Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have any braking questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2018, 02:37 PM
Poor-sha
Track Rat
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,400 Likes on 1,372 Posts

Originally Posted by badhabit_wb
I'm still trying to decide what to do about a big brake kit. I've got 7 track days on the st-43 pads and they look good for Tuesday. I read yesterday that's about what you're getting on the 25mm pads you're running. My problem is the first set of rotors with those pads lasted less than 3 track days before I had a crack. I've got 3 track days on these and they still look pretty good so maybe they're going to last longer. I've had no discoloration on the yellow rotors and the car stops well. I just don't want to drop 10 grand and not see much of an improvement.
I can't recommend the AP Racing kit enough. I don't think you need the rear kit but the front kit really makes a huge difference. I don't have any first hand experience with the PFC pads though and it's tough to equate brake life between drivers. For starters, most events I'm running 7-8 sessions not the typical 4 sessions - I know you're at the VIR Club events though so you may be getting more too. The other thing is that I am *very* hard on brakes and that necessarily creates faster wear.

If you don't want to drop the money on front and rear, just get the front kit and run that for a while. The main reason for getting the rear kit is just to save a little unsprung weight and for style points.
The following users liked this post:
JRitt@essex (05-29-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 07:18 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Received 911 Likes on 727 Posts

Originally Posted by Poor-sha
I can't recommend the AP Racing kit enough. I don't think you need the rear kit but the front kit really makes a huge difference. I don't have any first hand experience with the PFC pads though and it's tough to equate brake life between drivers. For starters, most events I'm running 7-8 sessions not the typical 4 sessions - I know you're at the VIR Club events though so you may be getting more too. The other thing is that I am *very* hard on brakes and that necessarily creates faster wear.

If you don't want to drop the money on front and rear, just get the front kit and run that for a while. The main reason for getting the rear kit is just to save a little unsprung weight and for style points.
I'll probably end up getting front and rear because it will drive me crazy looking at the yellow in back and black in front. I'm using Raybestos but they really haul the car down a lot faster than the stock pads.
I was using xp-12 carbotech's before and the st-43's have a lot more bite and are lasting twice as long. I'm going to run at VIR again tomorrow if it doesn't rain so maybe that will help me decide. If I have any brake issues at all I'm going to go ahead and call Jeff. The rotors that cracked in 3 days got me nervous.
Thanks for the help.
JRitt@essex (05-29-2018)
Old 05-28-2018, 09:18 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Default C7 Brake questions?

To the vendors what is available for C7's?

C7 Z51's already have 4 piston Brembo calipers? Are they good to race on? Can we just add aftermarket floating rotors and race pads and be good to go with factory horsepower on road courses? I'm thinking SCCA T1 limited or full prep class as a national competitor racing around the country.

Can the 6 piston Brembo's off the C7Z06 bolt right on using same Z51 rear calipers and Z51 master cylinder? Is going to C7Z06 1" larger rotors a big plus or just extra rotating mass on a stock powered Z51?

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2018, 10:29 AM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 362 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob

C7 Z51's already have 4 piston Brembo calipers? Are they good to race on? Can we just add aftermarket floating rotors and race pads and be good to go with factory horsepower on road courses? I'm thinking SCCA T1 limited or full prep class as a national competitor racing around the country.

Can the 6 piston Brembo's off the C7Z06 bolt right on using same Z51 rear calipers and Z51 master cylinder? Is going to C7Z06 1" larger rotors a big plus or just extra rotating mass on a stock powered Z51?

Thanks!
The C7 Z51 brakes are better than C5/C6 stock brakes but the car is still under-braked if racing or tracking hard on race tires. Big tires, big power so big heat.

Pad and rotor wear is high and the brake fluid boils easily.

The front pad shape is very common so there are many options. The staked on weights are unnecessary.

The front rotors are not common yet. GM has 1 piece and DBA/KNS has 1 and 2 piece. Other aftermarket rotors seem a bit slow coming probably since GM started with the co-cast 2 piece.

The rear pad shape was new but there are suitable options now just not as many as the front shape.

The rear rotors are also the co-cast. DBA/KNS have 1 piece replacements.

Last edited by KNSBrakes; 05-29-2018 at 10:31 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:35 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks!

Wilwood has the popular 14.25" Aero kits available for them as well as 15" front kits if wheel space allows. The C7 has a different mount spec then the C5/6 I do believe so swapping from the earlier car is out of the question.

Depending up on budget and options you can do a full four wheel kit, shipped, for about $3500.

Custom options; colors, thermlock pistons etc all available as well.

Last edited by Todd TCE; 05-29-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 05-29-2018, 04:51 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

We have 2-piece AP Racing J Hook discs for the C7 Z51, front and rear.

We also have an array of complete front and rear brake kits.

You can see all of our options here:

https://www.essexparts.com/my-vehicl...t/Corvette/Z51

I'd be happy to walk you through some options depending on your budget and goals for the car. Feel free to shoot me an email or call me at 704-824-six zero three zero.

Thanks!

Thanks!
Old 05-29-2018, 08:24 PM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

Jeff just want to thank you for your advice and help today. Can't wait to get it all installed. Hopefully I can maintain my sanity when I do the rear.

Sean thanks for giving me another push. I went ahead and ordered front and rear. Might as well do it all at the same time.
Poor-sha (05-29-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 09:00 AM
Ed'sC7
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Which pads

I have a question regarding brake pads for a 2017 GS with Carbon Ceramic rotors. I currently track this car and use the OE Delco pads. Are there better pads at less cost that i can use instead of these expensive OE pads? Even if just switching out for track days.

Ed
Old 08-07-2018, 09:55 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed'sC7
I have a question regarding brake pads for a 2017 GS with Carbon Ceramic rotors. I currently track this car and use the OE Delco pads. Are there better pads at less cost that i can use instead of these expensive OE pads? Even if just switching out for track days.

Ed
Nothing lower cost but there are Pagid Race Pads made to work with Ceramic Rotors:
Front are Pagid U8091
Rear are Pagid U4906

Pagid Compound for the OEM Cup2 Tires is RSC-1.
If you look through this thread you will see that JohnnyC posted that info a couple of years ago.

Have you checked Amazon Prices for the stock replacement AC Delco Pads? If you have been buying at the dealership Amazon may give your the price break you are looking for.

Front Rotor Part Number: 20981825 (ROTOR, RIGHT & Left)
Front Brake Pads Part Number: 23198733 (FRONT PADS) superseded by P/N
ACDelco Part Number is 171-1186

C6 ZR1 Front Brake Pad ACDelco 171-1010 GM OEM Front Disc Brake Pad Kit: Fits C7 but Wear Sensor wires are too short and have to be spliced to old C7 wires to work.
C6 ZR1 Front Rotor will fit C7 Z06/Z07 Front === ACDelco 177-1120 GM Original Equipment Front Disc Brake Rotor OEM Part #: 22805791

C7
Rear Brake Rotor Part Number: 20981826 (ROTOR, RIGHT & Left)

Rear Brake Pad Part Number: 23198750 (REAR PADS) ACDelco 171-1143 GM Original Equipment Rear Disc Brake Pad Set

Bill
Old 08-07-2018, 10:52 AM
Ed'sC7
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks Bill. I appreciate the info...I have seen them a little cheaper on Amazon. Just thought folks maybe using a cheaper alternative that performs just as good.

Ed
Old 09-14-2018, 05:41 AM
Coolvet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This question is off topic but I'm wondering if you can give me some guidance of what master cylinder sizes I should install on a 1969 C3 Corvette 427 race car. The car has 4 spot calipers all round with 1 7/8" pistons on the front and 1 3/8" pistons on the rear. I am fitting a dual master cylinder system with adjustable bias, so what cylinder sizes should I install?

Thanks

Coolvet
Old 09-14-2018, 08:37 AM
badhabit_wb
Safety Car

I'd just use a stock master cylinder for that year model.

Last edited by badhabit_wb; 09-14-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 04:55 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 179 Likes on 161 Posts

Stock sizes would be a good start.

Last edited by mikeCsix; 09-14-2018 at 04:58 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:41 AM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Pretty obvious that nobody is reading what you wrote.

Bore sizes will be based on a number of factors. One of the main ones being how hard you want to push.

Off the top of my head....a 1" front and 3/4 or 13/16 rear seems about right. Guessing a bit that should be about 50/50 maybe to allow the adjuster to come into play. That's a pretty big split (like the piston sizes) so be sure there's no pivot binding. Or consider larger bore rear calipers requiring less line pressure.

Overall figure a larger pair means you push harder. A smaller pair push with less effort.

While I did not spend any time on it try this;
http://www.tceperformanceproducts.com/dual-bias-calc/

Last edited by Todd TCE; 09-15-2018 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:25 PM
nickpe
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

can i replace my c4 front brakes with c5...if so what do i need
Old 09-18-2018, 03:54 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Thanks!
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-150-pads.html
Old 10-15-2018, 04:38 PM
hemmerman
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Carbon Ceramic brakes on my 1LZ ZO6 2017

Johnnie C:: im having issues with CC brakes. I get a warning message every start up saying "warn brakes" Chevy dealer here in middle TN is baffled. Im a GM employee and know some folks in Corvette quality. I wrote to one manager in Corvette brand quality in Warren MI. he tells me its probably one of the front pad sencers. Also another issue something is rubbing the wheel weights off the inside of the wheel about two inches in from the inside. . thanks for any help

Get notified of new replies

To Does anyone have any braking questions.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:27 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,924 Likes on 5,330 Posts

Originally Posted by hemmerman
Johnnie C:: im having issues with CC brakes. I get a warning message every start up saying "warn brakes" Chevy dealer here in middle TN is baffled. Im a GM employee and know some folks in Corvette quality. I wrote to one manager in Corvette brand quality in Warren MI. he tells me its probably one of the front pad sencers. Also another issue something is rubbing the wheel weights off the inside of the wheel about two inches in from the inside. . thanks for any help
You could easily have an issue with one of the brake wear sensors. They are attached to the inside pad in all 4 calipers. You can pull the wheels and inspect each pad and each sensor. The sensors are nothing but a phenolic block with a wire running through it and are mounted on the edge of the inside pad. When the pad is worn sufficiently the sensor starts rubbing against the rotor and the phenolic is worn away. When the wear gets down to the point the rotor is hitting the wire the wire breaks and you get a warning on the dash. Sometimes a sensor isn't placed correctly on the pad and it wears through too early or something else interrupts the circuit like a broken sensor wire between the caliper and the circuit connector that is located on the cradle. The connector could also be loose.

Of course a pad could be worn as well. Most of it is easy to check just by removing the wheels.

As for something rubbing the wheel weights on the wheel 2 inches from the inside I can't imagine what that might be if you are running the stock wheels. They should be large enough in diameter to clear the upper ball joint in the UCA. You should pull the wheel where you are seeing the weights being rubbed and check all around the suspension to see if there is something sticking out that would hit the wheel in that area.

It could be your two problems are related to the same cause so check the front pads and sensors but also check for something being where it shouldn't be.
Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 10-15-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:46 PM
Bruce Powelson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wilwood's on my 68 won't firm up

I've tried pumping the pedal, gravity bleed, pressure bleed, tilting the rears vertical, replacing the master that was also bench bled, hitting the calipers with a rubber mallet and still have a soft pedal. It goes almost to the floor. Have manual brakes. Using Dot 4 fluid and have gone through more than 2 quarts. Proportioning valve (only a distribution block in 68) isn't turning on the bake light so seems OK. What else is there to try?
Old 10-17-2018, 01:54 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Discounting wheel sizes are c5 big brake kits ok to move to c6 cars? The uprights are the same. What about master cylinder diameters or part numbets the same?

Quick Reply: Does anyone have any braking questions.