate all were in agreement that ceasing event activity at this time is not necessary or warranted. The timing of the Notice was most unfortunate as a very meaningful meeting had just concluded with an acceptable plan to move forward to address the noise issues. The sound company representative went with the neighborhood committee to explore the suggested locations and also talked with several other neighborhood residents.

We intend to move forward with the agreement reached at the meeting, therefore the NCM Motorsports Park will fulfill all contracts with our renters as well as continue construction on our planned facilities at the NCM Motorsports Park. We plan to move forward with business as usual, we will not cancel any scheduled events and will continue to book events for future years.

The management team continues to work closely with the local Planning Commission, sound company and neighborhood committee and is making all efforts to bring quick resolution to the noise complaints. Our goals are to offer impeccable customer service to our renters and guests, and be a good neighbor to our community.

We also plan to meet with appropriate officials, to respond timely to the notice and to provide updates on the progress toward total compliance. Although it will take some time to have the sound sources and levels evaluated, determine possible options for mitigation, and implement the appropriate solution, we feel that we are making progress and have a good plan in place. Neighbors commented that they are supportive of the Motorsports Park operations and want it to be successful, as long as the noise does not impair their ability to enjoy their home and property. That is our goal as well.

Old 06-30-2015, 01:45 PM
TAlli
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
NCM Motorsports Park Addresses Noise Concerns

The NCM Motorsports Park has recently been fielding noise complaints from residents in an adjacent neighborhood. We have been working closely with residents and others and have hired an experienced sound mitigation company to address the noise issues.

On June 29th, at the close of a follow-up meeting with the neighborhood representatives, Planning Commission representative, local magistrate, NCM Motorsports Park representatives and the sound company, the NCM Motorsports Park was issued a Notice of Violation. The meeting participants had just agreed on a plan for data collection beginning mid-July, continuing for about two months to then be analyzed by the sound company who would make a recommendation of options to mitigate the sound levels. Everyone attending the meeting including the Planning Commission representative, the neighborhood committee and the local magistrate all were in agreement that ceasing event activity at this time is not necessary or warranted. The timing of the Notice was most unfortunate as a very meaningful meeting had just concluded with an acceptable plan to move forward to address the noise issues. The sound company representative went with the neighborhood committee to explore the suggested locations and also talked with several other neighborhood residents.

We intend to move forward with the agreement reached at the meeting, therefore the NCM Motorsports Park will fulfill all contracts with our renters as well as continue construction on our planned facilities at the NCM Motorsports Park. We plan to move forward with business as usual, we will not cancel any scheduled events and will continue to book events for future years.

The management team continues to work closely with the local Planning Commission, sound company and neighborhood committee and is making all efforts to bring quick resolution to the noise complaints. Our goals are to offer impeccable customer service to our renters and guests, and be a good neighbor to our community.

We also plan to meet with appropriate officials, to respond timely to the notice and to provide updates on the progress toward total compliance. Although it will take some time to have the sound sources and levels evaluated, determine possible options for mitigation, and implement the appropriate solution, we feel that we are making progress and have a good plan in place. Neighbors commented that they are supportive of the Motorsports Park operations and want it to be successful, as long as the noise does not impair their ability to enjoy their home and property. That is our goal as well.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:32 PM
rbl
Drifting

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
Or it could be that the NCM was in compliance the whole time and you just have a few irate residents that don't know how to use a DB meter. The interstate (I65) is immediately adjacent the track and probably makes as much 'noise' as the track itself.
Anything is possible for sure but the Interstate is totally irrelevant to the issue which the NCM has been aware of for quite some time. However, I think a typical Interstate is designed for a 70 dB noise level and new construction is considered a "reasonable increase" at 5- 10 dB above ambient.

A track can produce well over 100 db noise levels and has moved that buffer as much as a mile closer to the residential areas. What prior noise profiles did the NCM undertake to establish the "normal" level so the actual increased levels could be measured to determine if it would indeed be "reasonable"? None I assume.

Now Strode says they need to run the events to get some readings and intend to do so ... if he or the NCM were worth their salt they would have all of that information already.

It seems to have taken an official violation notice to get them off dead center to address it and look at what should have been done initially. They certainly have had plenty of time - if they were interested in being a community partner that is.

Not impressive and the PR really is in the crapper. If I were the city I would call back the $400K at a minimum.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:25 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I give no credit to existing houses and residence who complain about noise from an established track that was there before you were alive or moved in. Do your due diligence and know what you are getting into before you move.

This is a different situation given that it is new construction, the NCM needed to do their research and have these things sorted out, and from the sound of this story it's unclear that they really did all their research before beginning construction.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:46 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Karma
I give no credit to existing houses and residence who complain about noise from an established track that was there before you were alive or moved in. Do your due diligence and know what you are getting into before you move.

This is a different situation given that it is new construction, the NCM needed to do their research and have these things sorted out, and from the sound of this story it's unclear that they really did all their research before beginning construction.
Yes, it was done, and sound forcasts were within alowed limits
mostly because the interstate produced higher levels than expected from track operations

Get notified of new replies

To Not good....NCM ordered to stop events

Old 06-30-2015, 07:05 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

If you google map the area you can see there is a development very close to the track.

I'm betting some homeowners thought the museum was building a track to run Corvettes like they see freshly waxed on the street and in the museum.

Something tells me the 1st time a real race car or race bike started lapping their ears perked up. Lay odds the museum will have to put noise limits into effect which really sucks as the sound of a pack of TA's or race bikes at full song is music.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:50 AM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I plan to attend with 1010ths on the 11th. Kinda makes me uneasy due to my car being very loud. I haven't seen anything stating that need to keep the car to certain db's. I could install my rear exhaust section, but I have the car corner balanced already and the rear section would add @ 30lbs. I need to fine tune my shock settings so don't want the extra weight. I guess I will see how it goes. I would hate to be part of a negative action that caused the track to get shut down.
Old 07-02-2015, 09:11 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

At the last Chin event that I attended at NCM MSP, Chin stated a max allowable noise level of 103.5 dbA. My race car (essentially straight exhaust) is well in excess of 105 dbA. I came prepared with diffusers that could be inserted into the exhaust tips as well as a set of turn-downs. I was not flagged so my conclusion was that they were not actually checking.

I would expect NCM MSP to immediately start enforcing this limit and start evaluating if they can reduce it to an even lower level.

I can understand the neighbor's complaints. I grew up about 6 straight line miles from the Nelson Ledges Road Race course and I could clearly hear them running. There's one development that really close and downwind.....

I really like the NCM MSP so if I have to put mufflers on the car, I'll figure something out.

Jim

Quick Reply: Not good....NCM ordered to stop events