Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have any braking questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 10:15 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 360 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by bfit
What pad would you suggest,
The stock gm pad or another brand aftermarket pad
Bob
If it's a street or light track use the GM pad is the most tested and likely best alternative.

If it's hard track there are some options as well.

Ken
The following users liked this post:
bfit (01-30-2018)
Old 01-30-2018, 10:15 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by kdm123
Did a track day this past weekend and had a minor issue that maybe you guys can answer.

On my '03 Z06, the first hard braking during my session caused the car to get really squirly. Once the brakes were warm, I had a nice, solid pedal and the car was stable under braking.

My car has ABS of course.

I can think of a couple things that may have caused this, but what do you guys think?
Sounds like improper pad bedding. Once they got warm, you got a good transfer layer and then they were fine after that.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:02 PM
bfit
Pro

Received 112 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
If it's a street or light track use the GM pad is the most tested and likely best alternative.

If it's hard track there are some options as well.

Ken
Thank you Ken
I will order a set of the GM pads
Thanks again
Bob
Old 02-01-2018, 01:09 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by bfit
Thank you Ken
I will order a set of the GM pads
Thanks again
Bob

I’m sure we would enjoy some feedback and pictures on this build and what you are doing with that car.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:41 AM
kdm123
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter70
Sounds like improper pad bedding. Once they got warm, you got a good transfer layer and then they were fine after that.
Could be, but I don't think so. I bedded them in again on the road just before pulling into the track. Also, it didn't only happen in the first session.
Old 02-01-2018, 01:52 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by kdm123
Did a track day this past weekend and had a minor issue that maybe you guys can answer.

On my '03 Z06, the first hard braking during my session caused the car to get really squirly. Once the brakes were warm, I had a nice, solid pedal and the car was stable under braking.

My car has ABS of course.

I can think of a couple things that may have caused this, but what do you guys think?
Consider adding more details.

Same thing I always ask.

Tires?
Car mods?
Driver skill?
Event type and track?
Other?
Old 02-01-2018, 03:55 AM
kdm123
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 63 Posts

It felt like the rear was locking, but it may have just been the front brakes darting.

I guess to figure this out in my own mind I have to ask:
1) What would the car do if you had unequal braking in the front; i.e. if the right front brake was working normally but the left front brake was barely working. This on an ABS-equipped car.

2) What would the car do if you had unequal rear brakes, such as the right rear brake working fine but the left rear brake not working. This on an ABS-equipped car.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:28 PM
JimMueller
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How would you compare the streetable PAGID pad compounds vs the Ferodo DS2500? Are there any PAGID race compounds that are compatible with their streetable compounds so that one can use the same rotors?
Old 02-02-2018, 03:52 PM
StudebakerJoe
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

C5 emergency brake has no holding power even after new shoes. Any thoughts?
Old 02-04-2018, 05:48 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by StudebakerJoe
C5 emergency brake has no holding power even after new shoes. Any thoughts?
Did you adjust the shoes so they fit properly within the drum inside the rotor hat? There is an adjuster at the top that has to be turned to expand the shoes out to the drum surface. Auto parts stores sell gauges that measure inside diameter of drum and translate that to the outside diameter required for the brake shoes.

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 02-05-2018 at 09:28 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:50 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

What do u think of Cobalt XR-1 pads on a track only car with stop tech st-60/ST-40 setup
Old 02-05-2018, 06:17 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by urslooow
What do u think of Cobalt XR-1 pads on a track only car with stop tech st-60/ST-40 setup
That's a well liked compound and very aggressive. Are you on race tires?
Old 02-05-2018, 06:47 PM
urslooow
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes on R7s
Old 02-05-2018, 07:05 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by urslooow
Yes on R7s
They are well liked by many and the XR1 is the compound for race tires.

I list them for some OEM applications and I am getting to listing them for aftermarket calipers now also.

They are made to order in MI and Andie is a great guy to talk to.

They do have brass rivets in there so you may not want to run them all of the way down.

ST60
http://www.knsbrakes.com/c/caliper-s...328_Cobalt+XR1

ST40
http://www.knsbrakes.com/c/caliper-s...328_Cobalt+XR1
Old 02-05-2018, 09:26 PM
StudebakerJoe
Cruising

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Did you adjust the shoes so they fit properly within the drum inside the rotor hat? There is an adjuster at the top that has to be turned to expand the Pads out to the drum surface. Auto parts stores sell gauges that measure inside diameter of drum and translate that to the outside diameter required for the brake shoes.
I did not. I have ordered the gauge and will check. What should the clearance be? Thanks
Old 02-05-2018, 09:33 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by StudebakerJoe
I did not. I have ordered the gauge and will check. What should the clearance be? Thanks
Supposedly, the gauge has sufficient offset to give you the proper clearance. The problem comes in usage. The shoes move around and aren't always quite centered so sometimes the measurement may get a little tight. Adjust it to what the gauge indicates and try the rotor/drum to see if it fits. If it starts to jam when you put it on be careful it is possible to get it on and not have enough clearance and then have trouble getting it off. It is sort of an iterative process where the gauge gets you into the ball park.

Bill
Old 02-06-2018, 07:34 PM
Rob Joyner
5th Gear

Okay, Johnny C, I have a '08 base model with Z-51. I have 50k miles on it and the pads are starting to wear down pretty far. Can't say I'm in the danger zone yet, think I have a ways to go before that. I grew up in my dad's garage and I've always done most of my work mainly to save money. I've got some age on me now but I'm still considering doing this brake job myself. I'm even going to paint the calipers before re-installing. I guess I could go the cheap route and just put new o-rings in the calipers, slap some pads on there and go with it. The drilled rotors do have some wear but I'm not sure what the minimum thickness should be and whether I will reach such a point before I have to do brakes again, which will likely be never since I'm 70 years old. I do realize that the car is now 10 years old and maybe some other things should be considered. Hope I'm not putting you on the spot here since you feel like I do that safety comes first.
Actually, I've been a member since 2013, but I can't remember my login info so I had to start all over again with a new member account. Ain't bad memory a *itch.

Last edited by Rob Joyner; 02-06-2018 at 07:36 PM. Reason: addition

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone have any braking questions.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:55 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob Joyner
Okay, Johnny C, I have a '08 base model with Z-51. I have 50k miles on it and the pads are starting to wear down pretty far. Can't say I'm in the danger zone yet, think I have a ways to go before that. I grew up in my dad's garage and I've always done most of my work mainly to save money. I've got some age on me now but I'm still considering doing this brake job myself. I'm even going to paint the calipers before re-installing. I guess I could go the cheap route and just put new o-rings in the calipers, slap some pads on there and go with it. The drilled rotors do have some wear but I'm not sure what the minimum thickness should be and whether I will reach such a point before I have to do brakes again, which will likely be never since I'm 70 years old. I do realize that the car is now 10 years old and maybe some other things should be considered. Hope I'm not putting you on the spot here since you feel like I do that safety comes first.
Actually, I've been a member since 2013, but I can't remember my login info so I had to start all over again with a new member account. Ain't bad memory a *itch.
Rob, hard to tell what you're asking, the rotor thickness minimum is stamped on the side of the rotor.

If you're looking for pads, on a non tracked Z-51 car, I would look at GM replacements in ceramic. They'll dust less. I'd also check the wheel bearings since you have everything apart. Hope this helps

mike
Old 02-06-2018, 11:14 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

The minimum thickness should be 32mm (new are 32mm)

The Z51 pads are pretty good so if you like and use the stopping up in those mountains you might want to make sure you get a stronger rather than weaker compound.

Pads, maybe rotors, clean and grease the slide pins and you should be good to go.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:40 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

10 years probably means more than replacing the pads. Since you are thinking about touching up the calipers it might be a good idea to throw in a caliper rebuild kit. GM can provide both the pads with associated caliper hardware and the proper caliper rebuild kit. Rebuilding the calipers is easy and they even provide the proper lube so you install the pistons without tearing up the new seals. Last time I did that was on my C5 (similar caliper). It didn't take long at all to take the calipers apart, clean them and reassemble. The GM pads will come with new pad guide pin bolts, pad retention clips, springs and I believe the caliper rebuild kit might have new caliper mounting bolts.

Bill

Quick Reply: Does anyone have any braking questions.