Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have any braking questions.

Old 02-08-2016, 11:24 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
So either way air bubbles, good to know. I guess I'll bleed the system once or twice. Do another run of SRF. If none of that fixes it then I'm switching back to Motul 660. I never had a problem with the Motul 660, tracked 6 times on it and didn't even bleed it once.

Not sure what that means. I emptied the top container. Then I filled it up with fresh fluid and did the two person procedure bleeding through both nozzles on the caliper.

Oh, you mean I didn't top off the brake fluid container? It was topped off the whole time, never ran low during the procedure.
Sounds like you have air in the system. One thing's for sure, it's not the Castrol SRF. That's the best stuff you can get.

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
I'm reluctantly looking for a longer wearing pad compound. Any suggestions?

In 1 40min sprint race and 3 less than 15min qualy sessions I am 2/3 down on my front brake pads. Then 1 qualy and 1 30min sprint race at Autoclub speedway and the pads are near backing and done.

I really like the carbotech pad's kindness to rotors. Rotors don't really wear at all they age out with heat checking spider cracks that continue to grow until I get paranoid as cracks get close to the edge and change them. I have never cracked through a stoptech rotor to vibration.

Calipers: stoptech st40/st41
Rotors: Stoptech trophy floating
pads: Carotech xp20 front xp12 rears
Track: Daytona road course
car: 3540lbs starting weight C5Z06
Try Hawk 70 front and 60 rear. There are many other pads, but Oli, Chuck, Jim and I have run those with no issues for years so they should work for you too. One thing about the Hawks, they can handle a lot of heat. Do you have good cooling ducts forcing air through the center of the rotors? My pads are lasting half a season.

Originally Posted by tmtraylor
Johnny,

I Chumped for the first time yesterday at Road Atlanta...(what an absolute blast!!!) in a BMW e30. The car is 2200'ish pounds, stock e30 brakes, Yokohama Advan Neova tires and we used the PFC 08 brake pads. ABS no worky on the car, the brakes were super sensitive, lacked any kind of feel or feedback on what the tires were doing and would lock in an instant.

Is that too much pad for the system?

Thanks for sharing he knowledge!!!

Tim
We used PFC-08's on our 25 hour of Thunderhill bmw and one set lasted the entire race. I thought they were excellent pads, very progressive and easy to modulate. We were on hankook C51 tires. Maybe you guys have a separate brake issue?
The following users liked this post:
Johnny C @ OG (02-08-2016)
Old 02-08-2016, 02:17 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by redtopz
We used PFC-08's on our 25 hour of Thunderhill bmw and one set lasted the entire race. I thought they were excellent pads, very progressive and easy to modulate. We were on hankook C51 tires. Maybe you guys have a separate brake issue?
my guess is the tires. alot of the 200 qutg tires can last a long time. the compound (friction) could of given up the ghost, but it has plenty of tread left.
Old 02-08-2016, 03:48 PM
tmtraylor
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for the input. Additional brake issue(s) is certainly a possibility. The car is a previous chump racer that is new to us. We are constantly learning and "uncovering" surprises in every system.
Old 02-08-2016, 09:47 PM
2Laidback
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny C @ OG
I always recommend, on double duty cars to swap between street and race pads. Yes it’s a little labor intensive, but it gives you a good chance to get under the car and check out. Take a look at all your suspension pre and post-race. I couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve found a loose bolt and find it on my post-race inspection.

Also whatever pads you are running for race pads, use the same manufacture for street pads. The transfer layers don’t like to mingle well between manufactures, and it kill the friction in the race pads. If you’re running a hawk race pad, for the street swap in a set of hps or hp+
I planned on swapping pads but I wasn't sure about swapping rotors once I upgrade those. Are the Hawk pads going to be as long lasting (in the same situations) as the AP or PFC types. I don't know if they have racing only or have both street and track?

Do you think it is worth the time to install the "Z51 disc cooling rings" or will it be fine if I have proper pads on it?
Old 02-08-2016, 10:05 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Sounds like you have air in the system. One thing's for sure, it's not the Castrol SRF. That's the best stuff you can get.
Super. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2016, 07:51 AM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

New question. I had heard numerous times that a brand new cheap one piece rotor will last longer if you "condition" it by some street driving and running through a few heat cycles. If this is true does the same apply to better floating 2 piece rotors?
Old 02-09-2016, 08:05 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Soloontario
New question. I had heard numerous times that a brand new cheap one piece rotor will last longer if you "condition" it by some street driving and running through a few heat cycles. If this is true does the same apply to better floating 2 piece rotors?
You should always 'condition' new discs when you install them. That applies to any disc...OEM-style, 2-piece racing style, and even CCM. Conditioning is called burnishing or bedding-in. Our engineering director designed and built a machine that we use to do this for professional race teams all over the world. Both the machine and process are now patented. You can see details here. We offer this service to anyone buying our 2-piece AP Racing discs or our AP Racing Competition Brake Kits. The nice thing about having bedding done on a machine is consistency. We can achieve the perfect results every time, whereas when you try to do it yourself, it can be a hit or miss, particularly your first time.

Regardless, I created a video on bedding in discs several years ago in my C5Z06: How to Bed-in / Burnish Brake Discs and Pads

Any disc is going to last longer and perform more consistently if it is prepared properly prior to heavy track use. All of our pro racing discs go out the door burnished. Teams don't have the time mess around with this sort of thing at the track, and drivers certainly don't want to do it. Time is money to them, and they want to hop in and go!

Last edited by JRitt@essex; 02-09-2016 at 08:05 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JRitt@essex:
daleong (02-11-2016), Ludeaem (02-11-2016)
Old 02-09-2016, 08:27 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Laidback
I planned on swapping pads but I wasn't sure about swapping rotors once I upgrade those. Are the Hawk pads going to be as long lasting (in the same situations) as the AP or PFC types. I don't know if they have racing only or have both street and track?

Do you think it is worth the time to install the "Z51 disc cooling rings" or will it be fine if I have proper pads on it?
Hawk DTC-70 and DTC-60 race pads are decent, but not the top of the heap in terms pad choice (I have nothing against them, and we actually sell them). On our dyno we've seen that they tend to fall off in terms of mu at around 1300 degrees F, and they can also cause grooving when run hot. In NASCAR Sprint Cup, they aren't even a consideration, since they can't handle the abuse dished out by those cars.

The Z51 cooling rings are a waste of time. IMO, they were an afterthought, and aren't particularly effective. I did an analysis of the OEM C7 Z51 brake system when we first bought our C7 test mule. The brakes really aren't a great match for the capability of the platform. The OEM discs don't flow enough air to be effective at their size, and the cooling rings are an ineffective band-aid.

If you plan to track your car for the next few years, I'd suggest investing in our AP 2-piece J Hooks. You will save a lot of time, money, and headaches vs. OEM-style discs. They will run much cooler, last far longer, and even shave a few pounds unsprung weight. Your pads will also last far longer while running them, and you'll be less likely to boil brake fluid. IMO, they're one of the biggest 'no-brainer' products we sell for Corvettes.

Also of note...legendary Corvette engineer, racer, and guru John Heinricy just gave us some really nice feedback on our 2-piece AP Racing discs for the C7 Z51.
daleong (02-11-2016)
Old 02-10-2016, 08:12 AM
Soloontario
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
You should always 'condition' new discs when you install them. That applies to any disc...OEM-style, 2-piece racing style, and even CCM. Conditioning is called burnishing or bedding-in. Our engineering director designed and built a machine that we use to do this for professional race teams all over the world. Both the machine and process are now patented. You can see details here. We offer this service to anyone buying our 2-piece AP Racing discs or our AP Racing Competition Brake Kits. The nice thing about having bedding done on a machine is consistency. We can achieve the perfect results every time, whereas when you try to do it yourself, it can be a hit or miss, particularly your first time.

Regardless, I created a video on bedding in discs several years ago in my C5Z06: How to Bed-in / Burnish Brake Discs and Pads

Any disc is going to last longer and perform more consistently if it is prepared properly prior to heavy track use. All of our pro racing discs go out the door burnished. Teams don't have the time mess around with this sort of thing at the track, and drivers certainly don't want to do it. Time is money to them, and they want to hop in and go!

I understand the pad bedding in and transfer layer but was asking about the heating of the rotor alone i.e does the metal itself become tougher if it runs through a few mild heat cycles or maybe even the old style cryo treatments. I have tended to put any new rotor through a couple of months of street driving before bedding in race pads and using it at the track and yes I think I am pretty good at removing the old street pad transfer layer first.
Old 02-11-2016, 10:01 AM
FarmerSid
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Need new flex lines front and rear for C4 IFS and IRS I have under my 51 chev pickup frame. Need some help on selection.

Cheers!
Old 02-11-2016, 11:17 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Originally Posted by FarmerSid
Need new flex lines front and rear for C4 IFS and IRS I have under my 51 chev pickup frame. Need some help on selection.

Cheers!

hit up kns brakes or essex parts they should have some braided stainless lines.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:30 AM
daleong
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
If you plan to track your car for the next few years, I'd suggest investing in our AP 2-piece J Hooks. You will save a lot of time, money, and headaches vs. OEM-style discs. They will run much cooler, last far longer, and even shave a few pounds unsprung weight. Your pads will also last far longer while running them, and you'll be less likely to boil brake fluid. IMO, they're one of the biggest 'no-brainer' products we sell for Corvettes.
Hi Jeff - appreciate all the insight you have provided in this thread. Any downsides (apart from the cost) of running the AP J-hooks exclusively on the street? Just overkill?
Old 02-11-2016, 01:34 PM
FarmerSid
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been searching for new flex lines for my project. I don't have flex lines on my 2 front and 2 rear stock C4 calipers. I think I see that stock all 4 have banjo ends on them and some are bent. Looking to go with SS braided and not stock replacements. Can the banjo ends be straight or do I need bent ones?

Should I be going with a different type? No brake lines have been ran so the hard line to flex line brackets can be welded where needed.

Any insight?
Old 02-11-2016, 02:50 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Been searching for new flex lines for my project. I don't have flex lines on my 2 front and 2 rear stock C4 calipers. I think I see that stock all 4 have banjo ends on them and some are bent. Looking to go with SS braided and not stock replacements. Can the banjo ends be straight or do I need bent ones?

Should I be going with a different type? No brake lines have been ran so the hard line to flex line brackets can be welded where needed.

Any insight?
i can't tell you exactly what needs to be done on a c4 with stock calipers. but braided lines are never a bad idea. they flex a heck of a lot less then the rubber ones that come stock. you should notice a firmer pedal with a good set of braided.

as far as what brand I've always used goodrige with good result. that's the same lines PFC sends out with all brake kits. we only had one failure and that was on a prototype army special forces suburban. it had mid boggling line pressure. thousands of race cars never had an issue.
Old 02-11-2016, 02:53 PM
johnny c
Drifting

Originally Posted by daleong
Hi Jeff - appreciate all the insight you have provided in this thread. Any downsides (apart from the cost) of running the AP J-hooks exclusively on the street? Just overkill?
street use, a good set of Motorsports rotors with excellent metallurgy might outlast the vehicle.
Turbotalon1g (05-14-2021)
Old 02-11-2016, 03:08 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Any insight?
Goodridge(or goodrich - can't remember which is the right name) has stainless braided lines for c4 stock brakes.
I went with Earls, but I don't think they sell them anymore

I tried the goordridge before I went with the earls, and had a hard time keeping them from rubbing on the wheels. The earls were almost an exact fit. The goodridge would be a solution for you since you probably move things around to avoid the issues I had.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:38 AM
johnny c
Drifting

the season is uppon us. anyone have any issues?

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone have any braking questions.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:02 PM
SBC_and_a_stick
Safety Car

Received 551 Likes on 311 Posts

Which is a better system for bringing air to the rotor through a flexible hose:
a) front inlet mounted in the bumper fascia
b) wishbone mounted inlet drawing air from the bottom of the car
Old 02-17-2016, 07:11 PM
2Laidback
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL, I found out after changing out brake lines to SS and fluid that there are 2 bleeders on each piston, not just the outside one, lol. Never saw that mentioned anywhere until I looked into my mushy pedal!! Good Times! Lol
Old 02-18-2016, 10:58 AM
johnny c
Drifting

Originally Posted by SBC_and_a_stick
Which is a better system for bringing air to the rotor through a flexible hose:
a) front inlet mounted in the bumper fascia
b) wishbone mounted inlet drawing air from the bottom of the car
front inlet is going to move more air, but have more overall drag.

bottom inlet will move less cfm of air, but removing air from under the car will have less drag, and might increase front down force.
SBC_and_a_stick (02-25-2016)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does anyone have any braking questions.